The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Travel Channel

NurseDave

“The TSC’s Cobb Salad”
Legacy
First Responder
Bingo Wizard
Concierge
I love hearing about, thinking about and planning trips. Here's a spot for people to share some of their favorite locations, hints, things to avoid etc. Post your questions for those that have been, and your guidance for those that are going.

I'll get the ball rolling here. My wife and I just celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary. We are wanting to start planning a big trip for our 10th. We want to do Hawaii possibly. If we do Hawaii for those that have been do you recommend doing an Island Hopping cruise or just booking hotels? Pros and cons of each?

I'll kick it off with my favorite trip ever. Well so far. We went to Tahiti for our honeymoon 4 years ago.

Flight down to LA and then straight to Tahiti. We landed on the island of Tahiti itself, then took a ferry to the next close island of Moorea. This is a smaller and nicer island. Tahiti, for what we saw that morning and the day we left is a little dirtier and run down with an actual city. Moorea is basically an extinct volcano with one road that wraps around it. This results in beautifully dramatic steep hills of black lava rock covered in lush greenery. Other than growing pineapples, the main focus is tourism, but a lot of other workers take the ferry over from Tahiti. So the island is covered with little huts and old homes of locals without the touristy feel. There are plenty of resorts on the water, but they are nicely spaced out. We actually stayed in one of those over-the-water bungalows with a window in the floor to watch the fish and a ladder right into the water. I snorkeled several times a day and fed the fish with the baguette you can buy in many shops fresh every morning for $2.

Other than just relaxing and enjoying the beauty, they have what you would expect from a tropical paradise. We went whale watching that ended with actually swimming with sharks, took an ATV tour of the hills with gorgeous views and learning about pineapple farming, and I took an ocean jet ski tour with a few snorkeling stops.

This is one place that I would 100% go to again, but also probably never go to with the kids. We asked if they had anything special for people on a honeymoon and were told the whole ferry was full of people on their honeymoon. But given the distance and how many places we have yet to see in the world, I'm not sure if we'll ever get back.

I'll get the ball rolling here. My wife and I just celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary. We are wanting to start planning a big trip for our 10th. We want to do Hawaii possibly. If we do Hawaii for those that have been do you recommend doing an Island Hopping cruise or just booking hotels? Pros and cons of each?

When I went to Guam, I had a 1 day layover in Oahu each way. I went to Pearl Harbor, The USS Arizona, Hiked Diamond head, went to the beach and toured the Dole Plantation. That was two full days. And I pretty much saw all I wanted to see on that island. Now, granted, I was passing the time, and not being "a tourist", so that could have dragged out longer. And I was by myself, so I could go pretty fast. If I was with someone else, I'd have certainly toured slower. I you are really interested in Pearl Harbor and doing all the tours, that could easily fill 2 days. It's really powerful. Especially the tour of the Arizona. I didn't do any swimming or snorkeling, because I did that on Guam. From what I saw on Oahu, I wish I could go see the other islands, but really it depends on how long you are going to be there. I'd search the major attractions for each island, and figure out what you want to see, and see if it is practical in your allotted time. Really, I don't think anybody is satisfied form one visit there, and everyone who goes plans another trip later so they can see and do other stuff. Also, do you want to be tourists, going around hitting all the sights? or do you just want to be beach bums and live the island life for a few days. Hopefully, a little of both, that would make a great trip. So, not really an answer to your question, but hopefully some things for you to think about that will help. If you have any more specific questions about my time, feel free to ask.

I agree with KJ. Pearl Harbor was much more and better than I was expecting. Our first time to Hawaii was with the kids. We did 5 nights in Maui and then when to Oahu for a few more. Getting to Pearl Harbor was totally worth it, but we all like Maui much better. We stayed right in Honolulu and it was just any other big city. But Maui had a nice quite vibe about it, but plenty to do. And you can easily spend a whole week there and stay pretty busy. I was going to suggest not doing a cruise so you can get a flavor for an island, but if you had excursions on different islands maybe it would be a great way to see the differences while also enjoying a cruise and not footing the crazy hotel prices or paying for island hopper plane tickets.

if you guys like the quiet vibe the big Island has it in spades, love it there

if you guys like the quiet vibe the big Island has it in spades, love it there
Have you been to Kauai? I'm curious how it compares to that one. I've heard Kauai is also great for just lush and quiet.

