The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Vintage Razor Question

jgreenepa

TSC's "Velveteen Shaver"
I'm in the process of dialing in a 1912 brass 30's era Gem razor, but was interested in learning more about the Eveready Streamline razor. Does anyone have any pix or could you provide me with a way of differentiating it from other Gem Razors, so I will be able to recognize one. This is in preparation for my trip to the Shave Collectibles Meeting on Oct. 19, 2019 in West Chester, Ohio. Thanks in advance for any guidance and help you can provide.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

I don't have any pics handy, but could take some later. (Or snag some off google). But they are really not much alike. Easily distinguishable. The handle on a Streamline is a good giveaway, and the head is quite beefy and has unique cutouts underneath.

Is it similar to a 1912 or ‘24? If you get a chance to take some shots that would be much appreciated!

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

Is it similar to a 1912 or ‘24? If you get a chance to take some shots that would be much appreciated!
It’s similar in operation to a 1912. I thought that’s what you were asking it to be compared to, as you mentioned the 1912 in your OP. I’ll try to remember pics in the morning.

EverReady Streamline set:
34FB0ED7-2F07-42DB-840D-FE06F4EBCBDB.jpeg

Gold Ever-Ready 1912 & Silver GEM 1912, both with chain handle. And 2 E-R Streamlines.

Streamlines were made in Britain, but some 1912s were too. Streamlines were made a short period of time, while 1912s were made for 30+ years, so there’s lots of variation in head geometry and handle style in 1912s.

Streamlines are heavier and better made.

F9982D46-CCF4-43CB-9720-43CC2E767DB4.jpeg48567D4D-55BF-4950-9AD1-B97E59329CB5.jpeg58A5EE18-5000-4518-ABE3-697F4B7DDCE8.jpegBADCB666-EB01-4DB3-962A-3E1F4986A897.jpeg

EverReady Streamline set:
View attachment 8907

Gold Ever-Ready 1912 & Silver GEM 1912, both with chain handle. And 2 E-R Streamlines.

Streamlines were made in Britain, but some 1912s were too. Streamlines were made a short period of time, while 1912s were made for 30+ years, so there’s lots of variation in head geometry and handle style in 1912s.

Streamlines are heavier and better made.

View attachment 8910View attachment 8911View attachment 8912View attachment 8913
Thanks, Spider! Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. It turned out that I was able to get one, but as you said, it was not cheap! I'm looking forward to shaving with it when it arrives.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

PS: Is the shave similar to my Brass 1912?

Better. The Streamline is one of the best GEM style SEs out there.
Thanks, Spider! I believe I've fallen down the rabbit hole. I've heard that that was the case, but wanted to confirm. I bought the dang thing at 2:45 in the morning from a friend in another forum who wanted my near mint Senator. He thinks he got the better deal, it was the Senator plus $10 for shipping. YMMV, but I think we both got a deal. He was tired of the Ever Ready and I was tired of the Senator. Thanks!

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

Thanks, Spider! I believe I've fallen down the rabbit hole. I've heard that that was the case, but wanted to confirm. I bought the dang thing at 2:45 in the morning from a friend in another forum who wanted my near mint Senator. He thinks he got the better deal, it was the Senator plus $10 for shipping. YMMV, but I think we both got a deal. He was tired of the Ever Ready and I was tired of the Senator. Thanks!

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff
A near mint Senator??!!.....😢

A near mint Senator??!!.....😢
Yup! It’s currently on the way to Seattle! I’m not a Gillette Guy. All the Gillettes I own were owned by family. They’ve been useful trading tools. When I say near mint, I might be stretching things a bit! My Uncle Mick shaved with it for years. No case or anything else.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

Back