The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What's in front of you?

$250 in pipe, fittings, cutter, flux, solder, hose bib, and a awesome torch and I’m well on my way to becoming a plumber…
View attachment 112821

It’s still cheaper than calling a plumber and now I have learned a new life skill and can fix stuff in the future.
Based on that response, the investigative team has concluded you sabotaged the pipes so you could by the "Awesome Torch" . It also assumes you may have bought a new Tool Belt as well LOL

With our house most home repairs end with me saying... How the hell did the last guy do this? I swear the previous owners were idiots.
Sounds like my first house, nothing was right about that house. My current home had a few creative issues courtesy of the contractor-owner who owned it prior to us but it isn’t quite so bad. I think the builder just went the cheaper route whenever he could.
When it comes to copper pipe work I generally defer to a ‘pro’. Every time I tried doing anything myself it’s gone very wrong. I am marginally better with steel pipe but it has limited application here. I do all my own pvc/abs pipe work though.

With 5 jeeps in the family I spend most of my time and tool budget on those. I just put an aftermarket air conditioner in my ‘95 yj and helped my sone do his. I’ll be doing steering boxes on my daughters and my own this week. Then the main seal on my daughter’s jeep.

Sounds like my first house, nothing was right about that house. My current home had a few creative issues courtesy of the contractor-owner who owned it prior to us but it isn’t quite so bad. I think the builder just went the cheaper route whenever he could.
When it comes to copper pipe work I generally defer to a ‘pro’. Every time I tried doing anything myself it’s gone very wrong. I am marginally better with steel pipe but it has limited application here. I do all my own pvc/abs pipe work though.

With 5 jeeps in the family I spend most of my time and tool budget on those. I just put an aftermarket air conditioner in my ‘95 yj and helped my sone do his. I’ll be doing steering boxes on my daughters and my own this week. Then the main seal on my daughter’s jeep.
Alicia has a 2006 Jeep Liberty Sport ( KJ ) and the AC compressor just recently went out again ( the compressor is less than 2 years old )... I will do a lot of the work on her jeep but I am not comfortable enough to tackle that yet. Hopefully I can take it and get it fixed for her in a week or 2.... Maybe one day , I will have the confidence like you do to tackle that type of repair...

If you are talking about the pipes , and if you have many pipe leaks , you might want to consider changing out the pipes with PEX pipes. Our water , living on the lake where we do does NOT like brass or copper pipes and most of ours have been "converted" to PEX....
It actually wasn’t a leak per se. The frost free hose bib went bad and it would not shut off and it couldn’t be fixed. So it necessitated the installation of a new one. Luckily we’ve never had a leak, so far!

I’m lucky to have a really cool neighbor who has the heart of a teacher. He told me I could fix it for less than having a plumber out and I’d gain experience to do it again if needed. He had me up at his house and we soldered a bunch of pipes to practice. Then he took me to the store and helped me pick out everything. I’m confident that the work will turn out well!

Car repair tip I'm pretty sure you all know, but just in case:

There are 4 auto parts chain stores in my town. NAPA, AutoZone, Advance Auto, and O'Reilly's.

They all provide testing of batteries, starters, and alternators.

The person working at an auto parts store is not a mechanic, and is as qualified to diagnose your problem as a pharmacy tech would be qualified to diagnose an illness.

If you get those parts tested at one of these stores, and your part fails the test, *do not consider this result definitive*. Interpret them to mean that you need to have someone qualified investigate the issue. There are many things that will cause that component to fail a test that aren't caused by the component being bad.

I work at one of these stores, and see people have a component fail the test, buy and install a new one, only to reveal the problem was elsewhere in the system.

You don't want this to happen. An installed part isn't usually returnable.This will make you very unhappy, and your car still won't work.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

We were planning on drinking so we (my wife) decided we (I) shouldn't drive (probably the right choice) and the drunk bus holds many memories for us over the years.
However, these young punks kept offer the old people their seats...and we were the old people. 😳

Also, no teens were hurt during the excursion, so it's all good. 👍

Back