The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Houbigant Fougere Royale

0aFXHpM.jpg

I only have a 3ml sample of this; and I am only wearing it for the first time ever today, but I am in love.

This is good. ... This is off the charts good. ... This is "buy the bottle for full retail and not have buyer's remorse" level of good.

It is woody and spicy with hints of oud, sandalwood, and cedar. The cardamom is pleasant and not overdone. The juniper and black hemlock make it really interesting. To my nose it comes off old-school gentlemanly with a unique twist.

I will be getting a full bottle of this!

Histoires de Parfums - This is not a Blue Bottle 1/.6

This is a citrus floral. Opening seconds are a strong photorealistic orange, like you just cut one open, which fades to more of an orange peel scent, but not a dirty one, rather again, photo realistic. Soon the jasmine kicks in, and dominates the middle for quite a while until the base comes into play where vanilla and the orange peel come up and balance the jasmine forming an accord.

The first two phases are pretty mono syllabic; fresh, real orange, and then fresh real jasmine. We used to have orange trees in the backyard and a big jasmine bush in the front, I'll always enjoy jasmine and it's one floral note I don't mind wearing. If you've ever use Myrsol Don Miguel, the jasmine is very similar.

I'd call this pretty unisex. but leaning feminine, largely due to the vanilla and white musk in the final dry down. I read that in Spain, jasmine is considered to be a masculine scent, but I can imagine it’s going to feel pretty feminine to most guys here.

The bottle this one comes in is pretty cool too. It’s quite weighty, and the orange dots have some serious texture.

IMG_8416.jpeg

Last edited:
Back