The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Williams Mug Soap 3017 Challenge..... A.K.A. (________) Willy!

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
OK Cadre, it's time to start this tradition here! You may have been a part of this experience on other Forums, or this may be completely new to you, but it's something that I have enjoyed over the years and it's time to bring this experience to The Cadre! (I honestly can’t believe I haven’t done this here before.)

We will join together to 3017 a puck of Williams Mug Soap. What's a 3017? Basically, just commit yourself to using a puck of Williams Mug Soap for every shave until it's gone. For the average user this will probably be around 20-35 shaves, but can last longer depending on your use. This challenge is typically done with a modern puck and the idea is to really use it and try to get the best lather out of it. Some folks use Williams for a shave or two and get mediocre results and give up, but by 3017ing the puck, you try different things and really try to dial in your technique. Or, maybe you've got a puck of vintage, A.K.A. the really good stuff, and you want to actually get it out and use it. Then here's your chance.

Now, to make this all a bit more fun and interesting, some of you may decide to take this challenge to the next level, by adding some scent to your Williams puck. We do this by soaking our pucks of Williams in aftershave, to scent them the way we want. Why? Well, the old pucks of Williams had advertisements on them saying to use them with Aqua Velva. Someone did an experiment to see if they could get the scent of AV into their puck, A.K.A. "Blue Willy" and had great success. That evolved into personalizing the puck with the scent of your own and here we are.

The last time I hosted this, on another forum, we had over 50 participants so there were quite a few different concoctions as you can imagine. Here are some of the favorites and what they were nicknamed, just to get your imaginations going:

Amped Willy …..... Nivea Energy
Blue Willy ...……..... Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Brutal Willy …….... Brut
Chilly Willy ...…..... Osage Rub
Club Willy ...…....... Pinaud Clubman
Cowboy Willy ....... Stetson
Green Willy ...…..... Aqua Velva Original Sport
Heartbeat Willy ... Adidas Pulse
Island Willy …........ Pinaud VIBR (Or any Bay Rum of your choice)
Lord Willy ...…........ Lord & Master
O'Willy ......….......... Avon Oland
Plain Willy ...…....... Pure Williams, no scent added.
Skinny Willy …....... Skin Bracer
Spicy Willy ...…...... Old Spice
Sporty Willy …...... Aqua Velva Ice Sport
Surfing Willy ........ Barbasol Pacific Rush
Tiger Willy ............ Lucky Tiger
Veggie Willy …..... Lilac Vegetal
Water Willy .......... Florida Water
Willy Noir ...…...…. Encre Noir

Does this sound like fun to you?

Sign up Below and start gathering your supplies and preparing your pucks. Let us know what you’ll be using in your recipe, and describe your process (pictures always welcome) along the way. I’ll show my process below. Use an existing formula or create your own. One thing to keep in mind is that one reason that Aqua Velva works so well, is due to its high glycerin content. So if possible choose an aftershave with glycerin as an ingredient (or add a couple drops to your recipe).

James Baker Williams was born on February 2, 1818 so in honor of his 203rd Birthday, we will start our shaves on Feb 2nd (Groundhog Day).

I’m doing something a little different this year. I was gifted a puck of Vintage Williams Menthol from @Scuttlesoap . As is typical of these vintage pucks, there is no scent remaining. But I will be soaking mine in a bit of vintage Aqua Velva Menthol, and probably some Ice Dragon drops to try to get it back to what it probably was originally.

Copy this list to sign up. (List what you will be adding and what you are calling it.

1. Spider – Aqua Velva Menthol – Cool Willy (Vintage Puck)

Last time I did this I think I was one of the longest lasting ones. Took forever to use.
In my current facial folicical condition there is no way I could use up a puck.

Good luck to all those who jump in. I'll be following.

Copy this list to sign up. (List what you will be adding and what you are calling it.

2. uacowboy - Either a Spicy Willy(old spice and just finished making) or a Silly Willy(made with a mix of a bunch of different AS)

Here is my process, documented from the last time I did this a few years ago.

