The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Rolls Razor

Nice specimen Kyle. I had one but the stone was broke. Not shattered like some you see, just one break across. I never used it though and traded it to someone that had a good case, but needed the blades. Can't even remember what I got for it now....
1f644.png

@uacowboy have you ever tried an edge on one, exclusively on the dry hone that is included? I was thinking of trying to use the mechanism included before going straight to my modern hones. Thanks

@uacowboy have you ever tried an edge on one, exclusively on the dry hone that is included? I was thinking of trying to use the mechanism included before going straight to my modern hones. Thanks
I haven't, I felt like the hone it comes with was pretty rough to the touch. I'm sure you could get a sharp enough edge but I think it might be kinda harsh.

I haven't, I felt like the hone it comes with was pretty rough to the touch. I'm sure you could get a sharp enough edge but I think it might be kinda harsh.
I'll see what condition the edges are in and see what needs done. Thanks!

I just had the thought of having a custom cut piece of tile made, that is the size of the original hone, and then pasting a piece of film on it for a more "modern" touch up hone. Not sure where I would get such a tile, but now I am curious.

Got my Rolls Razor in over the weekend. It's hone and strop are in wonderful condition as is the blade and spare. I followed the directions and honed it 50 laps on the hone and stropped it off for about 45 seconds on the leather component(looks to be impregnated with Fe). It was easily passing the HHT all across the blade. I'll give it a shot this evening to see how it shaves.
BEFEB291-8C76-4830-9060-5914600122D3.jpegB9269EB0-A4D0-43C6-835E-0743A3A08BEA.jpeg909596B5-91B6-4CF8-88E2-CB577652A6B2.jpeg

It's hone and strop are in wonderful condition as is the blade and spare. I followed the directions and honed it 50 laps on the hone and stropped it off for about 45 seconds on the leather component(looks to be impregnated with Fe). It was easily passing the HHT all across the blade. I'll give it a shot this evening to see how it shaves.
It seems you definitely lucked out on that one for sure. Looks great!

I managed to get my morning shave done, in between zoom calls this morning. I AM AMAZED! I shaved with the Rolls razor directly from the package I received. I only gave it the 50 laps on the hone, then trapped it for 45 seconds and then again for 30 seconds before the shave. THE SHAVE: a very fine DFS with barely a hint of burn from Pinaud Clubman, which is very encouraging. The shave process was pretty easy, like others said its like shaving with a straight razor on a stick and I know how to handle a straight. The only difficult spot I had was getting those pesky hairs under my nose... I feel like I can get a bit closer next time around and may give a try to touching the edge up on my coticule, but overall I'm very happy. No cuts or weepers and a nice DFS.

The Tools:
  • Pre-shave: Stirling Pre-Shave Menthol Soap
  • Brush: Art of Shaving Silvertip Badger
  • Razor: Rolls Razor: Honed 50, Stropped 45/30/45
  • Soap: Yardley Shaving Soap
  • Witch-hazel: Thayer's Cucumber
  • Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
  • Balm: None
No Photo, too busy with work....

They are a fun and unique razor for sure. It was what finally convinced me that I should try SR shaving.

Back