The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Video & Photo Editing Thread

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
First of all...there might be a better place for this thread...so if the powers that be find it necessary...please move this to a different area.

TSC is quickly becoming a place for members to show off their SOTD photos and their videos of shaves and products. The production value on these are becoming incredibly fine! I thought it was high time that we have a place where members can come in and ask, comment, read, and learn about the various aspects of creating and editing photos and videos for TSC or other interests!

Why did I create this thread? Well, I was using a free to relatively free app on my phone to produce videos. It worked well, as long as you did not want to do anything complicated. As some of you gents have commented...some of my videos were becoming "dubbed" unintentionally. It was like watching a Saturday afternoon Kung-Fu movie. And pictures...well some of them were turning out nice...but I really want to up my game. So...what better place than TSC where the masters reside to learn how to turn my average media into Rock Star Videos and professional photographs!

So...if you have a question...or maybe a tip...or just want to learn something about the process...this is place for our discussions!

I really didn't want to...but I decided to upgrade what I was using and spend a little cash (yup...it took some funds away from that Paladin and Timeless that I really wanted ). Dave, our master of video and photography, suggested CyberLink's Power Director. I checked them out and the other week they were running a sale on downloadable software! Even more so...there was a bundle package with Power Director and Photo Director that was reduced even more. So I pulled the trigger and now I have decent editing software for Video and Photos!

So here is where I stand. At any rate...I know I will have some questions from time to time and I hope the fine Gents and Ladies of TSC can help me...and others...out!

I’ve just been using my iPhone and iMovie. Very minimal features, but it’s working for the time being.

So how are you guys actually recording video. I'm assuming most of us are using their phones in some form or fashion. If so, by which mechanism are you adhearing your phone to the mirror in your bathroom. I'm using a cheap phone holder with suction cup made to put on the dash of a car or windshield. But it has a angle that I don't like. I'm half tempted to super glue a suction cup to the back of my phone. So what are you guys using?

I’m also using my iPhone and iMovie.

I have no counter space in the bathroom and a very small mirror, so the joke of my videos is actually truth...my phone perches questionably on top of a hand towel held in a towel ring on the wall, lol.

I’m also using my iPhone and iMovie.

I have no counter space in the bathroom and a very small mirror, so the joke of my videos is actually truth...my phone perches questionably on top of a hand towel held in a towel ring on the wall, lol.

Improvise, adapt, and overcome! I would have never known!

I showed it in one of my videos, but I have a small tripod. I place it on a shelf in front of my mirror.

Gotcha..thanks KJ! Guess I'm going to keep to the car mount on my mirror for the time being...unless others have suggestions.

suction cup phone holder
Android Google Pixel 2 XL phone
photos I use Google editor
videos I use FilmoraGo

I too am just using an iPhone and iMovie. I was using another program, which I had also used to make my intro and outro. But, I have always had difficulty getting the flippin' movie off my phone. I plug it into the computer and 20% of the time it shows nothing in the folder of the phone, 75% of the time I can see the movie and it says the phone isn't responding when it's trying to copy it to the desk top when I drag it there, and 5% of the time it copies over.

So, though more frustration I was able to get my starting and ending onto my phone to use with iMovie. Now I just record, click on the three clips and render and upload. Simple because, like Chad I just go raw and unedited.

For the physical set-up, I have VERY limited space. I started with a simple suction cup mount with an arm like you would use in your car. This was simple to use, but I felt like the overhead lights were creating too much shadow. I would also like to be able to place the camera a little farther away. Josh linked me to some inexpensive lights that would have done the trick, but also I would have had to store somewhere and haul out to do videos. This would mean I wouldn't likely do any more videos. I'll post a pic of what I got from Amazon below. I was even cheaper, but the bummer is the arms aren't strong enough to hold the camera straight out to the side. I ended up clipping it to the top of the mirror and it seemed to work ok.

suction cup phone holder
Android Google Pixel 2 XL phone
photos I use Google editor
videos I use FilmoraGo

So I have the Google Pixel also...though mine is not the XL...I'll remedy that on the next go around. I used the FilmoraGo a few times. But I was having sync issues with video and sound...hence the switch to pc software. What kind of suction cup holder do you have? Just looking to see how far off my filming equipment is.

Whoa! Dave! That is a crazy contraption! I like it. I might have to look into one of those!

Just one found on eBay. I'll try and grab a shot tomorrow. Also after I paid the $1.99 to remove the filmorago logo everything started working much better for me

Just one found on eBay. I'll try and grab a shot tomorrow. Also after I paid the $1.99 to remove the filmorago logo everything started working much better for me

Did that already...did not help. Either way...I was getting tired of using a stylus on my phone trying to cut just the exact second only to screw it up. Besides...now I have this fancy software like Dave!

It will probably be a while before I tackle videos. I'm frustrated with my iphone, I can't upload pics to post, I have to email them to myself, download to my laptop, then upload them when I've got my laptop. I have my phone with me always, & my laptop maybe every other day. On my phone here's what I'm doing: I'm typing a reply to a thread on TSC, when I'm ready to insert a pic I click the camera icon, then I select Browse & I can choose Take Photo, Photo Library, or Browse. No matter which of those I select I am taken back to my symbaloo home screen. Any suggestions would be appreciated because I would post more pics if I could do it from my phone.

It will probably be a while before I tackle videos. I'm frustrated with my iphone, I can't upload pics to post, I have to email them to myself, download to my laptop, then upload them when I've got my laptop. I have my phone with me always, & my laptop maybe every other day. On my phone here's what I'm doing: I'm typing a reply to a thread on TSC, when I'm ready to insert a pic I click the camera icon, then I select Browse & I can choose Take Photo, Photo Library, or Browse. No matter which of those I select I am taken back to my symbaloo home screen. Any suggestions would be appreciated because I would post more pics if I could do it from my phone.

I'm not an iPhone user so some of this I can't help you with. As far as the emailing and downloading goes...have you thought about some kind of cloud storage? Basically, you can have your photos automatically backup to your cloud...I'm using Google Photos and Google Drive. That way there is no need to email. When you are ready to download to your computer, it's easy to grab. Don't know if this helps or not. Other iPhone users will hopefully be by soon.

I use iPhone 8plus and click the camera icon. then browse and it allows me to look at my camera roll and choose the photo i want to post. i havent run into that situation

when I'm ready to insert a pic I click the camera icon, then I select Browse & I can choose Take Photo, Photo Library, or Browse. No matter which of those I select I am taken back to my symbaloo home screen.
No idea. I do the same thing. I hit Photo Library and it accesses the pics from my camera. Never had any issues with this either with my old iPhone 5 or my new iPhone X.

Id only suggest cleaning up your phone, getting rid of anything you don’t use and restarting your phone. Maybe google your issue any see if there’s a fix.

I'm using Google Photos & Google Drive, I'm a big fan of Google. It's also all backed up in iCloud. I can't get my phone to let me upload from my phone. I tried rebooting. I'll Google the problem & see if I can get it fixed.

Back