The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Awesome intro. Tom and I both approve of the danger zone.

Great intro and 1st entry post Don!

Glad to have you here in the journals!

Shaver Danger said:
I have lost 52 pounds, my cholesterol levels are all either normal or just outside the normal levels. My insulin levels and HBA1c have drastically improved. And my Fatty Liver is almost cured.

Most excellent!
I had a similar journey a few years back. It required a complete diet and life style change for me. I've back slide a little this winter, but I'm planning to get back on track this weekend with my exercise. I need to drop at least 15 pounds. If you, or anyone else, are interested I wrote about my weight loss here:https://www.facebook.com/notes/michael-craig-lee/how-i-lost-46-pounds-in-126-days/10150328500504247/

Great musings Don. You’re on a unique path, I pray it takes you to a fantastic destination! I’m also of the opinion that spiritual health matters just as much as the physical, mental, and emotional. Keep searching!

Congrats on breaking the Slim too! They are fine shavers indeed!
Thanks! Yes, spirituality is important. I do want to preface that I don't believe that spirituality and religion are synonymous. It can be, but I think it is so much more than just the church you go to.

Great shave and pic. I am glad that the Slim is a winner.

Thanks for the book recommendation.
Mee too! That Slim is a great shaver.

Great write up Don. Really enjoying the reflections on health and well being!
I know it's been just a short time, but but my journey to be healthier has been a big part of my life.

It's good to see you taking charge of your health, Don. I'll add that another thing we Americans have abandoned in the past few decades, in the culinary arena that is, is the practice of "moderation". We "super-size" everything now. As an example of how much more we eat, my wife gave an example. She was watching one of those house hunting/renovation type shows, and the couple bought a house built in the 50's. They couldn't get their plates to fit in the cabinets because the plates nowadays are so much bigger than they were back then!
I have to agree! I personally don't see it necessarily as a moderation problem though...I guess it can be, but I see it more of an "eating the wrong things" issue. Since the introduction of processed foods into the Standard American Diet, the consumers are eating things that won't fill them up. So they are constantly eating and very large amounts. Fats and Proteins are very satiating...and if you eat mostly those with some veggies included...it is really tough to overeat. But yes...Americans eat WAY too much. Once I got into my way of eating...our (the wife and me) grocery bill was drastically reduced. Sure we by more expensive food (meats, fish, eggs, fresh produce, etc), but we go to the grocery store less frequently.

Great stuff Don. And as to the relaxing piece. Not sure if either of you wear a FitBit but I love the relax feature on mine. It measures your breathing and does a quick 10 min exercise. I do it at least twice a day.
I don't wear a FitBit, but I have been considering it. FitBit is supposed to come out with a model that does unintrusive continuous glucose monitoring this year. I am waiting for that model to come out. But I will definitely check out the relax feature. Thanks for the tip!

Awesome intro. Tom and I both approve of the danger zone.
Dave...tell Tom thanks for the approval!

Great reads Don

I appreciate it Dave!

Welcome Don!

As Don already knows, I am also on the Keto "way of eating".... I don't like to call it a diet, because the things I'm allowed, nay, expected to eat you can hardly consider limiting or "diet food".

I started in March, and although I'm coming off a small stall, I have lost about 20 pounds, and is the first time I've been under 200 pounds in about 15 years. I love this way of eating. I have more energy, and I don't ever get hungry before mealtime. I never need to snack. It's just great. I feel my body changing in good ways, and I get compliments from people saying they notice I'm looking better. That feels really good.
Don, meditation is a big part of my "spirituality". Although I don't do it as much as I'd like. It is really easy to do at home. You can find some guided mediations online to use, or like you said, just sit and focus on your breathing. Anything helps, an it's really amazing the power meditation has to de-stress your mind and calm your whole body. I introduced my girlfriend to it, as her job is much more stressful than mine, and she does it more often than I do. She loves it!
I've had my eye on that book. And I'd like to read it eventually. However, I'm currently reading (just started, actually), "Keto Clarity, Your definitive guide to the benefits of a low-carb, high fat diet" by Jimmy Moore. It was recommended to me by one of the Keto Coaches on a FB group. And since I'm a notoriously slow reader, It'll probably take me a while to get through it.

