The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

It could be, but I'm typically getting roasts labelled as medium and they come off as more acidic than I like. Who knows, maybe I have liked Dark Roast all this time and didn't know it. We shall see.

After about a year since posting this, a few things have changed. I now drink my coffee black. Milk absolutely ruins a cup of coffee for me now, and the only way I will drink an espresso drink is if it’s a mocha, in which case I’m just there for the chocolate anyway.

I have also found that after drinking many different dark roast coffees, I am firmly in camp Dark Roast. It’s so much smoother, and that acidic feel I was getting from the lighter and medium roasts is gone. When reading flavor descriptions of the coffees (these guys give perfume describers a run for their money) if I see anything that has a fruity description, I steer clear since fruit seems to be the code word for acidic. I don’t want my coffee bright tasting. I want it rich, so if I see ‘toasty’, nutty, smoky or chocolatey, that’s the one for me as long as there are no fruits in the descriptors.

Right now, my favorites are Black Velvet by Atomic Coffee Roasters in Massachusetts, and Revolver by Rival Brothers and Diner Blend by Herman’s Coffee, both right here in Philly.

After about a year since posting this, a few things have changed. I now drink my coffee black. Milk absolutely ruins a cup of coffee for me now, and the only way I will drink an espresso drink is if it’s a mocha, in which case I’m just there for the chocolate anyway.

I have also found that after drinking many different dark roast coffees, I am firmly in camp Dark Roast. It’s so much smoother, and that acidic feel I was getting from the lighter and medium roasts is gone. When reading flavor descriptions of the coffees (these guys give perfume describers a run for their money) if I see anything that has a fruity description, I steer clear since fruit seems to be the code word for acidic. I don’t want my coffee bright tasting. I want it rich, so if I see ‘toasty’, nutty, smoky or chocolatey, that’s the one for me as long as there are no fruits in the descriptors.

Right now, my favorites are Black Velvet by Atomic Coffee Roasters in Massachusetts, and Revolver by Rival Brothers and Diner Blend by Herman’s Coffee, both right here in Philly.
Have you tried Death Wish Coffee ? My 14 yr old Jjay loves it... The dark roast description says..... " Dark Roast. Bold flavor. Reliable. Doesn’t ask questions. Our OG bag of beans may be the only morning friend you’ll ever need—if you’re lucky. Sourced from the highest-quality coffee beans in the world and roasted to deep, never-bitter perfection, with notes of dark chocolate + black cherry. We recommend at least one cup, first thing in the morning, in total isolation. This is a pound of power—basic brews not invited.".... While it does say black cherry in the notes there does NOT seem to be a bitter or acidic taste......
71zwNrL8-PS._SL1500_.jpg

I am also firmly on the dark roast camp. My favorite is from a local shop called raging sage. Good stuff

Have you tried Death Wish Coffee ? My 14 yr old Jjay loves it... The dark roast description says..... " Dark Roast. Bold flavor. Reliable. Doesn’t ask questions. Our OG bag of beans may be the only morning friend you’ll ever need—if you’re lucky. Sourced from the highest-quality coffee beans in the world and roasted to deep, never-bitter perfection, with notes of dark chocolate + black cherry. We recommend at least one cup, first thing in the morning, in total isolation. This is a pound of power—basic brews not invited.".... While it does say black cherry in the notes there does NOT seem to be a bitter or acidic taste......
View attachment 102246
I’ve had it and it’s pretty good. I had the pleasure of getting a fresh cup from their shop in Saratoga Springs, NY a few years ago. My daughter got a……wait for it…..peanut butter latte, which I don’t recommend. 🙀

I’ve had it and it’s pretty good. I had the pleasure of getting a fresh cup from their shop in Saratoga Springs, NY a few years ago. My daughter got a……wait for it…..peanut butter latte, which I don’t recommend. 🙀
Haven't had the peanut butter. We did get this years holiday version pumpkin spice chai though...It was pretty good.

@CVargo
Well..... My curiosity got the better of me, so a Peanut Butter Latte.

Stuff:
1TBS Natural Smooth Peanut butter in Glass
3-shots Dark Roast Espresso Extracted right over Peanut Butter
3-5 Drops of Stevia, or you can use Sugar
Steamed Milk or Half & Half 3/4 cup

Deets:
Place PB in Glass or coffee cup
extract shots from espresso machine or brewed into cup or glass and stir espresso and PB together until smooth with still a good amount or crema for the layers
Steam Milk and make sure it is a bit more foamy than a standard Latte.

Pour Steamed milk over top - Enjoy

PB LAtte.jpg

Thoughts:
Pretty darn good, and adds a nice nutty flavor to the coffee. Perfect for a desert and brings out some of the chocolate notes of the dark roast espresso. A bit more sweetener would make it a bit better. Anyway a check to that experiment:coffee:
:coffee:

@CVargo

Stuff:

Deets:
extract shots from espresso machine or brewed into cup or glass and stir espresso and PB together until smooth with still a good amount or crema for the layers

Thoughts:
Pretty darn good, and adds a nice nutty flavor to the coffee. Perfect for a desert and brings out some of the chocolate notes of the dark roast espresso. A bit more sweetener would make it a bit better. Anyway a check to that experiment:coffee:

I can’t express how much I appreciate the effort you made to do this. Not my cup of, um, tea, but you make great points why it’s worth trying.

@CVargo

Stuff:

Deets:

Thoughts:
I have added peanut butter syrup (the sugar free kind) to my cappuccino and stirred with a spoon that has residual PB on it but never went so far as to put actual PB in the cup. I will need to try this. I tend to use cream or half and half for my latte like drinks so I imagine it will be a very rich drink.

@CVargo

Stuff:

Deets:

Thoughts:

I can’t express how much I appreciate the effort you made to do this. Not my cup of, um, tea, but you make great points why it’s worth trying.

After seeing about this we decided to "try" peanut butter coffee here at my house too... I made some drark roast and put peanut butter into the bottom of some cups and poured the coffee over it, we stirred it up until it melted away and then added some vanilla bean creamer and whipped milk and it was quite good considering I didnt use any special stuff to do it. I didnt use the espresso machines or all that. I kept it simple this time , BUT , It was enough of a hit that our little experiment here might have to be expanded into more of a "production" next time.

After seeing about this we decided to "try" peanut butter coffee here at my house too... I made some drark roast and put peanut butter into the bottom of some cups and poured the coffee over it, we stirred it up until it melted away and then added some vanilla bean creamer and whipped milk and it was quite good considering I didnt use any special stuff to do it. I didnt use the espresso machines or all that. I kept it simple this time , BUT , It was enough of a hit that our little experiment here might have to be expanded into more of a "production" next time.

What have I done? :eek:

Back