The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Touch Down, Every Morning...Not Just, Now and Then ... THE MOVE AROUND THREAD!

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
Go You Chicken Fat Go!

https://youtu.be/YZCHJd0JjpU

I wasn't around when John Fitzgerald Kennedy sent a record of this song to every school. But some how, this song survived into the mid to late 70s when I was in grade school. Yup, for Physical Education...or whatever it was at the time...this record was pulled out and played, all the while rambunctious kiddies were bending and thrusting and jostling and moving all around. Giggle...Laughter...Screams of Delight and Play filled the gymnasium or outside or where ever the school administration saw fit to play this tune.

This thread is dedicated to just getting up off your butt and moving around.

I don't have the most active of jobs and when I get home I tend to eat dinner and jump in the recliner to watch some TV. I know this isn't doing me any favors. So I wanted to create this thread to journal my activity for the day...or every other day...or the week. Whatever activity I do. My ultimate goal is to help with other medical issues and aid in cardiovascular, respiratory, and metabolic health.

Anyway...I plan to log my daily activities...journalism the different types of exercise and movements. I have four goals that I want to accomplish:

[list type=decimal][*]Perform Cardio Exercises - Walking, Running, Bike Riding, etc[*]Perform Strength Training Exercises - Lifting Weights, Medicine Ball Workouts, Kettle Bell Workouts, etc[*]Increase Regular Daily Movement - Walk more around the office, utilize stairs, park farther away from doors from parking lots, etc[*]Increase Primal Movements - This can be anything from gardening, lawn work, splitting wood, loading bales of hay, mimicking animal movements, picking up and setting down heavy sacks, hiking over rough terrain, etc.[/list type=decimal]

Of course I won't be able to accomplish these everyday...but I want to be able to show how often I do something.

So this is my plan...but I want to encourage anyone else who wants to play along to do so. It doesn't have to be this. If you want to log that you walked for 15 minutes in a day...good for you! If you want to log that you did an intense Cross Fit workout...more power to you. Took the stairs and nothing else...log away. My point is...I just want people to get up and move!

But I want to be clear...THIS IS A JUDGEMENT FREE ZONE! Absolutely no judgement or negative criticism! If someone asks for help or suggestions...the Cadre is Wise! If you have some positive reinforcement to offer...I encourage it.

I plan on starting my logging activity on Monday. I wanted to get this thread up so that others can think about it. No need to start a list. If you want to participate...just start posting your daily activities. If you are finding this thread months or maybe years afterward and you want to start...jump on in! No exercise routine is too small or too great! Just jump in and do something!

GO YOU CHICKEN FAT GO!!!

Oh, I think we all know what you mean by Primal Movements

I lift weights 3 days a week. I'm almost up to squatting my own body weight.

My work has an on-site gym with trainers on site, that are free to employees.

So Monday thru Thursday I attend a ten min ab class every day just to get away from my computer, and then each day Monday thru Friday I go outside and walk 1.5 miles around the the building, if the weather prevents it I do it on the treadmill. Thursdays I attend a cycling class. And each day before going home I try to head down to go through a weight training exercise that the trainer gave me that lasts 30 min I only make it about 2-3 times a week if I am lucky. And then now since it is basketball season I officiate basketball on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays I average roughly 10-12 miles each day I officiate just doing the games.

My problem is fast food. Yup as healthy as I try to be I am sucker for a drive thru. French Fries are my weakness.

So Monday thru Thursday I attend a ten min ab class every day just to get away from my computer, and then each day Monday thru Friday I go outside and walk 1.5 miles around the the building, if the weather prevents it I do it on the treadmill. Thursdays I attend a cycling class. And each day before going home I try to head down to go through a weight training exercise that the trainer gave me that lasts 30 min I only make it about 2-3 times a week if I am lucky. And then now since it is basketball season I officiate basketball on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays I average roughly 10-12 miles each day I officiate just doing the games.

