The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What ya eatin?

My wife used to bake a lot then the kids came around and we started eating healthier. I do miss it at times. But occasionally I get treated. But man any dessert that has PB is my ideal dessert

That’s 100% dry ingredients. Weird recipe. How does it stay together? Magic?

I usually stick with fairy dust. ;)

Full recipe (Adapted from Ken Forkish's Saturday White Bread recipe from his excellent book "Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast":

250 g All Purpose Flour
100 g White Whole Wheat Flour
150 g Spelt Flour
390 g warm water

Mix until well combined and allow to rest for 20-30 mins.

Sprinkle 11 g fine salt (sea salt, table salt (not iodized, preferably) and 1/2 tsp active dry yeast on dough
Thoroughly mix to combine, using your hands

This is a no knead bread recipe, so proceed to stretch and fold the dough until it is smooth and glossy, and it's tough to stretch the dough. This takes about 5 minutes and is notably not kneading on the counter or using a mixer with a dough hook.

Rest at room temperature, covered. Stretch and fold 3x over the course of an hour.

Let it sit at room temperature for 4 hours to rise (it will double in size or so).

Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and do one stretch and fold, flipping the dough over so that the folded side is on the bottom, and use your hands to progressively rotate the dough until it's a nice round that has a taut surface and holds its shape.

Move the dough to a wicker basket or just sit it on the counter, covering in either case and allow it to proof at room temperature for 75 minutes.

In the meantime, preheat the oven and a 4-5 quart dutch oven to 475 degrees.

At the end of the proofing time, take the dutch oven out of the oven and using lightly floured hands, move the dough to the dutch oven, being careful not to burn yourself.

Put the lid on and stick it back in the oven at 475.

Bake for 20 minutes and then reset the temperature to 445.

After 10 more minutes, remove the lid and continue baking.

Bake for 15 more minutes then remove the loaf and tip it onto a cooling rack.

The standard recipe has you bake it at 475 for the whole time, but for me, we don't like the very dark crust that you get. As you can see, this one gives you a lighter crust, but you can play with the temperature or baking time to make it darker or lighter.

I don't eat bread anymore, and I've never really made it myself, but I didn't realized you could make bread with just flour and water. Figured you needed at least and egg or something else to help keep it together. Interesting. Thanks for posting the full recipe.

I don't eat bread anymore, and I've never really made it myself, but I didn't realized you could make bread with just flour and water. Figured you needed at least and egg or something else to help keep it together. Interesting. Thanks for posting the full recipe.
Gluten is pretty sticky stuff. That's the main reason most gluten free recipes get so screwy. It's hard to make up for.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gluten is pretty sticky stuff. That's the main reason most gluten free recipes get so screwy. It's hard to make up for.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Indeed. I’m impressed with most of the products that have come out commercially in the last 10 years though, sometimes you can barely tell the difference!

Tonight's dinner, spaghetti squash with a cream cheese sauce and imitation crab. Added some heat to my plate296297

Back