The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Cowboy Boot Corral

My sister in law has owned/worked with race horses since she was a kid and naturally spends a lot of time wearing boots. She swears by Arriat boots. Does anyone have any experience with or opinions on the brand?

The main reason Ariat are so good as working/riding is they are less expensive, and you won't worry about knocking them around like you would with some like the ones I have gotten.
I disagree. The main reason they are so good is the comfort.

I grew up around rodeo and rode bulls myself for 10 years. Ariat makes the most comfortable boots for wearing and being on your feet all day in (short of a flat-soled work boot).

I have 4 pairs two lace up versions a roper and a more dressy. Impossible to destroy and the most comfortable boot I have ever worn for working around the ranch or out on the town. Big Fan here

See, when I was trying them I could not match the comfort of the boots I already owned, or the Luccheses I ended up going with.

Granted, I was shopping for a more traditional western boot, leather soles, etc.
That's really the main knock against them is the rubber soles. I love mine, though. I had to have a piece of a heel reattached on one pair, but otherwise they've held up great.

As promised, I want to show off my entire collection, one pair at a time. I hope y'all will follow suit. I cannot get enough of seeing folks' boots and hearing what they love about them.

So, in 2019 my wife and I took a trip to Dallas in September. We went there to attend a Cowboys game, and to check out the cities of Dallas and Austin, since I hadn't been back to Dallas since I was a toddler. I was born there, and I still have two older half-sisters who live there.

While we were planning the trip I decided that I was coming home with two things: a cowboy hat and a pair of cowboy boots. I saved up about $400 (kind of on the lighter side, in retrospect) just for those items, and we agreed that our first full day in Texas was going to include a trip to a western store. After looking around, I discovered one of the most well-known locations in Dallas for buying hats and boots: Wild Bill's Western Store.

Wild Bills Outside.jpg

Wild Bills Inside.jpg

I looked at hats first, since that was priority #1, and deciding on a hat left me with my firm budget for boots. Once the hat was done and taken to the checkout to wait for me, I sat down with a wonderful saleslady who helped me with trying on the different styles I was interested in. I knew that I did not want to get anything with a wide square toe, just because I am not a fan of how they look, but neither did I want a full point, or fully round like a pair of work boots. While I looked and tried them on, she offered my wife and I a beer, whice we gladly accepted.

I was carefully checking and fitting different boots for awhile when my wife handed me a pair to try on. I was stuck by how unique they looked. Once I put them on I knew I had my boots. I ended up buying, for my very first pair, the Bodega by Lane Boots.

Lane Full.jpgThese boots are full grain cowhide in a cognac color, and braided cord details on the shaft and at the scallops. The leather is nice and soft, with enough firmness to also be comfortable and hold its shape. I love the way the creases and variegations in the hide come through as the boot has been worn. The color effect is pretty impressive, as the raised parts keep their reddish brown, while the creases show a much lighter color.

I use neutral polish on these because I do not want to cover up that unique look. They are leather soled with a traditional Goodyear welt, so they can be resoled by my local cobbler with ease when the time comes.

The toe shape is what got my attention the most. It is considered a wide snip toe. Snip toes got the name because it looks as if someone took a pointed toe and snipped off the end. I actually like the different widths of snips that are available, as you will see when I post my other boots. This has become my favorite toe shape by far.

Lane Toe.jpg

After I finished polishing my boots last night, I came to notice a tiny detail I had never seen before. Lane Boots puts their emblem inside the shaft of the boot. They also stamped it into the sole, but that is one of the first things to wear down. What I found yesterday was a little surprise detail I never expected. Along the back of the heel cup, known as the counter, they stitching has the Lane emblem as well. It's such a tiny detail that I am not surprised I missed it, but now that I know it's there it makes me very happy.

Lane Emblem 1.jpgLane Emblem 2.jpg

As these are my first pair, they have also been worn the most. The leather has relaxed a little so they definitely do not fit as snugly as the day I first got them. However, they are not so loose that they would ever slip off my feet. I do wear my thickest pair of boot socks with these boots, just to keep them from feeling looser.

