The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

When it all goes wrong

Well had an interesting game today. As many of you know I referee highschool football and basketball. Today in basketball game I had a technical foul on a player 5 seconds into the game. Yes it might be a record.

As the player is driving to the hoop he thinks he is fouled. Turns to me and says, "you gonna call the f-ing foul or are you blind" he then proceeded to clap in my face.

Easy T. While at the table the coach asks what happened I told him, and he said, " little early in the game for that isn't it?"

My response, coach not sure how you let your players talk to you but I won't let people disrespect me like that, good luck rest of the way.

Coach was pretty irate. He didn't make it to halftime before being ejected.

Ssportsmanship is dead.
Boy, this really saddens me.

40 (almost) years ago I coached baseball. Little league.

We had to ump our own games. I'd get booed for calling our own kids out at first on close calls. The kids would ALWAYS apologize for their parents.

So sad. One of those kids got a kollege football scholarship, another pitched in the majors.

There is SO MUCH good about kids and sports, and adults are doing more harm than good.

Thank you for your service my friend.

Monday, my partner took the rear head off one of the rip saws. These are very large saws sort of along the lines of a table saw. Differences are the blade is on the top and there are "heads" in front of and behind the blade that have a series of pressure rollers in them. The table has an 8 inch wide chain made of serrated plates that feed the wood through the blade.

I thought I had a picture, but don't. This is a Mattison 202. Ours are Mattison 400's, so a fair bit bigger and also have a panel sizer on them.

Used-Mattison-202-Rip-saw---straight.jpeg

He completely rebuilt hte head with all new bearings and put it back on. We still were fighting with the tracking and it cutting in an arc no matter how we adjusted it.

Yesterday, we change the blade and the stabilizers. Still cutting weird.... We put an indicator on the blade and it is running out about 8 to 10 thousandths of an inch.
So we take the blade off and check the shaft collar. It is running out about 3 thousandths. The shaft was running about a half a thousandth out, but had about 4 thousandths of play.
We pull the back off, pull the collar off, the front bearing housing, the rear bearing, the two matched precision bearings in the front, and the adjustment sleeve.
I set op the collar in the lathe and indicated it to run true at the bore, then turned the face so it was true and square with the shaft bore. We cleaned everything up and put new bearings in front and back. Got it back together this morning. Got it adjusted again and it finally seemed to be cutting straight.

For a little bit.........

It started cutting odd again. Nothing consistent either. Bowed one time. Fine the next. Leaving a tip on the end of the cut. Just random stupid stuff that will screw up the glue joint.

So we pulled the 200 pound chain and the guide rails out and replaced them. Got the babbit in the middle cut out. (There is a softer consumable material in the center of the chain so the blade can cut slightly into it allowing the cut to go fully through the wood.)

Got that all back together with another new blade, and.......... It's still screwing up........
We have adjusted and replaced pretty much every moving part that would affect the cut. Still no clue as to what is happening. One of the guys has been there 15 years, the other 30, and the operator somewhere around the 25 mark and none of them have seen one do this.

So tomorrow will be yet another day of trying to do something...... Don't know what, but something....

What about any fencing that is guiding the wood? Maybe that's got some play in it somewhere? Doesn't make sense since all the moving parts are replaced or fixed. Just a thought to start looking at the non-moving parts.

What about any fencing that is guiding the wood? Maybe that's got some play in it somewhere? Doesn't make sense since all the moving parts are replaced or fixed. Just a thought to start looking at the non-moving parts.
Actually there is a lot of play in the fence. It free floats.
There is a stop set at roughly an 1/8 inch to edge one side, then it can be pushed to the side to make larger cuts and stops set as needed, and it returns with the use of a weighted cable.

It is used to make panels. They get a pallet of rough planed boards that have been cut off at the length needed for the order. They run one pass through to edge the board, then cut pieces at varying widths to make up the total panel width. On the back side of the saw, there is an table built on that has an adjustable stop they size for the panel. The operator will cut any staining or knots out and the tailing person will lay the pieces on the sizing table. When it is close the operator steps on a pedal that lifts a stop and runs it against the stack while catching and moving the fence the same distance. That way they don't have to measure each piece cut to get maximum yeild and are still able to hit a consistent size every time for the finished panel.

If any of that rambling makes sense....

Once the board is on the chain though, it is all the rollers and chain that do any guiding. Those have all been replaced and adjusted, hence our confusion.

Last edited:
If any of that rambling makes sense....

I can see that all working in my mind. That's a pretty amazing process and piece of machinery. I'm still guessing the problem is still something simple and floating or stationary of some kind. It should be cutting straight based on what you said you guys replaced earlier.

Gosh I miss solving problems like that! In my last job we had a stench problem that was a sewer gas issue. We checked everything including the executive kitchen grease trap. We even extended the flue on top of the roof thinking a southern wind was blowing the flue gases to the intakes for the air conditioning / heating system. We tried everything. I never solved it before leaving. It would only occur when we had huge events and the executive kitchen was in heavy use. I got a call a few months ago from my replacement and they accidentally discovered the issue. One of the restroom gas vents was installed, ran up into the ceiling but was never connected to the main flue. When you look at this thing, and I did, you saw the vent going right up where it was supposed to go. It looked fine, but an outside vendor was checking something else and discovered it. Believe me, you don't crawl around up in there unless you are sure there's a dang good reason to be up in there. From the top step of the ladder, with a flashlight, looking up 50 feet in the air it looked perfectly fine. Some PVC pipe glue and a twist solved the problem......dang I would have liked to be the hero who found that!

Back