The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trying to decide on Ralph Lauren Polo versions

Should I buy Ralph Lauren Polo (Green - the Original) or Polo Cologne Intense

• Polo Green Original (Can’t go wrong with Vintage Baby!)

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Polo Cologne Intense (Dude - remember how much you love grapefruit - new is always better!)

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
You youngsters and your blue frags……..😂
Dude...I was there when Mr. Lauren introduced Polo Green. I was there when the collective whaff of trendy fragrance hovered over the continental United States and lingered there for a decade! Seriously though...I like Green a good bit. But my wife prefers Blue. On a side note...my weekly bath soap is STirling Green right now which is a Polo Green clone.

Stetson, Polo (the OG) and Pierre Cardin...what great men smell like with pimples. English Leather, British Stirling and Aspen...what their MOMS wanted them to smell like.
I actually like Aspen but English Leather and British Stirling just don't work for me. Maybe its the newer formulations that are failing, I don't have any vintage (1980's) versions to try.

Stetson, Polo (the OG) and Pierre Cardin...what great men smell like with pimples. English Leather, British Stirling and Aspen...what their MOMS wanted them to smell like.
I actually like Aspen but English Leather and British Stirling just don't work for me. Maybe its the newer formulations that are failing, I don't have any vintage (1980's) versions to try.

My father had 3 aftershaves/colognes.……..(1) Aqua Velva - his daily driver, (2) Old Spice - worn for “dress up” occasions such as church or other suit and tie events, and (3) English Leather - meant my brother and I were staying overnight at a friend’s house because mom and dad had “plans”

The first one will always have a special place in my heart - because my dad would put it on my face when we shaved together, the second - I like just because he wore it - not usually in my bailiwick…..and I have to admit - #3 was never my thing.

I do own British Stiriling just because I like to collect the “pharmacy” colognes - I have to check out Stetson and Pierre Cardin - I’m positive I must have smelled either somewhere in my life - just can’t remember when.

I’m afraid to buy English Leather, for what they have done to it, but the OG was pure gold.

Can’t help with Polo, never tried it.

A fragrance friend was talking about how back in the day, the frag you wore identified what clique you were part of. Polo was for a different group, that I didn’t belong to.
Stuff like English Leather, sort of was no man’s land, but I always like it best, cherry cedary leather is what I remember.

Back