The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Turkey Stories!!!

Gotta ask @mvargo I have no idea... I didn't like it

It was jarred from England. Had a whole bunch of berries... Don't know what you consider real or not.
Traditionally "Mincemeat" was used as a method to preserve game and meats that were just about to go bad. Later mincemeat became more of a culinary dish especially in the British Isles but elsewhere as well as the reach of England spread around the world. Mincemeat would use the likes of beef, lamb, sheep, goat, etc. Basically any meat that needed preserving. Basically they would cover portions of meat in a fat (suet mostly I believe) to help preserve it. When the meat needed to be used, it would be chopped up into fine pieces and added with fruits and nuts and cooked down. This would be the filling. Then the filling could be placed in jars where when cooled, the fat would create an air tight barrier for longer preserving. The filling would be used for pies and tarts as needed.

I personally love a traditional mincemeat pie. But I don't care for most of the stuff today as people have too little fruit and no meat. Now...maybe I will have a TSC mincemeat pie tradition for the holidays as well as my fruit cake tradition!

Here is a good concise article on mincemeat pies.

And a couple a bit more historical.

Back