So, while we were visiting Texas, I had been getting my Facebook feed pinged with advertising by a company called Tecovas. They were in the process of launching their first Python boots, and they had been around on the internet for awhile. I had never really thought of buying from them because, as I figured, getting fitted for boots is a pretty personal experience. Sure they offered a great return policy, but you know how disappointing it can be to wait for a delivery only to have to send it back for a replacement.

Anyways, after out first day in Austin, when we had walked around South Congress, I mentioned that evening to my wife the ads I had been seeing for this brand called Tecovas. Her immediate reply was that she had seen some men walking around earlier in the day carrying shopping bags with that name on it. I was incredulous, and immediately went to Tecovas' website. I was amazed to see that they had 2 physical stores, with one ON SOUTH CONGRESS! Now, I had already blown my budget on my first boots, but my wife was very accommodating about visiting there the next day to check them out and try on some boots.

So the next day we went to their store and went inside

Tecovas-Storefront_011955.jpg

Tecovas inside.jpg

The gentleman who helped us was very friendly, even when I told him how I was only there to see how they fit, since I had already bought my allotment, haha. I tried on their roper in python (since the cowboy shape had already sold out), and then I tried on their cowboy shape in alligator. I was able to dial in the exact size that fit me best, but would not be dropping another couple hundred on a second pair of boots so soon. Luckily, he assured me that they use the same lasts for all their boots of the same size, so the way that these alligator fit should match up with the way some of the other boots would fit, which is exactly what I had been hoping to hear. Now if I ever ordered some Tecovas I would know my size off the bat.

We scoped their store, and I ended up buying a cast iron bottle opener and a T-shirt. Also, while we were there, I notices their checkout counter also had a bar runner mat. I asked if they served any drinks, kind of joking, and the clerk said "Absolutely, what would you like? No charge." Have I mentioned how much I love boot shopping in Texas? The runner was decorated with a logo that said "Fistful of Bourbon", in an old Spaghetti Western font, so of course I had to get one of those. My wife doesn't like whiskey so she just got a bottle of Topo Chico (sparkling water, if you know it you know it). So I walked out that day with a new bourbon on my "to buy" list along with the knowledge I needed when I went to get some new boots.

A month or so later I was given my start date for my new job with the U.S. Navy as a civilian program analyst. This was a huge jump in pay and responsibility over what I had been making, so I decided I deserved something nice to celebrate, and to make a statement at my new job. I had been looking at the different boots on Tecovas, and really landed on their caiman cowboy boots, called the Dillon, and their pecan color, which was the boldest choice to show off the skin. So, these were my second pair of boots, and the ones I walked into my first day of government service wearing with pride:

Dillon.jpg

Now I had two pairs, and could properly rotate them. It's recommended to let your boots rest for a day to dry out the moisture from your feet, so I could now make sure I had boots on every day, and now I am "the boot guy" at the office, since that is all I wear. And the hat, of course.

The exotic skins may be intimidating to wear at first, but they really up the confidence factor when you put them on. Proper care is still pretty easy, but VERY important. I will soon post what I have learned to share with you guys if you are considering becoming a "boot guy" yourself.

I used to have a pair of python in a black and white, but they were cheaper boots. I had a pair of elephant that were an off white sort of natural ivory color that I had put new heel caps and half soles on probably 20 times before finally wearing them out. This is the only pair I have currently. Opted for the rubber sole instead of a leather with these for durability, but I find myself not wearing them as much as I wore the elephant ones.

20211009_140730.jpg

I actually just finished polishing these for a wedding next weekend. These are my Ariat blacks, which I are pretty much my dress boots. I rode bulls for 10 years, so I'm still partial to riding heels. I also have wide feet, so square and round toes work best for me. I also prefer the look of the square toes. I've had these for probably 15 years.

Black_Ariats.jpg

Back