The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Tea House

Ahmad Tea Co. Barooti Assam. It's a blend but that is not necessarily a bad thing. The single estate teas can be very good or very bad depending on season, processing and also ones individual taste. The good thing about a blend is that it is always the same character much like a table wine whereas a single estate tea will have one distinct characteristic that can be very good or bad but mainly polarizing.

This one is a staple for me. I love fine teas and am not afraid to spend top dollar on the right stuff. I recently found a rare tea (Tong Mu Bohea Chi Gan) that was over $900.00/lb at pound price but I doubt a whole pound was even available. Those teas I love but only drink for occasions but for every day/morning cup I keep a large batch of staples of one kind or another, like this one for instance.
PXL_20230220_175218172.jpg
Malty with a cocoa finish and little to no astringency. Pairs well with milk and sugar which help tame the moderate to strong tannins. The pot is a Christmas gift (as is the mug) a cast iron with rope wrapped handle and basket...

Boy have I got a lot to share with you guys.

Boy have I got a lot to share with you guys.
Looking forward to it! I do find this fascinating. Ironically, i was just watching a History Channel show on teas so this hits the spot! And Oh, and $900/lb tea makes the shaving hobby seem affordable 😂

Last edited:
Well in fairness I didn't buy a pound, I bought one of the small packages they had which was 1.1 oz. That was the only way they sold it. Still that package was $64.75 which actually translates to $979.00/lb but who's counting? By the way, it was well worth it.
I try not to be a tea snob but it just sneaks out sometimes; usually in places like Teavana or The Spice And Tea Exchange where the staff says stupid things because their training was brief and incomplete. Even then I try not to be snobby. I just really love tea and have learned a little about it over the years.
You do this to yourself, unintentionally usually. The first introduction to "fine tea" I had was a line they carried briefly at Barnie's in a local mall decades ago which was high mountain tea from Darjeeling, Sikkim and Nepal. They had testers for looking at and for fragrance and I was wowed by it but when I saw the price on the tins I was shocked. I remember thinking, "boy that smells spectacular but there is NO WAY I am spending that much on tea."  Eventually the whole lot went on clearance so I bought a tin at the greatly reduced price. By the time it was over I think I had bought everything they had and would gladly have paid double the original price if I could find it again. Aside from a specialty batch of Twinnings vintage Darjeeling that my brother had given me for Christmas, that was my first venture out of orange pekoe and pekoe cut black tea. After that I became really into the high elevation grown Indian and Nepalese teas, in particular teas from Nepal. I became really interested in the various tea estates and experimented a lot with different flushes. I even started to watch weather patterns in the Himalayas and try to predict how it would affect the various upcoming crops. Then on a suggestion, I bought some oolong tea; a particularly good batch of Chinese Ti Quan Yin and then from there began to discover more about oolong's, then the green teas, mainly Chinese, then the Japanese greens yada yada yada. In short my horizons broadened. The great thing about it is that the more different things you learn about and the broader your horizons become the more you can appreciate it and yet I still like the British style English Cuppa with milk and sugar. There is just more to love.

Many of my tea drinking friends will cop an attitude about teas that don't meet their approval. "Ew! I can't drink that swill!" I don't drink swill either but there's a difference between swill, the everyday tea, good tea and fine tea. There is nothing wrong with tea bags necessarily. One that I keep around my house for people who don't particularly like fancy stuff is Lipton yellow label tea bags. In fact I think Lipton is one of if not the best for iced tea. Now the Walmart brand tea I won't buy but Yorkshire tea, Tetley, Twinnings, Taylor's of Harrogate and that group which a lot of so-called connoisseurs turn their nose up at I keep as staple teas.

People ask me, "What is the best tea?" My answer is the one that you like. Or sometimes they will ask, "What is the best way to drink tea?" My answer is the way that you like it. As a rule, just like whiskey, wine, cigars or any other appreciatible comestible I tell people that just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's good. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it bad. Like what you like the way you like it for the reasons that you like it and don't let anyone shame you for that. Don't let anyone tell you what to like or what to not like. There is something for everyone and the enjoyment of it is the only pursuit.

Last edited:
Said it about coins, movies, shave soap, razors, brushes, cigars, coffee, sumo, pens, and Referee stuff. I will not fall down the other traps!
Well I would agree, but if you look at the evidence. You are strong with watches, however you are weak on consumables, ie Bourbon, and all the stuff above. You are doomed. Good job @PaulFLUS you are ready for the CEC

Da hong Pao, "big red robe" oolong tea from Wuyi Mountains in Fujian Province.
PXL_20230221_030613518.jpg
First brew for these leaves. It is said that they can be brewed up to 9 times but I have not been found this batch to brew nearly that many times; 5-6 at most. Exceptional examples of this loose (not rolled or "balled" tea) oolong have bright orchid notes and an outstanding and long lasting floral aftertaste which increases with subsequent steepings.

Here's my take at fancy...

In the evening I like a cup of tea tonight I was feeling

20230220_202127.jpg

I waited for my pot to whistle, added a tiny bit a honey maybe a tsp. Mmm

There might also be a shot of rye whiskey in there shhhh

Back