The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Trying to decide on Ralph Lauren Polo versions

Should I buy Ralph Lauren Polo (Green - the Original) or Polo Cologne Intense

• Polo Green Original (Can’t go wrong with Vintage Baby!)

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Polo Cologne Intense (Dude - remember how much you love grapefruit - new is always better!)

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
Pine, like lemon, is a really tough note in the 21st century. Done right, and they are amongst my favorite notes, but done wrong, and it’s just comes off as the cheapest bottom shelf drug store dreck, or like it’s straight off the cleaning products aisle of the supermarket.

Being that I only own three colognes....and they're all three polo (green, blue and sport) I feel you can't go wrong with the original.

I've never tried polo black. What did that smell like?

I've never tried polo black. What did that smell like?
I have the Polo Double Black which is basically the “intense” version of Black. I‘d say it is a very nice office frag - almost a “blue frag” which is weird because it’s predominant notes are coffee and mango - and it is considered a spicy woody frag.

First Canadian Shave does a great homage for it for a shave soap and AS

If it matters, I totally have/had the same associations with this as Spider. But man that was 40 years ago.
Now I've gotten to where I like a fragrance for itself and not the group of people it's popular with, if that makes any sense.
I personally think that's part of the golden age of fragrance we're in now, it's about what you like more than what social standing you want to project.

Back