KJ...I am so happy that you are enjoying your new way of life! I am super happy that I am at least a little part of that. I think you are doing wonderfully also. I know it can be frustrating, but keep on keeping on and the weight will come off again. I myself am in a stall. I have had my slight up and down fluctuations, but haven't lost anything in about a month. But I am still feeling great, and I have so much energy now. I am likely going to adjust some things shortly and do some "personal" experiments. But from what I understand...everyone goes on a stall when on keto.

I haven't read Keto Clarity yet, but it's on the list. When you are finished with your book hit me up and if I still have mine, I will send it to you. It's really no big deal!

Great intro and 1st entry post Don!

Glad to have you here in the journals!
Most excellent!
I had a similar journey a few years back. It required a complete diet and life style change for me. I've back slide a little this winter, but I'm planning to get back on track this weekend with my exercise. I need to drop at least 15 pounds. If you, or anyone else, are interested I wrote about my weight loss here:https://www.facebook.com/notes/michael-craig-lee/how-i-lost-46-pounds-in-126-days/10150328500504247/

Craig! Thank you for sharing your story! I did read it and you have done something amazing! While I disagree with some of your nutrition logic, who am I to argue with results. You did it and your healthier...that is all that matters. While I was never diagnosed with Type II Diabetes, I wasn't far from it. I did have Metabolic Syndrome. The big component of that diagnoses was Insulin Resistance. To be honest, the last part of 2017 for me was pretty bleak for me. I was just unhealthy and I knew if I didn't do something, I probably wouldn't be on this Earth to see 60 years old...maybe even 50. I was convinced that my life was in jeopardy. That is why, I love your section that says..."Do It! Do It! Do It!" Whatever the course of action...you have to go full on and just do it! It's proven you can accomplish many different things on many different diets. I may disagree with aspects of a diet someone is on...but if it works...it works and I will never say anything against that. Thanks Craig for sharing...you have done a marvelous job!

Great looking shave, and an awesome read, Don! Congrats to your neice on graduating.

I am super impressed with the progress you are making and the goals you have set. I always enjoy reading someone's success, and revel in the triumph of the human spirit. Keep up the good work!

I am super happy that I am at least a little part of that. I think you are doing wonderfully also.
A big part really. If it wasn't for your Keto thread at the other place, I may not have started.

But from what I understand...everyone goes on a stall when on keto.
I've only listened to a few episodes, while I was mowing the lawn, but the "Two Keto Dudes" mentioned that stalls were normal at the beginning as your body adjusts. They said if it goes past 6 weeks, then you proabably need to adjust something. Mine was right at about 5 weeks, and so far it appears I'm back on track.

I haven't read Keto Clarity yet, but it's on the list. When you are finished with your book hit me up and if I still have mine, I will send it to you.
When I finish it, I'll let you know, and if you want to read it we can swap.

Just read your journal and, like probably most people my age am over-medicated. I’m am looking at Lipitor being the first off the island. My cholesterol was just over and the doc (at the time) instantly started the whole cholesterol and metformin gig. I figure if I can keep myself to one Coke a day instead of 5 things will get better. I’ve already lost 10 pounds. I’ll keep at it.

Great reads Don. I have to confess, this is the second time I came to your journal. The first time, I looked at it and realized I didn't have enough time to read that much. Sounds like you are doing great on the Keto. Keep it up. We are trying to eat healthier, just not to that extreme.

Don great reads and thank you for your service! I am a bit slow in reading the journals, but I’m catching up.

