The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

TSC Smoke Lounge

Ya, I did too!
Well this is another great Conneticut
My-Father-Connecticut-Robusto-510x680.jpg

Or even just the tried and true Oliva!

oliva-conn-rob-product-image-510x680.jpg

I've bought boxes of both.

Lets give it another chance. 1st outing was not so good.

Olmec Maduro Toro Box pressed ( Cigar Review)

05.23.2023.JPEG
Well, I had one more in the Humi, and it has been sitting there a few weeks. After the 1st one ( a turd ) I figured I would give it another chance and review it here.

As most of you know I LOVE Maduro cigars, and my staples are Padron, and Chupacabra Hellcats, however this was recommended by local Tobacconist, so I bought a couple. I dont know if it was me, the time I smoked it, or the alignment of the stars, but it was terrible on the 1st go round. at $15.00 a stick it was quite a disappointment, but lets try again.

Olmec is made by AJ Fernandex, and with most ratings in the low to mid 90's I was surprised on my intial thoughts, however that has changed.... A little. It should be noted that my comparison is directly to the Hellcat as it is the closest in overall type. Distributed by Foundation Cigars

Construction: 6x52 Toro, Boxed Pressed. Wrapper is MExican San Andreas Negro. Binder is Nicaraguan Filler is Estelli and Jalapa, which was hopeful to be a nice spicy, moist peppery cigar.

Appearance: Nice veining, dark and oily, and the unlit aroma was a bit sweet, with leather and charred wood, with a bit of a Cardamon ( think Cola )

1st Third: Medium Full, Very linear, dry, and with an extremely oily and sticky feeling on the back of the throat which dries real fast and almost has a scratchy feeling on the back of the throat. Almost Gritty. Notes in the mouth are wood, very little in the way of spiciness, and chocolate, with a HUGE pepper note, but not in a pleasurable way. Retrohale is all Pepper and actually hurts a bit and leaves one with a feeling of Heartburn actually. The Chupacbra is much more enjoyable and flavorful.

2nd Third: Much deeper stronger, and more enjoyable, but still somewhat linear. The ash held well and began to flake off a bit, and the draw is a bit more flowing. The continued notes of charred wood, slight leather, and pepper. Not much else. Even a bit of Pencil shavings on retro hale and again very dry in the throat, not oily with lingering flavor, with some walnut as one would expect in a Maduro. Honestly it tastes like that pungent cigar odor of the cigar your grandpa had been chewing on for a month, Some notes of Rye or Pumpernickel bread in holding the smoke in the mouth, better but not great.

Final Third: Becomes much more earthy and was the most enjoyable of the entire stick, Still linear with mostly wood, pepper, and ash being the top notes, and the retrohale, as expected, was very strong and almost painful. A oily film began in the back of the throat adding some moisture and flavor, but too late IMHO to save this one overall, A bit more Boot leather was tasted, but became very bitter on exhale and retrohale. After taste on this third began to evolve the baking spices, but again too late.

Overall: 82 scored for me. For the price the Chupacabra a much better cigar, and although I would not turn one down, it is a definte no buy in the future. Not quite the Turd the 1st one was, still not a winner. It will leave your voice a bit scratchy or what I call a "Brenda Vicara" voice. Even @AvocadoQueen noticed my voice change both during and after the smoke. A bunch of hydration is needed if your plan to smoke this, and the heart burn feeling in the throat, as well as stinging eyes. is not enjoyable.

I don't want heart burn feeling when smoking. Pass! I have that chupacabra you sent me home with still my humidor. So over a year now.

Back