The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What's blasting in your headphones?

About to get in the car with my 16 year old son to go see this show. Will be cranking Frank on the hour long drive. Will have some sushi before the show and hopefully it will be a good one. Some mixed feelings about this one given what Ahmet has done to Dweezil. I just couldn't resist hearing former Zappa band members playing the music of FZ along with a recording of FZ. Dweezil did it early on in the ZPZ days.

About to get in the car with my 16 year old son to go see this show. Will be cranking Frank on the hour long drive. Will have some sushi before the show and hopefully it will be a good one. Some mixed feelings about this one given what Ahmet has done to Dweezil. I just couldn't resist hearing former Zappa band members playing the music of FZ along with a recording of FZ. Dweezil did it early on in the ZPZ days.

A little follow up. Saw the show. Extremely disappointed. Just so you know it wasn't all bad, the band was pretty good. Former Zappa band members. The only one I never cared for is Scott Thunes, the bass player. And the set list was good. They drew heavily from Roxy and Elsewhere, Apostrophe and Overnight Sensation. But that is where the good stuff ends. The setup had a massive display set up in the shape of a Stonehenge kind of thing with the hologram screen in the middle. The band was sort of shoehorned onto the stage with 3 people on one side and the other 3 on the other side of the stage. They were clumped together on each side of the stage as though they were an afterthought. The hologram of Frank was poor quality, almost cheesy. It looked like a cartoon. Hardly worth all the hype thrown on it. The video they plastered on the stonehenge like display panels was distracting. And at one point, totally inappropriate. Most of the stuff was old video clips of frank, album covers and some claymation from Baby Snakes. They also used it to show close ups of the band but ruined it by making it look "old" with special effects. But some of the stuff was clearly new and created specifically for this show. The inappropriate stuff was during one tune where they showed cartoon characters snorting coke. Large piles of cock. And the coke flying through the air and into the nostrils of the characters. It's almost as though Frank's son Ahmet who created this production forgot the fact that Frank did not care for drugs. I guess Ahmet also forgot that there would be young kids in the audience. I had my 16 year old with me. Then Ahmet actually got up and started talking about the "long journey" it took to get there. Which I don't understand. Other than the cheesy poor quality hologram that he hired someone to make and only used the hologram for 4 or 5 out of 21 songs, there was nothing new here. The concept of having a live band play along with recordings of Frank was done years ago by Dweezil. Journey my foot. And then, incredulously, Ahmet sang two tunes. He can't sing. He sucks. And he danced around like a clown. It was pretty pathetic. And my last complaint. You can't perform classic Zappa music live without doing Muffin Man. Guess what. No Muffin Man. Interestingly, there was not one standing ovation. I've been to Dweezil's shows 6 or 7 times. During one show in LA the audience gave him standing ovations after EVERY SINGLE TUNE. I kid you not. And just to show you I'm not alone in my feelings, I was waiting for my son in the lobby after the show and I overheard someone say "Dweezil puts on a much better show than Ahmet." I wholeheartedly agree. If Ahmet continues to put these shows on, I won't be going. But when Dweezil brings his latest iteration of a tribute to his father, performing the entire Hot Rats album, I'll be going. I'll go see Dweezil's shows for as long as he decides to do them. To say I was disappointed is an understatement.

Back