The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What's in front of you?

Not to mention the Grolsch in a Can! 10 demerit points to the Meh House

Grolsch bottles only!! Heathen!

Alas, they only had the cans, BabbDabbid. I actually wanted the 1.5 l bottle but I think they only come out at Christmas time. I didn't even pour it into a glass as I was going to sit in a folding chair under a tree and the can fits into the pocket on the chair's arm.

WOW! Had a client today give me these. as a barber and somewhat of a collector of vintage “Barber Stuff”. This was awesome and humbling

IMG_0793.jpeg
My client is 75 and his grandfather was a barber and these were his sheers. All Carbon steel and will be researching them. They are branded Alegany Corp Instrument.
IMG_0796.jpeg
IMG_0795.jpeg
They are not Hair cut ready, however I told him that if my sharpening guy can get a good edge and the pass the cut test I would cut his hair with them. He actually teared up, as the last hair cut he got by him was when he was 6, and his grandfather retired soon after. So I am hoping that they are viable, as the steel looks good, and to be able to use the same sheets that his grandfather used on him some 70 year or so later will be a treat.

WOW! Had a client today give me these. as a barber and somewhat of a collector of vintage “Barber Stuff”. This was awesome and humbling

View attachment 111279
My client is 75 and his grandfather was a barber and these were his sheers. All Carbon steel and will be researching them. They are branded Alegany Corp Instrument.
View attachment 111280
View attachment 111281
They are not Hair cut ready, however I told him that if my sharpening guy can get a good edge and the pass the cut test I would cut his hair with them. He actually teared up, as the last hair cut he got by him was when he was 6, and his grandfather retired soon after. So I am hoping that they are viable, as the steel looks good, and to be able to use the same sheets that his grandfather used on him some 70 year or so later will be a treat.
From Allegheny ,NY. About 20 minutes from me. There are straights with the same stamping. Not sure about true maker of the shears but I believe that Carl Monkhouse made the straights with that mark, as well as the Burrell "Top Flight" straights,

From Allegheny ,NY. About 20 minutes from me. There are straights with the same stamping. Not sure about true maker of the shears but I believe that Carl Monkhouse made the straights with that mark, as well as the Burrell "Top Flight" straights,
Awesome thanks Gerry

Actually, after reviewing some of my info I believe I had it backwards, I think Burrell made the straights and Monkhouse made the shears.

New plan: Travel to Tucson....visit Hombres Barber shop (the sweeeetest smelling barber shop in Tucson) and get a haircut with those heirloom shears.

For those following along my shear sharpener was able to get these back into perfect shape again, so I will be cutting the hair of the client that gave me these shears who were his grandfathers when his grandfather was a Barber. So that’ll be kind of cool

Back