The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Turkey Stories!!!

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
My Sister-In-Law raises her own chickens, ducks, and turkeys. It was decided that one of her turkeys got a bit over big (this one was more of a pet for a while than it was bred for food...aptly named "Mr. T") and it was time to send the lamb...or in this case...the turkey to the slaughter. You ask why am I talking about this turkey specifically? Well, it so happens that before Mr. T's timely demise, he weighed 62 pounds. He was so big that my SIL didn't have a pot big enough to boil it, so she had to pluck the feathers one by one. dressed out, Mr. T weighed 50 pounds. It so happens that the bird was too big for the oven and even if it was roasted it would take somewhere in the neighborhood of ten hours to roast. So...my SIL decided to dismantle the beast of a bird and only cook the breast for Thanksgiving today. The breast is still 20 pounds! Photographic proof below!

So...anyone else have any Turkey or Turkey Day stories?

1669291849853.png1669291882893.png

Just the Boobs!

1669291929543.png

Our local farm lost their turkeys this year to avian flu. So had to get a store bought this year. I hope it turns out. It's on the smoker now

Our local farm lost their turkeys this year to avian flu. So had to get a store bought this year. I hope it turns out. It's on the smoker now
Sucks about the Turkeys. Avian flu is bad this year.

Dayumn, thats a big un. I’m smoking the breast of a 16lb’er with apple wood and gonna try confit for the rest of the bird sometime this weekend… never done anything confit before and i’m nervous/excited.

Pumpkin, sweet potato, mince meat, banana creme, and Bourbon pecan.
Was that real mince meat pie...or just that filling that people call mince meat. I haven't had a real mince meat pie since I was a kid.

Was that real mince meat pie...or just that filling that people call mince meat. I haven't had a real mince meat pie since I was a kid.
It was jarred from England. Had a whole bunch of berries... Don't know what you consider real or not.

I ended up smoking our turkey (17 pound) and serving with all the families most loved fixin’s. I injected the turkey very liberally with a pre made roasted garlic concoction made for BEEF (I love beef) and allowed to marinate in a vacuum sealed bag for 2 days before smoking with a competition blend pellet. I cooked the Mac n cheese and bread stuffing in the smoker too…it was all very good.
4A0EC33B-59B3-40B3-B8DC-DD2FBE39370C.jpeg

34CAE0A3-F932-4013-B9BB-DACFD32CA8C9.jpeg
6AB51C2C-15AA-4938-891A-651854ADFC8C.jpegFB409B73-1490-47A7-AAD1-A3A64ADD94DB.jpeg3AFAE96A-D9A9-4A1C-ADD4-E1FCBF486B4A.jpeg

I was thinking we should gather a few videos showing how some of our cadre members carve their turkey, whole ham, standing rib roast, brisket etc. There is always room to learn more about how it’s done.

I use an electric knife for the turkey and have used it for the prime rib (deep fried prime rib is killer good). I probably could use it on the brisket but never have. I recently made I “tri-sket” (a tri tip cooked like a brisket) and learned a new better way to cut it …always learning new tricks

Back