The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trying to decide on Ralph Lauren Polo versions

Should I buy Ralph Lauren Polo (Green - the Original) or Polo Cologne Intense

• Polo Green Original (Can’t go wrong with Vintage Baby!)

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Polo Cologne Intense (Dude - remember how much you love grapefruit - new is always better!)

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Scuttlesoap

TSC Yoda
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
So - one of the first colognes I owned (due to a high school crush) - was Polo Green - back in 1987…….I remember loving it - but down the road I remember that the pine notes were not my thing later on in life.

Now, I have to say it has been decades since I have actually smelled it - but I have to say that pine is not my thing - but……I do love nostalgia and I love classic colognes. Now Ralph Lauren has come out relatively recently - with an updated version - Polo Cologne Intense and the notes seem to appeal to me.

Now…..I can hear people telling me to take my own advice in previous posts - just go down to the local Sephora or Macy’s and try them both out. But no, I cannot. I am on a streak - I have a frag collection - that is relatively large - and everything I own is a blind buy (ok, I’ve bought a few samples - but in general all blind buys).

So I need your help to decide - the new version strips out a lot of the old school part (bummer) - but it has a predominant Grapefruit and Mint (what what??? Roof is on fire).

Here is the note breakdown for both:

Original Polo Green:

1649970447183.png

And here is the Polo Intense:

1649970570655.png

So to help everyone out - from the old version - I love the bergamot and the juniper berries and I hate pine (bah humbug for Christmas)…….On the new stuff love the mint and grapefruit and not a fan of Ambroxan - whoever thought that synthetic whale barf was good should be drawn and quartered (I must be the only one that doesn’t love (but I appreciate) Dior Sauvage).

Nothing beats the original Polo (a.k.a. Polo Green). Get that and a small plastic bat ...to beat the hordes of women away.

BUT. If you really don't like the pine, the original will end up making its way to the BST (where maybe I can pick it up for a few bucks plus shipping). I find the pine pretty up front and all that other stuff really back ground.

The notes of Intense sound amazing honestly…but if there’s a theme that’s played out constantly with frag houses, it’s that revamps and flankers long separated from the originals tend to disappoint.

Reviews seem overall negative for lovers of OG Green.

I’d say just get Green.

Nothing beats the original Polo (a.k.a. Polo Green). Get that and a small plastic bat ...to beat the hordes of women away.

BUT. If you really don't like the pine, the original will end up making its way to the BST (where maybe I can pick it up for a few bucks plus shipping). I find the pine pretty up front and all that other stuff really back ground.
See there’s a bright side to no matter what I pick!

Vroom Vroom!
img_6913.jpg

Well, it looks like this vote won’t even be close. That same guy for Scents of South Jersey did a review of the new Polo Cologne Intense - he panned it - he was hilarious at the end - he said - hey - leave you comments - let me know if you like it and if you do - who your therapist is.😂😂

Well, it looks like this vote won’t even be close. That same guy for Scents of South Jersey did a review of the new Polo Cologne Intense - he panned it - he was hilarious at the end - he said - hey - leave you comments - let me know if you like it and if you do - who your therapist is.😂😂
He probably thinks the smell of Coney Island at dusk should be a frag.

Weird. I never liked polo green. Also never got pine from it. I like pine.

Back