Gather supplies
56258bb73e9fcf8e54e016e8b289d8bf.jpg

Grate the puck of Williams
6ea5631c8113e7666ef34c09e6a3f9a0.jpg
e3437c6e02f82c6aa3604fbcce7355b0.jpg

Loosely pack into container
df2183f448f6965729bd2da74c381b9f.jpg

Top off with aftershave
0e091dc0d907bba304cc51c31f8b2d5c.jpg

Then we wait. As you can see, mine took half of a 7oz bottle. You don't have to use that much. Since I'm using a vintage bottle of AS, I will likely only be using an ounce or two.

After a couple of days of sitting, the soap will have absorbed quite a bit of liquid and will become soft. At that point you can give it a good stir.
9e58e5a7e00b44fd76be779016d6d3ff.jpg

Then as the alcohol evaporates you can press it down a bit to try to get it back into a solid puck again. This may take a week. That's why we have so much prep time before we start using them. Once it reduces to your desired consistency, put the lid back on it to prevent more moisture from leaving.

2. uacowboy - Either a Spicy Willy(old spice and just finished making) or a Silly Willy(made with a mix of a bunch of different AS)
3. Soap Thing - English Willy (Dana English Leather Aftershave)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last time I did this I think I was one of the longest lasting ones. Took forever to use.
Yep, you sure were. I got 72 shaves off my puck last time. Yours went an unheard of time past that, but I don't recall exactly how long. Wasn't it something stupid like 6 months?

I know last time I let my puck dry until it was a relatively hard puck again. I think this time I'll leave it softer, so I can load more soap and use it up quicker. I'll probably also put it in a wider container, like an empty CBL tub, rather than the 3" tub I used above.

In my current facial folicical condition
When are you going to shave that thing off anyway?

I am currently using vintage Williams and will not be adding anything, but I will be watching this thread. I won a puck of "Blue Willy" in a pif once, it didn't make me want to make another, just good traditional shave soap. I think Clubman Pinaud would be an excellent choice though.

Yep, you sure were. I got 72 shaves off my puck last time. Yours went an unheard of time past that, but I don't recall exactly how long. Wasn't it something stupid like 6 months?

Yup a long 6 months. It was a very hard and dry vintage puck.
When are you going to shave that thing off anyway?
Didn't you have a beard last winter?

I am currently using vintage Williams and will not be adding anything, but I will be watching this thread. I won a puck of "Blue Willy" in a pif once, it didn't make me want to make another, just good traditional shave soap. I think Clubman Pinaud would be an excellent choice though.
I started using the current puck on Dec. 16.

4. dkeester - No AS, just water to bloom - Plain Vintage Willy

PSA:
I have a few extra pucks (34 of them to be exact) of Modern Williams laying around the den. I am willing to donate up to 10 of them to the WIlly cause. PM me if you want to join in and don't yet have a puck to use. The first 10 people will be mailed a puck. This offer is good until Saturday, January 16 because the mail can be slow and you will need time to prep your willy before February 2.

I have a few extra pucks (34 of them to be exact) of Modern Williams laying around the den. I am willing to donate up to 10 of them to the WIlly cause.
Nice Offer Doug! Williams can often be found in your local grocery store or drug store, but over the last several years some stores have stopped carrying it and it is getting surprisingly scarce in the wild. Many people do have to resort to ordering online, and for small orders or lone pucks it can be cost prohibitive. Great PIF!!

Nice Offer Doug! Williams can often be found in your local grocery store or drug store, but over the last several years some stores have stopped carrying it and it is getting surprisingly scarce in the wild. Many people do have to resort to ordering online, and for small orders or lone pucks it can be cost prohibitive. Great PIF!!
Thank you!

Here in Colorado I never see it in stores. I do see 3 packs of it on Amazon. I have also found multi-packs of it on eBay, which is where I acquired my current stash of them. However, you have to be willing to purchase several pucks.

I've been waiting for you to post this. I found my vintage Avon wood bowl to use for this one. As such, I'll be doing Avon Wild Country and Williams Mug. I'll call it Wild Willy.

4. dkeester - No AS, just water to bloom - Plain Vintage Willy
5. OpusX - Avon Wild Country - Wild Willy

I was looking forward to this and was going to order some Williams, but I don’t think I’ll be done the current LNHC 3017 by Feb. 😞

Back