My problem is fast food. Yup as healthy as I try to be I am sucker for a drive thru. French Fries are my weakness.
Fast food while running a work route is my downfall to. Fries and Coca Cola. I try to just order a sandwich and drink water though. If I could just stick to it.

I lift weights 3 days a week. I'm almost up to squatting my own body weight.

Looks like you have a good plan! And...push it son...I need you squatting twice your body weight!
1f60b.png

Dang Chad! I need to work for your company! With options like that...you never have to pay for a membership again! Looks like you have a good system too! I have a YMCA across the street (literally) from my place of work. I have talked it over with the wife and I will likely get a membership there. They have a lot of options. Ugh! I know a lot of people are addicted to fast food french fries. But I would really try to get away from them if you can. Deep fried in vegetable oil is definitely not great! Then again...you do so much other stuff that is super good for you...who can really blame you!

Fast food while running a work route is my downfall to. Fries and Coca Cola. I try to just order a sandwich and drink water though. If I could just stick to it.

You already know this...and it isn't nearly as much fun. But try packing your own lunch/snacks...it is way better for you (potentially). And the money you save from drive through could likely pay for another Paladin!
1f60e.png

You are right Don about the french fries. It is honestly a convenience factor. I finish officiating usually a double header and its 9PM at night. I have a 20-40 min drive home and well i'm hungry. So a quick stop for fries and sometimes a burger happens. I seriously need to quit. Because honestly aside from that I eat very healthy as I am still doing the weight watchers program (which work also pays for). Like any addiction I need to start somewhere and perhaps it is this thread you made that makes me realize these little stops are probably what is preventing me from losing the last 25 pounds.

You are right Don about the french fries. It is honestly a convenience factor. I finish officiating usually a double header and its 9PM at night. I have a 20-40 min drive home and well i'm hungry. So a quick stop for fries and sometimes a burger happens. I seriously need to quit. Because honestly aside from that I eat very healthy as I am still doing the weight watchers program (which work also pays for). Like any addiction I need to start somewhere and perhaps it is this thread you made that makes me realize these little stops are probably what is preventing me from losing the last 25 pounds.

I definitely didn't mean to come off judgey which I realized I did. You may be right...though.

Monday I am starting a whole new reboot of diet and exercise. I won't be posting a lot about diet here as I really just want to focus more on movement.

I appreciate you guys reading and commenting!

Not judgey at all. Healthy is extremely important.

Go You Chicken Fat Go!
I wasn't around when John Fitzgerald Kennedy sent a record of this song to every school. But some how, this song survived into the mid to late 70s when I was in grade school. Yup, for Physical Education...or whatever it was at the time...this record was pulled out and played, all the while rambunctious kiddies were bending and thrusting and jostling and moving all around. Giggle...Laughter...Screams of Delight and Play filled the gymnasium or outside or where ever the school administration saw fit to play this tune.

This thread is dedicated to just getting up off your butt and moving around.

So this is my plan...but I want to encourage anyone else who wants to play along to do so. It doesn't have to be this. If you want to log that you walked for 15 minutes in a day...good for you! If you want to log that you did an intense Cross Fit workout...more power to you. Took the stairs and nothing else...log away. My point is...I just want people to get up and move!

But I want to be clear...THIS IS A JUDGEMENT FREE ZONE! Absolutely no judgement or negative criticism! If someone asks for help or suggestions...the Cadre is Wise! If you have some positive reinforcement to offer...I encourage it.

I was a kid when JFK called for youth exercise. My schools (we moved every couple of years) went all in on it. Even after his death, schools kept it up, crediting him all the while.

Five weeks ago I had back surgery. I'm learning to walk again, using a cane for steps and long distances. I'm no longer using it at home except to go up or down stairs. This is forcing my legs to provide all balance, and it's getting easier to do over time. My next goal is to take a long walk without the cane down the hallway to the bathroom at work. That, and go up two flights of stairs at work, or 40 steps. One flight went fine, so I don't think it will be a problem.

