The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Smoke Lounge

View attachment 69810
Ok, so I have a Briar Bird Albatross billiard pipe on the way and I have never smoked a pipe. Can someone recommend a tobacco to start out on?
That's a tough one, it's kind of like a new wet shaver asking, "What soap should I start with?". There are a lot of right answers to that question, lol. Like shave soap, there is a lot of good pipe tobacco out there. Like Gear said, Stokkebye has good quality stuff, Cornell & Diehl has good stuff and huge selection. If you would like, a will put a sampler box together Of different stuff and send it your way.

Last edited:
Can someone recommend a tobacco to start out on?
Well I think we need some of your preferences; Sweet or spicy, vanilla or chocolate, tea or coffee, steak or chicken? Have you ever tried any tobaccos, what did you like or not?

As others have said lots of good choices, but there is a huge gap between aromatic cavendish and latakia heavy english.

That's a tough one, it's kind of like a new wet shaver asking, "What soap should I start with?". There are a lot of right answers to that question, lol. Like shave soap, there is a lot of good pipe tobacco out there. Like Gear said, Stokkebye has good quality stuff, Cornell & Diehl has good stuff and huge selection. If you would like, a will put a sampler box together Of different stuff and send it your way.
That would be awesome! Thank you so much!

Well I think we need some of your preferences; Sweet or spicy, vanilla or chocolate, tea or coffee, steak or chicken? Have you ever tried any tobaccos, what did you like or not?

As others have said lots of good choices, but there is a huge gap between aromatic cavendish and latakia heavy english.
Spicy, vanilla, coffee and steak.

I have tried snuff as a teen and young adult. Then moved onto cigarettes. I did try a cigar earlier this year. They called it something Cuban, but it was from Nicaragua. Not sure if that is any help.

Not sure if that is any help.
That is helpful. So if you are familiar with cigarettes, then perhaps a Virginia blend is in order. Add in "spicy" and "steak" makes me think of something with Perique. So a VaPer (Virginia Perique) blend might be a good start. Now this won't get the vanilla aspect, but Cavendish has a sweet/vanilla, aromatic note so might be enjoyable for you.

That is helpful. So if you are familiar with cigarettes, then perhaps a Virginia blend is in order. Add in "spicy" and "steak" makes me think of something with Perique. So a VaPer (Virginia Perique) blend might be a good start. Now this won't get the vanilla aspect, but Cavendish has a sweet/vanilla, aromatic note so might be enjoyable for you.
Cool, thanks Tony!

Back