The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Do You Do to support your Aquisition Disorders.

DocHoliday0831

Won't Share His Sugar Daddy
Legacy
Well as the title says we have a thread for pictures of ourselves and some of our handles give away our professions but most do not. It is always neat and interesting for me to network with others and if I can help them through some knowledge i may have then I am more than happy to do so. Sometimes I lean on others i have met and tap into knowledge that they have and learn from it.

I am a Parts Manager for a small town CNH agricultural equipment dealer. Case is our brand and we are direct competition with those green colored Deere tractors. We handle Combines, Sprayers, Tractors, Cub Cadet lawnmowers and we see farmers and agronomists daily. I have a fair amount of crop science knowledge and how to help the farmers maximize their crop yield potential.

That's mine in a nutshell and please join in. Some of us may or may not have classified job descriptions so those guys can give us one heck of a cover story if needed.

I work in the Banking industry for a fortune 500 company. And help manage the online side of the lending business. My technical title is User Acceptance Manager.

I also am a fulltime Utah High School Football and Basketball referee. This is my passion and I am trying to move up as quickly as I can. I hope to be working college football in a year or two.

Great topic TJ. I'd been contemplating starting this topic myself.

First of all, I am a retired member of the US Air Force. I was able to retire early and spent 15.5 years on active duty. I loved the military and wanted to stay in to finish my 20 years, but opted out for a variety of reasons. I love the military and working on base, so I looked for a follow-on job that would allow me to continue working in that atmosphere.

I am currently an Engineer and Government Contractor working for Northrop Grumman on Whiteman Air Force Base in Knob Noster, MO (about an hour east of Kansas City). My degree is in Electrical Engineering. I have been with NG for 4 years.

I am a Low Observables Engineer on the B-2 Stealth Bomber. Which means it's my job to ensure that the materials on the skin of the jets are free of defects that could degrade its stealth properties, to ensure that the aircraft remains survivable if it is tasked with flying over a threat area. My area of expertise is in identifying the defects, not fixing them. Once our shop identifies the defects and assigns a priority to them, they go over to the maintenance shop to actually repair the defects.

We use a variety of methods and tools to identify defects: visually, hand probes, and near field radar imaging. The majority of defects are found visually, and jets that are flying are checked weekly for defects. We look at the entire surface of the jet, top andbottom. We walk around the bottom of the jet with flashlights & ladders and climb around on top of the jet with flashlights (and crawl around on our hands and knees) to ensure we get a good view of every detail. Our other tools are used to identify material degradation that visual searches cannot detect. These inspections are done at regular intervals based off number of flying hours.

The bottom line is it is my job to ensure the jet keeps the pilots safe from enemy radar and missile attacks, so they can return home from their mission.

Being an engineer in the air force, I was usually managing programs, working from a desk and attending meetings. I rarely got to be "hands-on". Now I am about as hands on as I can be, and I love that. I think being able to walk around on top of the B-2 is one of the coolest things. And even though we see these jets fly nearly every day, it never gets old. Every time I hear one, I pause and look to the sky to watch it. It's an amazing platform, and unlike anything else. I am one of the lucky people that gets to say, I love my job and look forward to going to work every day.

Great idea TJ!

Currently I am an Ethics Investigator. I work for the Louisiana Board of Ethics (please keep Snickers to a minimum). I specifically investigate possible violations of our Code of Ethics. The people I investigate are considered Public Servants. This means that my investigations could include anyone who works for a governmental agency within the state of Louisiana. It could also mean I investigate elected or appointed officials. So basically, anyone from a school teacher to a janitor...from a clerk to a police officer...from a council member of a small town to the Governor of Louisiana.

The charges related to my investigations include:. Payments from prohibeted sources; Prohibited acts; prohibited contracts, unlawful gifts, abuse of office, nepotism, and retaliation from whistle blowing. These are the big ones...but there are many more.

My job entails writting subpoenas and serving them. I also interview people to collect information and get statements. I collect evidence and right reports. And if one of my cases goes to trial...I assist one of our attorneys with their prosecution.

It's a really complicated job and I love it. I have been doing this a little over a year now. Prior to this job I was a Human Trafficking and Crimes Against Children Intelligence Analyst for the Louisiana State Police for six years. Before that I was a Human Intelligence Collector for the military.

