The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What is New to You...... SPEAKEASY EDITION

state wide lottery for allocated spirits.
In my state the local grocery store (which has a bar inside) picks its own barrels of Knob Creek, JD, etc, for private bottlings.... just sayin'. ..

Drops-Mic-Walks-Away-Gif.gif

You guys in state controlled liquor locals have it rough.

In my state the local grocery store (which has a bar inside) picks its own barrels of Knob Creek, JD, etc, for private bottlings.... just sayin'. ..

Drops-Mic-Walks-Away-Gif.gif

You guys in state controlled liquor locals have it rough.
I some ways yes, but others no. We still can get some barrel picks. Since all stores are state run, we don't have the variety of barrel picks for sure. However I also don't deal with price gouging in PA like many others do. A good example is Buffalo Trace, any PA store that has it will be selling it for $26.99. If I drive 20 minutes to Western New York (private liquor stores) I will have to pay $46 - $55 for the same bottle. So good and bad.

I some ways yes, but others no. We still can get some barrel picks. Since all stores are state run, we don't have the variety of barrel picks for sure. However I also don't deal with price gouging in PA like many others do. A good example is Buffalo Trace, any PA store that has it will be selling it for $26.99. If I drive 20 minutes to Western New York (private liquor stores) I will have to pay $46 - $55 for the same bottle. So good and bad.
Your example is 15.99 to 17.99 here.

Ah yes, the classic debate between the benefits of living in a Control state vs and Open or Franchise one. There are obvious pluses and minuses to both, but in my experience the benefits of state-run Control appear to outweigh the benefits of Open/Franchise (no price gouging, state run lotteries, etc.)

Binny's here in Chicagoland is doing a lottery again this year for Goose Island's annual Bourbon County release, which I far prefer to the old get-up-crazy-early-and-camp-out-only-to-not-get-anything model.

You can buy a new, unopened, 750ml bottle of Buffalo Trace Bourbon for $16???
yes but what is strange is that at one place its a 375ml bottle and another its the 750 ml bottle and they are basically the same price.... They are within a dollar of each other..

Last edited:
yes but what is strange is that at one place its a 375ml bottle and another its the 750 ml bottle and they are basically the same price.... They are within a dollar of each other..
That doesn’t sound right…had to have been mislabeled lol. 🤔

Alright, so after a week of drops at various stores I missed and striking out today, I’m going to determine if MWND is as good as I remember.
Bought the Rendezvous Rye to compare to a dram of last year’s MWND. And when I did the tasting with Savage and Cooke earlier in the year they discussed their Bad Sweater holiday whiskey and it sounded tasty.
BFD09C26-3E29-4A64-A748-4805BF216BFB.jpeg

Alright, so after a week of drops at various stores I missed and striking out today, I’m going to determine if MWND is as good as I remember.
Bought the Rendezvous Rye to compare to a dram of last year’s MWND. And when I did the tasting with Savage and Cooke earlier in the year they discussed their Bad Sweater holiday whiskey and it sounded tasty.
View attachment 65463

When I took @uacowboy to High West on Monday they still had some. Sound like you need a road trip

Back