The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What's blasting in your headphones?

I guess that is enough of my "Sad Bastard" Music for the day. At least that is what my friends call the music I listen too! 🤪

The National is in my Top 5 of absolute favorite groups...Might be in the Top 2 actually!

Sorry...can't stop listening to these guys this morning! Maybe it's the pot of coffee I drank...yup a pot! A 14 cup pot too!

Well, I didn't have anything blasting from my headphones or my speakers tonight but I did have the honor of seeing the great Herbie Hancock perform live at The Beacon Theatre in NYC tonight. I had not seen him before, but I love his music such as the great Maiden Voyage and his Headhunters stuff. He covered lots of stuff tonight. One of the other people I was there to see was one of my favorite drummers and one who has influenced my playing a fair amount as I started listening to him when I first heard him playing with Frank Zappa, the great Vinnie Colaiuta. I once saw him playing with Chaka Khan at Radio City many years ago but I was sitting in literally the last row of the orchestra so the people on the stage looked really really small. So I barely saw him then. And I should have seen him playing during a Frank Zappa show at the Palladium back in 1980, and while I had 4th row tickets, they were so far to the left of the stage that I had zero view of the drums due to the massive PA speakers stacked on the side of the stage. And I could only see Frank when he came forward for solos or to sing. I actually can't remember seeing anyone else in the band. The sound was great. But the rest of the experience was lost, other than experiencing the freak show that the Palladium used to become on Halloween. But I digress. The whole band was awesome. And for this show we had pretty good seats. Row P in the center orchestra. Perfect view of Vinnie and everything. I was in heaven. The great James Genus was on bass. He had a guitarist that I don't know who was awesome and a keyboard/sax/vocalist that was also awesome. Thundercat opened up for Herbie. My son really likes him and enjoyed his act a lot. I have listened to some of his stuff because my son suggested I should check him out. So I actually knew most of the tunes he played. I'll say that he and his two band mates are awesome players. The drummer is pretty good. But if there is any criticism I can level at him, it's that every song sounds similar in that it seems as though he and the band are playing as many notes as fast as they can in the shortest amount of time possible. But my son likes him so that's all that matters. I am really glad to have been able to catch Herbie as he's now 79 years old. But the guy is in awesome shape. He even broke out his keyboard that is played like a guitar strapped over his shoulder. I only wonder how he was able to stand up while that thing was strapped to him. It was huge and almost bigger than he is. I'm trying to get out and see some of the greats that I have not yet seen before it's too late. Like I wished I had been able to see Weather Report before Zawinul passed away. Now I have to check my list and see who else I need to see. Herbie was great.

Can't figure out why I think of @Dave in KY every time I hear this song! 🤪 At any rate...this song is just good for the soul! Now I am hankering for some White Beans and Rice or a nice Cassoulet!

Back