I had a feeling that you and KJ would have the jobs that were probably the most interesting, I had kinda figured KJ's might have needed a good cover and Josh's as well if he even is able to post here. My dad was a full time Christian Minister until he and my mother split 30 years ago or so and until his retirement he was primarily working in some way or another with the Child Protection Services division of NC dept. of Health and Human Services.

I had a feeling that you and KJ would have the jobs that were probably the most interesting, I had kinda figured KJ's might have needed a good cover and Josh's as well if he even is able to post here. My dad was a full time Christian Minister until he and my mother split 30 years ago or so and until his retirement he was primarily working in some way or another with the Child Protection Services division of NC dept. of Health and Human Services.

I won't argue that my job isn't interesting..because it most certainly is..and I love it. I was meant to do this type of stuff. But what my job isn't is practical. It's a very niche market and if I am ever out this job...it might be some time before I find another on like it or something that fits my skill set. I envy my brother a lot of times. He barely passed high school. He started out doing oil changes right out of school and then worked his way into doing brakes and other things. Eventually started working for a dealership and they sent him to various mechanics classes. He then started working on Diesel engines. Somewhere along the line he got a job at our local beverage distributor and now he runs their fleet. I know he worked hard to get where he is at...but if he ever needed a job...he most certainly can get one. Everyone needs a mechanic.

People like my brother and you TJ have great careers because they are practical. If the Zombie Apocalypse happens...you will be in much greater need than I ever will!

Wow, we’re off to a solid start! TJ is a parts jockey and gets to help the folks that feed our nation, KJ gets to strike a pose in Stealth Bombers draped in the Flag with Danger Zone blasting in the background, and Don gets to interrogate people then slap them in the face with a stack of papers!

I’m going to lower the bar now...

My current job (job being temporary, I've not been in a paid position for duties in my occupation yet) is as the evening lead custodian for my local church. I basically just help with hospitality, making sure things keep nicely, and making sure events on campus are properly set up.

The occupational direction that I’m working toward is in the vein of pastoral ministry. To that end, I am volunteering in various capacities such as teaching, writing, church chaplaincy, etc.

Wow, we’re off to a solid start! TJ is a parts jockey and gets to help the folks that feed our nation, KJ gets to strike a pose in Stealth Bombers draped in the Flag with Danger Zone blasting in the background, and Don gets to interrogate people then slap them in the face with a stack of papers!

My current job (job being temporary, I've not been in a paid position for duties in my occupation yet) is as the evening lead custodian for my local church. I basically just help with hospitality, making sure things keep nicely, and making sure events on campus are properly set up.

The occupational direction that I’m working toward is in the vein of pastoral ministry. To that end, I am volunteering in various capacities such as teaching, writing, church chaplaincy, etc.

I drive a desk all day LOL! At least you are on your feet and interacting with people in a spiritual capacity. I am sure you are going to make a great minister!

Oh yes...another bar raiser...Chad gets to play with other people’s money! How did I miss that?!

Taking care of the spiritual needs of people is VERY important!

Admirable sir. Ministry is a calling not a profession. There are very few actual days off and most men and women of faith are ministers to some capacity (or at least should be). I am very much not a church leading minister and i look up to those that are called into that as people of great strength and devotion. Proud to know you brother.

Admirable sir. Ministry is a calling not a profession. There are very few actual days off and most men and women of faith are ministers to some capacity (or at least should be). I am very much not a church leading minister and i look up to those that are called into that as people of great strength and devotion. Proud to know you brother.

Thanks TJ!

Let me drop the bar further for everyone
1f602.png
I moved south from PA to marry my bride in 1986 when unless you were Billy Bob Joe's Uncles cousin.......................well you get the idea. They didn't like Northerners. So since no one wanted to hire me, I eventually started my own Janitorial Business so that I could work for all the people that didn't want to hire me. It is a small business and has gotten smaller over the years as people have cut back in the economy. I kept it small on purpose (that means I'm the worker) to free myself up to be more active with our Kingdom Hall (What we call our church) over the years in various capacities. Like Don I look at my siblings (In particular my older Brother) that have marketable job skills and at times can start to feel less then, but In truth I wouldn't change/trade my life and it's course with anyone. Enjoying readin about everyone and especially Chris' Spin on peoples jobs
1f606.png

Great stuff Dave...and running a business is not an easy job! Kudos to you sir!