Yes and that is ultra quiet,. however they do not take to Howlies very well away from the Resorts, nice bu very protective. Hawaii ( the Big Island) can be that way in spots but we like it the best. We have not been to Maui yet. Next year we hope

Lived in Hawaii for about four and a half years. Stationed there actually. A lot of great suggestions here. If you only have a few days, stay on one of the islands and pick a day to fly over to another. There are "commuter flights" that fly to the other islands so you can leave in the morning and return in the evening if you want to. Unless it is Kauai...that takes a little longer to get to and then if only spending a day there, get a hotel. You can do quiet on Oahu...you just need to stay on the North Shore. If you go in the winter...that is when you will see 30 foot waves...yes 30 foot waves. They measure them differently than in California so a 30 foot wave in Hawaii is a lot bigger than in California. Kauai and the Big Island are my favorites. Kauai is probably the most beautiful tropical place I have seen...on TV or in real life. There is even a canyon there. The Big Island has an active volcano and some of the land scape looks like it s straight out of an apocalypse. Both islands are perfect for relaxing.

I have to run to work but I will talk about the other islands later.

You guys are making me want to get there now. All I know is that when we go we are trying to plan 10 days!

10 days! You go for 10 days and you are never coming back.

Well we have alway cruised on the Princess line, and they have 10 day island hopper cruises. So you fly out there board a ship, you spend ten days going to different islands some you spend two days on. So then we would just plan our excursions etc. Then after the ten days fly home. It seems really tempting because food etc is covered in the cruise fare.

Anybody have any suggestions on must see places in the Denver area? My wife and I are going there in 2 weeks.

Anybody have any suggestions on must see places in the Denver area? My wife and I are going there in 2 weeks.
Just a bit tongue in cheek, but if you're anywhere close to this restaurant there is nothing else like it. Waterfall in side with cliff divers, a cave you walk through. Something I remember pretty well from when I was a kid. http://www.casabonitadenver.com/

[QUOTE username=Quijote]Anybody have any suggestions on must see places in the Denver area?[/QUOTE]

I used to live near there, but didn't actually make to into Denver that much. The butterfly pavilion was my favorite place to go.
https://www.butterflies.org

Hey guys, going to be in D.C. for a couple of days next month. Any suggestions for a neat dinner place or shaving supplies? We’ll be about a 15 min walk NE from the White House.

Hey guys, going to be in D.C. for a couple of days next month. Any suggestions for a neat dinner place or shaving supplies? We’ll be about a 15 min walk NE from the White House.

I haven't been since I was 12 years old so no good answer from me. I do remember going to a BBQ place though. Can't remember name.

I did find out that my company might be sending me in August though.

I've been to DC about five times in the last three years. Most of the restaurants I ended up going to were pretty good but nothing special. Except for Lapis Afghan Bistro.

http://www.lapisdc.com/

This place is amazing! It has even been awarded a Bib Gormund! A Bib Gormund is an a award by the same people that hand out Michelin Stars. The Bib Gormund is an award for restaurants that hand out "exceptionally good food at moderate prices." This place is really good. And from a guy who ate at the houses of regular people while I was in Afghanistan (I had an interesting job over there), this place is either spot on, or has a modern take on a very ancient food style! I seriously recommend Lapis...make reservations though...they fill up.

As far as Shaving supplies...I am sure there are places, but the only place I found was Grooming Lounge. But they have a lot of their own products and a few other things...but don't go there looking for artisan soaps or for that matter much of anything else.

Hope this helps!

I've been to DC about five times in the last three years. Most of the restaurants I ended up going to were pretty good but nothing special. Except for Lapis Afghan Bistro.

http://www.lapisdc.com/

This place is amazing! It has even been awarded a Bib Gormund! A Bib Gormund is an a award by the same people that hand out Michelin Stars. The Bib Gormund is an award for restaurants that hand out "exceptionally good food at moderate prices." This place is really good. And from a guy who ate at the houses of regular people while I was in Afghanistan (I had an interesting job over there), this place is either spot on, or has a modern take on a very ancient food style! I seriously recommend Lapis...make reservations though...they fill up.

As far as Shaving supplies...I am sure there are places, but the only place I found was Grooming Lounge. But they have a lot of their own products and a few other things...but don't go there looking for artisan soaps or for that matter much of anything else.

Hope this helps!
Thanks! I’ll look it up

I've been to Vegas several times, and pretty well know my way around, but I'm going again in a week or two, so does anybody have any recommendations of must see/must visit/must eat here? Maybe some place I have missed?

Back