The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Tea House

dkeester

"TSC's Master of Bourbon"
Coffee seems to be the caffeinated beverage of choice around The Cadre. But, there are some of us who enjoy the wonders of drinking tea also.

I started getting interested in tea in the Eighth Grade on a family vacation. We were having breakfast at a fancy restaurant which had a very nice selection of flavored teas. It was love at first sip of that mint flavored black tea. It was my favorite auntie that introduced me to the Oolong which started my interest in Chinese teas which continues to this day.

So, what do you like to drink? What are you drinking today? Do you have any special equipment for making it? Pictures of teapots are definitely encouraged.

This afternoon I am having a big cup of this wonderful stuff:

A coworker who recently spent some time in Turkey turned me on to it. If you like black teas, you should try this one. Yum.

Also, I didn't realize before buying this item that 1 kilogram of tea is enough to last 1-2 people at least a year. It is a huge amount of tea. Not that I am complaining. As long as I keep it in a sealed container, I will have delicious drinks for months and months, or possibly years and years.

I do prefer coffee, but there are some teas I absolutely love. Chai, green/matcha, Hong Kong style honey milk tea, and genmaicha.

No special implements at home though, as much as I like those, we hardly ever have them, and we usually just end up picking a generic pre-bagged tea because we don’t give it any fore thought before shopping.

I may just order something online now that I’m thinking about it lol...

I do prefer coffee, but there are some teas I absolutely love. Chai, green/matcha, Hong Kong style honey milk tea, and genmaicha.

No special implements at home though, as much as I like those, we hardly ever have them, and we usually just end up picking a generic pre-bagged tea because we don’t give it any fore thought before shopping.

I may just order something online now that I’m thinking about it lol...
Coffee can be easier, especially in the office or at a restaurant. But, there is something meditative about a hot cup of tea.

I am not a huge fan of Chai teas. The spices can be a bit off putting. I do really like green teas. Matcha is really good stuff (especially as a latte), but my personal favorites are Longjing and Gunpowder.

Tea makes me mad. In a non-scientific observational and anecdotal study run by myself, 99% of teas don't taste anywhere close to as good as they can smell. The one exception for me is Earl Gray tea, but the downfall with that is again 99% of them are too tannic. I did finally find one that is not and quite lovely as they would say across the pond. So you ask what do I drink. There is only one tea that I do drink.

1588883940768.png

I enjoy a cup of tea from time to time. Have some loose leaf Earl Grey I got from Arbor Teas at home. It's delicious!

My wife's current favorite tea is this:

It is a wonderful herbal tea that is great for relaxing in the evening.

I really enjoy a glass of tea as well. It is usually coffee form wakey until about 4PM. Then I switch to tea. Not a big chai tea guy, but I really enjoy Earl Gray and Lady Gray. In fact I'll be right back gotta go put the kettle on!

I really enjoy a glass of tea as well. It is usually coffee form wakey until about 4PM. Then I switch to tea. Not a big chai tea guy, but I really enjoy Earl Gray and Lady Gray. In fact I'll be right back gotta go put the kettle on!
I'd join you but about to have dinner and I think a beer would be better with the beans and weenie's

I have tired and enjoyed many varieties. Earl Grey is what got me started in Hot tea, thanks Picard. It really depends on my mood what i drink. My wife loves a good mint green tea. we are getting low on loose leaf as we have worked through most of what we stocked up on as our local Teavana's were closing up. If ya'll have a good source let me know.

Oh, and good earth sweet and spicy is a favorite when i want something sweet. It's almost like a spiced cider. Makes a killer hot toddy too!

I am not huge hot tea drinker but I will drink a LOT of iced tea in the summer. I found that I can turn any good tea into ICED tea so I recently started buying some interesting stuff from different tea houses here and there to try hot so I have an idea of stuff to use this summer. My wife likes Chai tea's and some lavender or herbal tea, my daughter also likes tea so i end up getting stuff i think they might like too. The problem with tea is it is CRAZY expensive by the once. I know it doesn't take much to make a cup of tea but still, CRAZY expensive is CRAZY expensive. If you want a decent selection on line Burhman coffee traders has a good selection at a decent price.

Some I have tried and liked are:
Earl Grey with blue mallow flower (not its real name but that's what in it). Smells like Earl grey and fruit loops
Smokey Grey- an earl grey with some sort of piney smoke in it. (@NurseDave don't get this one, its really tanic unless you make it weak)
Tumeric cider spice herbal- interesting and tasty ...would make a killer soap scent
Chocolate Chai- its a chai blend with chocolate nibs, doesnt taste like chocolate at all but my wife likes it and i think its pretty good
Presidential blend green tea- its a green tea with weeds and flowers in it, looks like they plucked crap from my lawn but it tastes pretty good.
Jasmine green tea- smells like jasmine rice and green tea and tastes pretty good for a green tea.

All would make a decent iced tea but I think the black teas are my thing. I use a french press to make the iced tea, make a concentrated batch in the french press and pour it into a large container then pour colder water into the press and let sit a minute to extract and rinse any residual stuff then fill the container with cold water. To make hot tea I have one of those cups that have an insert you put the loose leaves in and pour hot water over, put the lid on and let steep until done then remove the insert. You can get them from Zazzle with the TSC logo on it if you want.

As far as bag tea, i like the various Tazzo tea offerings I can usually find in the bulk section, especially if I am getting tea for the kids or the office. I also like the Sleepytime tea...but it puts me to sleep.

My wife's current favorite tea is this:

It is a wonderful herbal tea that is great for relaxing in the evening.
That one is quite nice. Tea Source is local to me. It's around the gym from where my son works out, so I've spent many an evening there waiting for him.

Back