The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Volunteers needed

Can't wait to hear what the concept is......

img.jpg
I think I can send you some in a “card”, the slices will be thin enough not to raise suspicion so it will just appear as if grandpa CBL is sending you socks in the Christmas card again

This looks interesting. If you still need more opinions count me in, otherwise i look forward to seeing what happens!

Maybe not the place for this but this got me thinking. How important is post shave feel from a soap? To me not that important... I rely on my aftershave products for that.

Maybe not the place for this but this got me thinking. How important is post shave feel from a soap? To me not that important... I rely on my aftershave products for that.
True, but do you think that at least subconsciously you add post shave feel into your overall impressions of a soap?

I agree but still prefer a soap that has goodies in it for post shave feel too..................if done correctly.

For me, very important.

What makes for great post shave is relative of course, so as a way of universally rating soaps, it's tough because one guys great post is another greasy mess.

True, but do you think that at least subconsciously you add post shave feel into your overall impressions of a soap?

When reviewing a soap I try to pay more attention to it, but honestly using CBL as an example I prefer the tonsorial line over the other which has the added butters. Most important to me is slickness, protection, and latherability. Then I look at scent.

That is the ultimate impetus for my little test here. I do believe there is a particular function that soap is expected to fulfil and a limit to what can and should be expected from a soap, anything beyond that scope should be the responsibility of a pre-shave treatment or a post-shave product. Rather than discuss that concept HERE I do think it is a discussion that can and should be held in the broader forum. There will be different preferences and opinions as well as some science involved, my goal in doing some testing is to establish some VERY basic common ground in the discussion.

That is the ultimate impetus for my little test here. I do believe there is a particular function that soap is expected to fulfil and a limit to what can and should be expected from a soap, anything beyond that scope should be the responsibility of a pre-shave treatment or a post-shave product. Rather than discuss that concept HERE I do think it is a discussion that can and should be held in the broader forum. There will be different preferences and opinions as well as some science involved, my goal in doing some testing is to establish some VERY basic common ground in the discussion.

Alright I will write up a thread later... unless someone beats me to it.

I am flattered, but with all due respect I am the worst candidate for PSF opinions as I use a host of cleaners/acids before & after shaving that mostly negate any objective POV. Sorry, but offer appreciated. ;)

I am flattered, but with all due respect I am the worst candidate for PSF opinions as I use a host of cleaners/acids before & after shaving that mostly negate any objective POV. Sorry, but offer appreciated. ;)
That’s kind of why I was thinking you might appreciate this opportunity, these samples are pretty basic (no frills) with only minor differences between them. I’ll pm you the specific details so you have an opportunity to jump in if the concept interests you or pass if not.

@ CBLindsay will you be sending us any kind of list of specifics you want us to comment on in the experiment or just our general impressions also will this be a "blind" test (ok go ahead with the smartie comments to the blind comment everyone )as in the soaps are numbered 1,2,3 just curious ?

Back