What I have done is probably more interesting than what I'm currently doing.
I grew up with my dad owning his own construction business and working for him, so I naturally went into the trades. I was an ironworker for a long time. Walking on those skinny little beams way up in the air. I built highway bridges, hospitals, office buildings, and malls all around the Charlotte area. Even did some work at the speedway.

Then I moved into millwright and industrial mechanics work when I moved back to PA. I worked for a company that did contracts at many major industries. Glass plants, refineries, particalboard plants, paper mills, you name it. A lot of welding, fabricating, machinery moving, piping, machinery set-up, and maintenance.

I also worked for a while as a climber for a small tree service. I would climb up into the tree and rope off pieces as I cut them down to keep them from hitting houses and such.

Also did work for a seismic drilling crew. Started as a "slasher" hiking up and down the PA hills cutting trails for the rigs to go from point to point, then moved up to drill hand and got to play with the dynamite, and eventually moved up to driller and ran the rig.
One of the most exciting things that happened on that job was a "farm" I drilled at that had a herd of buffalo. I was 15 feet from a very large male that was using his favorite scratching tree next to one of my drill spots. Then I got closer to the pond and was stared down by a line of water buffalo that weren't very impressed that I was there.
The other was waiting for the truck to come pick up our dynamite load one morning. We had just got out and then got called back because of lightning. Rain we worked in but lightning was a no go. I was standing in a field in pouring down rain talking to my partner with about 75 pounds of dynamite parked about 200 feet from us. Lightning struck in a nice horseshoe shape hitting about 40 feet right behind him and arcing over to hit about 25 feet behind me. There was a little bit of a pucker factor with that incident.

Then my last job, the company made compressors and expanders for the oil and gas industry. My job was to take the blueprints and and empty base, figure out where the tubing lines had to run from the control panel out to the unit, then design how I was going to run them and build and install them before the unit was even on the base.
This was one of the easy ones.

but they could get a little more complex at times....

Now I am looking for work and trying to support myself with what little bit I can put out of my shop bladesmithing and forging. It's not going that well right now though. Nice for extra money, but hard to live on.

Now I am looking for work and trying to support myself with what little bit I can put out of my shop bladesmithing and forging. It's not going that well right now though. Nice for extra money, but hard to live on.

I’m really hoping this changes for you. You have talent in this skills field and an obvious passion for it!

You aren’t lying when you say you’ve done some interesting jobs Shawn.

We we have a local tractor supply, sounds a little like the CNH T.J. Works at, I love that place. We have a local orchard supply hardware that is pretty cool too but Lowe’s (owners of OsH) have decided to shut them all down, ours will be gone in the next 30 days. I love the smaller hardware stores because the workers know who you are and most know their stuff. This osh replaced a family hardware store that was in town since before I was born. They kept the old workers which was the only reason they made any headway in town, those workers were like family to us.

I support my spending habits in a few ways. My primary occupation is as a Wealth manager (financial advisor, investment manager...etc). I have done this for the last 13 years, more recently I broke away from my partner and started my own firm. I should have done that years ago, I am much happier, my clients are better served and I make more money (because I am not covering the expenses for the other guy too). My job involves financial planning, investment selection and portfolio management and acting as advisor to large company 401k plans. I am unique in my area because I am a 100% fee based registered investment advisor, as far as I know I am the only 100% fiduciary advisor for 50 miles. I am licensed as an investment advisor and as a life/health insurance general agent but the bulk of my work is in the financial advice and wealth management area. I won’t do anything related to health insurance and I generally only do life insurance work for my clients and their close family.

With a healthy appetite for all things shaving related I have also resorted to buying lots on eBay, taking what I want and reselling the rest. Occasionally I will find something very unique but well undervalued, selling that item(s) for a small profit to me helps pay for the other purchase. I did this more a year or two ago, not so much now. Along the same vein, I have used pretty speculative investments to turn a small amount of cash into slightly larger amounts of cash, allowing me to spend without putting huge dents in the budget. This isn’t something I recommend because it doesn’t always go as planned.

Back