The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC's July 2023 Sumo Grand Tourney Contest

Excellent first day of the basho! There were a few interesting upsets and some solid indicators of strong contenders!

@Spider

Fujiseun dropped. So you can provide a different pick for that section. Then I will close contest. Just let me know.

1688999792590.png

New spreadsheet, and I have to build it all manually. So check to see if this jives with what you think you should have, picks and points. I tried to double check everything, but I could have missed something. The Points for the Y-O row are not included in total points.

1689000188026.png

It's not everyday you see Teru get thrown around like that.

Chad must have rice wine on the brain. because he keeps misspelling Chiyosakae.

And I'm sad that @BarberDave didn't join us, because I was waiting to see if he was going to select Yuma.

Excited to see what Shishi, the sekitori from Ukraine, will do.

Chad must have rice wine on the brain. because he keeps misspelling Chiyosakae.

And I'm sad that @BarberDave didn't join us, because I was waiting to see if he was going to select Yuma.

Excited to see what Shishi, the sekitori from Ukraine, will do.
@Fenster was too busy to make it too. We'll have to make sure he completes his entries Next basho.

Lot of drama around Hoshoryu day 1 match.
I didn't realize he may have touched first, I thought the crowd was murmuring because of that weird start to the match.
I haven't seen anything with good enough resolution to be 100% sure, but it does look likely in Jason's replay.

1689010115118.png

After @Luecke3262 asked if I was following the Sumo (which I'm not) I figured I would check to see what I'm missing. I'll be honest.....I have no idea what I'm looking at.

After @Luecke3262 asked if I was following the Sumo (which I'm not) I figured I would check to see what I'm missing. I'll be honest.....I have no idea what I'm looking at.
This is the most basic breakdown I've found.

Here's another more indepth explanation

Last edited:
Great....now I have homework.
It's not so bad. Get the basics, then just start watching. It took me a couple tournaments to understand enough to really get into it, but I love it now.

Back