One step at a time, Cadre, one step at a time.
1f44d.png

Sorry guys! Had a lot going on this past week and was sick a bit so things kind of came off the rails! But will be entering stuff in this thread soon!

I was a kid when JFK called for youth exercise. My schools (we moved every couple of years) went all in on it. Even after his death, schools kept it up, crediting him all the while.

Five weeks ago I had back surgery. I'm learning to walk again, using a cane for steps and long distances. I'm no longer using it at home except to go up or down stairs. This is forcing my legs to provide all balance, and it's getting easier to do over time. My next goal is to take a long walk without the cane down the hallway to the bathroom at work. That, and go up two flights of stairs at work, or 40 steps. One flight went fine, so I don't think it will be a problem.

One step at a time, Cadre, one step at a time.
1f44d.png

Bruce...you have a long road ahead, but we are all behind you brother! I look forward to hearing that SOON...you took that long walk down the hall and up two flights of stairs at work! I will make sure I say another prayer for you!

I will make sure I say another prayer for you!

Thank you, Don. I am trying to strike a balance between pushing the envelope and keeping safe. This past weekend I discovered I could safely go down steps without a cane, so I set aside the cane for steps, too. However, by Sunday I was struggling to go up steps without the cane. It wasn't particularly safe. So I've set aside the notion of going caneless on steps till my legs are stronger. It almost feels like a setback, but it's really not. I tested a new skill and found myself unable to safely do it, so I've backed off. Meanwhile, I'm working my legs in other ways: walking, steps, etc. I deliberately take walks to increase my step count. It will take time, but shall one day pay off.

Thank you, Don. I am trying to strike a balance between pushing the envelope and keeping safe. This past weekend I discovered I could safely go down steps without a cane, so I set aside the cane for steps, too. However, by Sunday I was struggling to go up steps without the cane. It wasn't particularly safe. So I've set aside the notion of going caneless on steps till my legs are stronger. It almost feels like a setback, but it's really not. I tested a new skill and found myself unable to safely do it, so I've backed off. Meanwhile, I'm working my legs in other ways: walking, steps, etc. I deliberately take walks to increase my step count. It will take time, but shall one day pay off.

Bruce...I think you have a great plan set up. I am definitely not in your position...but as far as recovery or exercise is concerned...I have always subscribed to the philosophy, "More is better...but not too much." I think we always want to get up an go...get it over with..."are we there yet" syndrome...but you cannot injure or re injure yourself...that makes everything doubly hard and long. But I think I am preaching to the choir here...after all...you are a professional. Keep at it Bruce! You are getting there!

Okay...I have slacked on this thread so I need to get it going. My time lately has been limited. I am doing physical therapy for my back...and that is taking up a good bit of my TSC time. But it's all good. Anyway...exercise this week has been relatively modest. I won't include my PT session, but I will say that I am doing a good bit of stretching and core strength exercises. For the price I pay in co-payments for PT...I think I could pay a personal trainer to whip me into shape...or pay for that Krav Maga class I want to get into AND a personal trainer to whip me into shape. Anyway...this is what I have done this week:

Monday 1/14/19 -

Down then up 16 flights of stairs (12 steps per flight) x2
45 minute walk at lunch

Tuesday 1/15/19 -

Down then up 16 flight of stairs x3
45 minute walk at lunch

Wednesday 1/16/19 -

Down then up 16 flight of stairs x3
45 minute walk at lunch

The exercise is modest right now...but I plan to include more soon coming...so...what have you been doing?

After putting together a piece of furniture for the wife that showed up in a box yesterday, I lifted a glass with 12 ounces of fluid in it. Not sure how many times but not too many as I was thirsty and glugged.

After putting together a piece of furniture for the wife that showed up in a box yesterday, I lifted a glass with 12 ounces of fluid in it. Not sure how many times but not too many as I was thirsty and glugged.

Yes Dave, I get it...you are doing bottle calisthenics!

1/17/19

Walked at lunch for about 45 minutes.

Also went down the up 16 flights of stairs. Only once today.

Back