For a few years I was hitting the gym regularly. Several minor injuries kept setting me back and then I stopped going. Anyway, I’m trying to get motivated again and get back into it. Since a couple of you guys are doing keto, can you point me towards a good starting point? Thanks.

Don great reads and thank you for your service! I am a bit slow in reading the journals, but I’m catching up.

For a few years I was hitting the gym regularly. Several minor injuries kept setting me back and then I stopped going. Anyway, I’m trying to get motivated again and get back into it. Since a couple of you guys are doing keto, can you point me towards a good starting point? Thanks.
Tim...Here are some resources that I used and sometimes still use:

This one has a really good overview of the Ketogenic Diet. https://www.ruled.me/guide-keto-diet/

Another one that has a lot of the same info but a couple of vids also. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

This one has some slightly more advanced answers. https://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/

A forum that I read a good bit. Lot's of good stuff here. https://www.ketogenicforums.com/

And if you are into Podcasts...these are really great. Start at number one and go from there for the time being. Some really good practical stuff as well as some scientific info. http://2ketodudes.com/archives.aspx

Yeah, I know...it's Joe Rogan...but his guest...Dom D'Agostino has done a lot of scientific research on the Keto Diet. He seriously knows his stuff. Ronda Patrick is also Great. But seriously listen to the Gary Taubes interview.

If you want really quick videos that are easy to understand...I love Dr. Ken Berry. His YouTube stuff is excellent! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIma2WOQs1Mz2AuOt6wRSUw

Anyway...I hope this helps and feel free to ask questions...either PM me or ask in the thread.

Just read your journal and, like probably most people my age am over-medicated. I’m am looking at Lipitor being the first off the island. My cholesterol was just over and the doc (at the time) instantly started the whole cholesterol and metformin gig. I figure if I can keep myself to one Coke a day instead of 5 things will get better. I’ve already lost 10 pounds. I’ll keep at it.
Yeah, Lipitor is something that you should really look to getting off of. A lot of bad side effects and a lot of negative studies that are coming out now about the stuff. I will try to post links to studies about the statin class of drugs. Just really bad stuff with no real positives. Total Cholesterol really mean nothing. Metformin is a different story. It has been proven to be a pretty safe drug with positive benefits even for healthy people. Cutting sugar in any form is always a good thing. And has a direct result in lowering Triglycerides and increasing HDL.

Great reads Don. I have to confess, this is the second time I came to your journal. The first time, I looked at it and realized I didn't have enough time to read that much. Sounds like you are doing great on the Keto. Keep it up. We are trying to eat healthier, just not to that extreme.
Really sorry about the length of the reads. I promise they will shorten in the days to come.

Don, congratulations on the weight loss and improved numbers. Things are looking up for you, sir!
Thank you so much! You sir had a little part in this! Thank you for the confidence!

I need to say something real quick gents...

I am not a doctor, nor am I in a position to make medical diagnosis. In fact, I had to take Biology 101 a few different times in college. I need to mention this because I don't want anyone to think what I do is in fact what they should do. We are all different and have to find out what works for us health wise. I am only expressing my experiences and what has worked for me. I am also sharing the expertise and scientific/medical studies that I have found. I am happy to share my experiences...but that is all they are...my experiences. Please consult your medical professional before doing anything as drastic as what I have done...I consulted mine and see her every three months to make sure everything I am doing is safe.

Nothing else to see here...move along.

Razor: 1962 Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade: Polsilver SI (2nd Shave)
Soap/cream: Wholly Kaw - King of Oud
Brush: Sorrentino Brush with Tuxedo Knot
Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel
After the Aftershave: Wholly Kaw - King of Oud
Other Gear: Captain's Choice "Tempest" Shaving Bowl

Getting ready to walk out the door to go to Mother's Day Brunch with the wife and Mother-in-Law and father-in-law. The wife is getting ready, so that means that we will likely be late...fashionably of course. Not a lot of time so I will hit the highlights.

