The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Hot Pepper Challenge

I'm late to this party, but great thread. I love spicy food--as a joke I once ate a whole habanero at a restaurant to impress my kids (the pepper was garnish). I've eaten habaneros before and since that day, but that particular pepper was shockingly strong. Anyway, I ended up excusing myself from the table and my kids found me laying on a cool sidewalk when they came looking for me. The hottest thing I ever ate as a challenge was a sauce called "The End" which comes in at 6,000,000 SHU. Pepper Palace made me a sign a waiver before I tried it--it wasn't horrible because it was just a couple of drops on a chip, but it kept my insides warm for a while. I wouldn't want to eat it doused on something like a chicken wing.

I taught all my kids to all be pepper heads. The saying at my house is "Tabasco is what you use when you aren't in the mood for anything spicy." They love to find me sauces with names like Grim Reaper, Da Bomb or Ghost Bride for gifts.

I tried to grow my own Scotch Bonnets last year because I wanted to make my own Jerk marinade / sauce. Never could get them to germinate. 😟

Not sure I could pull off a Reaper right now. My tolerance is not near what it used to be. When I was going down that road before, I was working up to it, building my tolerance as I went. Had some Reaper wings from BWW last night, and my stomach was not happy this morning.

I'm growing Habaneros and Ghost peppers right now. I'm pretty overwhelmed by them. We have multiple gallon bags full of each. Not sure what exactly we are going to do with them all, lol. This year we a rebuilding year for my garden. Started late, and only grew what I could find locally. Next year, plan on sprouting my own from seed starting late winter, with much more variety of hot peppers. Going to start seed shopping once my garden is done for the year.

I started mine in Feb and then put them out too early, and lost several. Luckily this one made it. I have some seeds on hand for Ghost, Reaper, Yellow Moruga Scorpion and 7 Pot Chocolate Dougla. Perhaps next year will be better.

@Spider you should try doing a lacto fermented hot sauce if you have so many peppers on hand. That was my original plan this year, but my yield will be woefully shy.

I started mine in Feb and then put them out too early, and lost several. Luckily this one made it. I have some seeds on hand for Ghost, Reaper, Yellow Moruga Scorpion and 7 Pot Chocolate Dougla. Perhaps next year will be better.

@Spider you should try doing a lacto fermented hot sauce if you have so many peppers on hand. That was my original plan this year, but my yield will be woefully shy.
I do plan on making hot sauce with my Ghost Peppers. I just need to find a recipe. I make pretty good salsa too. Might make some Habanero Jelly. My coworker made some and it's amazing.

We pick up a habanero and chocolate habanero plant from a local nursery a little over a week ago. I'm just hoping we get a few peppers from each so I can harvest the seeds. Also curious what the flavor difference might be for the chocolate habanero. They start at the upper end of the standard habanero as far as heat goes.

I'm tired of saying that I ate the second hottest pepper.
Well, there are hotter peppers out there than the Reaper....... they just don't hold the official record, but they are hotter. Just saying.

And yeah, I'd probably still do it. If for no other reason than to get you guys off my back about it (somehting Chris doesn't understand). You all seem to forget that I had a shipping delay getting the previous batch of reapers to me, and by the time I got them, I was a couple days away from having surgery. I wasn't avoiding it. I wanted to eat it.

I'm still waiting for someone to follow up my toe of Satan video.
I have two of them. Bought them so Amber and I could do it together. But after eating the "One Chip", she said she wouldn't do the Toe of Satan.

Back