The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Whiskey Glass

Yes you do...the one on the right is called the Glencairn “Canadian Whiskey Glass”....thus the maple leaf on the bottom. Designed for rye and of a size and shape that affords nosing and the drinking of whiskey neat or on ice.
I thought you were saying the baseless one was actually called a Canadian Glencairn. I've been trying to figure out the name of that glass shape for a while now.

If I'm drinking something extra special or new, I like a Glencairn or other general tulip shaped glass to work through all the aromas. If it is a good staple that I am familiar with, a rocks glass is just fine. Or sometimes you forget good glasses and end up putting Laphroig 30 in a plastic cup...it was still damn good through. Just enjoy your whiskeys.

I thought you were saying the baseless one was actually called a Canadian Glencairn. I've been trying to figure out the name of that glass shape for a while now.
Made by Glencairn and called the Canadian Whiskey Glass. That is actually its name. Came out years ago as a promo glass and when you would buy a Canadian Rye like Canadian Club one came with the bottle. I liked them so much when they finally got released on their own as a 6 pack I bought two sets, one for me and one for Dad. You punch that into Amazon and it will show up, no maple leafs on them anymore me thinks... :sneaky:

So @Somnos would you say the one I posted would still be considered a Canadian Glencairn? I"ve looked up several pics, and all the Canadian Glencairns I saw look similar to yours, where the neck takes a slight outward turn. Mine is more straight up, like a slightly larger version of the original Glencairn. I still can't find another glass like it.

So @Somnos would you say the one I posted would still be considered a Canadian Glencairn? I"ve looked up several pics, and all the Canadian Glencairns I saw look similar to yours, where the neck takes a slight outward turn. Mine is more straight up, like a slightly larger version of the original Glencairn. I still can't find another glass like it.
It is.

But if you're curious, this is what you get when you google "What is KJ's glass"
1600701415070.png

He's in the UK and makes stuff like this:
1600701496819.png

1600701515165.png

Glercairn makes two versions of my glass "Canadian" with the maple leaf and one without which they call their "mixer" glass.

I can't see if yours is branded by Glencairn or not. The fact that is a Glenlivet branded glass makes it most likely from Scotland and many distilleries have glasses and special decanters made for them. Your glass has a pronounced dimple in the raised centre which aids in swirling the glass but also for holding a large round ice cube so you can swirl your whicky around it.

@Spider it most certainly is a "nosing tumbler"...yours is the tall one....either way as long as you are enjoying what is in the glass...is all that matters!

glass_gle14.jpg11694_0_glenlivet_whiskyglas_glglev05160010_01.jpg

Last edited:
Hey KJ does your glass have that dimple? It looks like it in the picture. Whiskey not Whicky...whatever that is...

Ed, I thought you were talking about the 6 oz Glencairn and the 2.5 oz Wee Glencairn when you asked what size.

Ed, I thought you were talking about the 6 oz Glencairn and the 2.5 oz Wee Glencairn when you asked what size.
No buddy...Though the Wee glass is cute I wouldn't know what to do with it. I use the 6oz for just about every whiskey I have and of course the larger glass ahhhh, is for more whiskey! :sneaky: Would you buy a set of the Wee ones?

Last edited:
Back