Is there anything bad I can say about this soap? I mean...it might be the best all around soap I have in my den. Sure there are others that might do better in some of the areas...post shave feel, residual slickness, lather-ability. But who am I kidding. If there are others that are better...I am splitting a seriously thin hair. The scent is really where it is at for me. Such an exotic deep scent that isn't so dark I would call it Gothic...maybe just Emo. But seriously...just exotic and sensual...I will wear this year round no matter how hot the summer is.

I lathered the soap with a Sorrentino hand crafted brush that was created, I believe, early in the young master's brush making career. I love my badger brushes, but this guy has a very special place in my den. I use him at least once a week in a regular rotation and like him better than most my other brushes. It has a perfect size, perfect feel, and just perfect in general.

I jumped the setting on the Slim up a notch to six to figure out where I like this razor at. The shave at number six was nice and efficient. Only a two pass for me today...as I have to shave aga
in either later tonight or early in the morning.

The Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel is something new for me. It's only my second use and I will say that I like much better than the cucumber...and I like the cucumber a lot! Not sure if it is better than the Super Hazel...but I am willing to compare. It just feels better in my opinion. Not really sure if I can quantify or qualify it...it just feels better. Maybe better soothing and moisturizing qualities. Either way, it feels good and it smells good. I'm going to dust off the Mystic Water Coconut Sandalwood this week and I know that the Thayers will go great with it. This reminds me that Chad @cvargo, Mr. Ugly Duckling...or is it Mr. Young Duckling, I forget the exact nomenclature of his TSC handle...anyway...Chad recommended a Coconut Oud...by?...maybe a Lisa's Naturals? Really can't remember, but I am sure a quick research will uncover the mystery...but, yeah, I need me some of that stuff too. After a splash of the Thayers and a quick cleanup and drying of the shaving operating area, I liberally poured some King Of Oud aftershave into my hand and baptized myself in the nectar of the shaving gods. Life is never better than when you sprinkle some "smell good" on yourself.

The Danger Zone:

The shaving portion of this PSA (Public Shaving Announcement) was typed before brunch...but I forgot to push "Post." So I am just continuing the post...post brunch. I did a very bad thing...I ate food that I wasn't supposed to. This is the first time since the very beginning of January that I went off my way of eating. I won't lie to you...it was some good stuff! I had a Blackened Salmon fillet over creamy grits with a poached egg over the top, fresh strawberries, a biscuit with sausage gravy, and strawberry shortcake (pan-seared pound cake in butter and sugar with fresh strawberries and homemade whipped cream). Yup, I will not feel good later on...but man was it good.

In light of my indulgence this morning, I won't get all preachy with scientific and medical studies on how everything that I just ate is bad for you...well, me. For penance...I likely will forgo dinner this evening (likely because I will be asleep from carb overload).

I have to go to Shreveport tomorrow for work to interrogate...err...umm...interview a couple of people. Shreveport is a four hour ride one way from where I am...this means I likely won't get home until late. I'm not looking forward to it...but work is work.

Well I have bored you all enough for one day. I likely won't be on much tomorrow but I look forward to reading all of you journal entries.

Good shave.

Dont worry, your eating secret is safe with us!

I almost bought Thayers yesterday (rose, cucumber, or lavender where the local options) but with the price and particular scents, I just hesitated. The store was out of Dickenson’s, so I just went for the generic witch hazel. Stuff smells like...I dunno what...but it seems to work and doesn’t last too long scent wise, thank goodness!

Great read, shave, and picture Don!

I just got my 1st tub of Wholly Kaw King of Oud. I'm looking forward to using it soon! Thayers is great stuff. I've only used the alcohol free unscented. That way I don't worry about it clashing with any scents.

It is hard at times to stick to a diet, but we do what we can! I do my best to keep to mine, so much to the point now that it has pretty much become habit. I don't have to look up the carb count on every thing because I already know it.

Hope you have a safe trip! Will you be driving there and back in one day? I would almost have to require an over night for that.

Back