The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Do You Do to support your Aquisition Disorders.

Can you get control of your crickets though...seriously...
1f602.png
I live in the country, what do you expect? I love it, much better than city noises any day.

There's always one in every crowd. A lawyer, that is. And that would be me. (I suspect there are others, but I respect their desire to keep it secret...)

I was a corporate finance lawyer in private practice for 32 years. Securities offerings, M&A transactions, board governance, etc. Six years ago, when my kids' tuition payments stopped, I decided to join up with a local non-profit arts organization I'd spent many years with, as a volunteer on their advisory council. I convinced my wife that we should move back to the city from the suburbs, take the pay cut, and re-live the joys of our youth.

As general counsel for my arts organization, which happens to own a music radio station, I focus mostly on content licensing (largely music, but other intellectual property as well). Right now I'm focused on making sure the $700 million KeyArena renovation next door doesn't unduly disrupt our business (we're ten yards away), but usually I deal with the arcane copyright laws that affect and drive our business. Most of the folks we reach are YouTube video watchers (we have 1,500,000 channel subscribers), and 75% of those good folks live outside of the United States. It can be complicated, but it's very enjoyable, and my job is relatively easy without the for-profit burden many have to carry.

Our mission is to enrich your life by championing music and discovery. I'm very proud of what I do.

There's always one in every crowd. A lawyer, that is. And that would be me. (I suspect there are others, but I respect their desire to keep it secret...)

I was a corporate finance lawyer in private practice for 32 years. Securities offerings, M&A transactions, board governance, etc. Six years ago, when my kids' tuition payments stopped, I decided to join up with a local non-profit arts organization I'd spent many years with, as a volunteer on their advisory council. I convinced my wife that we should move back to the city from the suburbs, take the pay cut, and re-live the joys of our youth.

As general counsel for my arts organization, which happens to own a music radio station, I focus mostly on content licensing (largely music, but other intellectual property as well). Right now I'm focused on making sure the $700 million KeyArena renovation next door doesn't unduly disrupt our business (we're ten yards away), but usually I deal with the arcane copyright laws that affect and drive our business. Most of the folks we reach are YouTube video watchers (we have 1,500,000 channel subscribers), and 75% of those good folks live outside of the United States. It can be complicated, but it's very enjoyable, and my job is relatively easy without the for-profit burden many have to carry.

Our mission is to enrich your life by championing music and discovery. I'm very proud of what I do.

Wow that’s a big plate. Good on you for using your talents and skills in a community-building way!

Well, as alluded to above, I can't get very specific at all, but I can say that I'm working overseas for the Department of Defense as a contractor intelligence analyst. Can't really talk about my current customer or role at all, but I can say that while it is very rigorous with long hours (12+ hours, seven days a week), it's extremely rewarding. We get to keep people here and back home safe from harm from some pretty awful people. Don, I work with you Human Intelligence collectors quite a bit...I cover the other primary INT.

I've been in the intel community since I joined the military back in '99 and have been doing it ever since. Started out in linguistics, and have transitioned to a more traditional analyst role. Language was good for a while, but it's not something I was passionate about.

One thing I'm constantly asked about is if the people over here like or hate us. Honestly, they couldn't give two stones worth of care. They're just trying to live their lives for the most part, take care of their families, and get through each day. Unfortunately, because they tend to be rather uneducated, they are very easily radicalized (especially the youth), or mislead. Evil people, with evil plans to do evil things can cause a lot of problems for an innocent, uneducated, and somewhat naive population with a corrupt government...and you can't get very much more uneducated and naive, nor a more corrupt gov't than out here.

Love reading about everyone's occupations...really gives some perspective about who each one of you are!

Thanks Josh for sharing! I was pretty sure that was what you were doing. You do some pretty important work and the analyst is really the unsung hero in the wars. I know my analysts saved my butt a few times over in Afghanistan with the info they were able to get to me. Doing Intel was one of the most rewarding jobs I ever had! And I couldn't agree more with what you said about the people there. There are some good people and there are some really bad guys too. But for the most part...they just want to live their life and make it through the day without something truly bad happening to them or their families.

There’s some pretty interesting stuff here. After Dave retires again for the 2nd time, he can do a video series called Spend a Week With a Cadre Member. Except Josh and KJ. Those videos would just be black with computer altered voices.

Ya’ll know I’m a nurse. I started in pediatrics on a great floor where we would take care of everything other than the cancer and ICU kids. I had 30 seconds of fame when I was picked to be part of a PBS TV series on nurses. They got a cool shot of my big hands pushing a little syringe of morphine into a tiny baby that had open heart surgery. I worked my way up trough charge nurse to assistant manager and then manager of a nursing floor. I got stuck in a downsizing of management and moved to the company I’m with now in the Quality department. Which means mostly computer work for chart reviews and collecting and analyzing performance data on many different projects. I’ve done things from a project to reduce mortality from sepsis, to being the project manager for a stroke program and now reducing time for recovering from surgery. It also means not being on call 24/7 and no weekends or holidays.

Really interesting reads about details of what members do verses just a rough idea. Wonder if KJ ever worked on or flew anything smaller then the Bomber like this? Lol

I like what you are doing very much. I spend quite a bit of time working in philanthropy myself. I admit, your work sounds pretty involved.

I have done many things in my life, some of them I have loved, some I didn't, but I learned from each and every one of them. At one point, when I first moved to Montana, I had to work 4 jobs just to get by. I worked construction during the day, gun shop in the evenings, waited tables on the weekend, and night shift at a hotel. I have also owned a home repair business, been an executive housekeeper, worked at an automotive body shop, been a firefighter, been a lieutenant EMT, and few other less notable things.

I am now an insurance claims adjuster. My current role is that of an office adjuster. We have people go out and inspect the home, take lots of pictures and send in their findings in a report. I then compare the findings to what their policy covers. We have at least 20 policies that the insured could possibly have. I have applied to be a field adjuster. We shall find out soon enough.

Not as cool as KJ's bomber, but I found some pics of a "side job" I did for my father-in-law. He had a tree that was leaning over his house he needed down. The mother-in-law wasn't impressed that the tree company working up the road was taking a week and charging $1200 to do the neighbors tree, so she asked me.
It split a little above the ground and went in 5 different directions. With some help from her other son in law and his kid for a ground crew, I had it down and cleared in 5 hours. AND, without hitting the other trees or the house.

Very interesting reads here! My handle name says it all. I am a pastor of a small country church in east TX. Preaching the gospel & trying to get people into heaven is what I do! Also, we have a small private Christian School over which I am the administrator. To me it's not a job, it's a calling.

As far as funding the shaving acquisition disorders, I usually save up over time for what I want, sell things, or gifts from family for the birthday or holidays.

Very interesting reads here! My handle name says it all. I am a pastor of a small country church in east TX. Preaching the gospel & trying to get people into heaven is what I do! Also, we have a small private Christian School over which I am the administrator. To me it's not a job, it's a calling.

As far as funding the shaving acquisition disorders, I usually save up over time for what I want, sell things, or gifts from family for the birthday or holidays.

Very nice to meet you brother. I agree pastorship is a calling and my father while not full time any longer was and is called.

Wow, surprising how many Men of the Church we have here! Interesting.

I am a Software Quality Assurance Engineer. I test hardware and software. Currently I work for a company that makes automation systems for hospitals. So, right now my job is to test pneumatic tube systems.

Back