The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Cowboy Boot Corral

The snakes have landed safely!

20211004_132247.jpg

20211004_132318.jpg

20211004_132426.jpg

First things first: there are very few things that smell as nice as a brand new pair of boots. My wife could smell them from across the room as soon as I opened the box.

These things are gorgeous. I have long wanted some snakes, but never felt like the super flashy bleached pythons or rattlesnakes really fit my style. These are close to perfect for me. The brick color suits my preferred color pallette, and the finish is just rugged enough to seem casual, despite the fact that it's freaking python skin!

The shape is my deal maker, though. When I was shopping for boots, I absolutely couldn't bring myself to wear the big wide square toes. No offense intended, but to me they look like boat paddles. And while a medium round toe is perfectly fine, it doesn't carry the same amount of grit I was looking for. When I discovered snip toes I knew I was home. From some that are a little wider, to ones that could almost be considered cockroach killers, snips really trip my trigger. And now that one of my favorite boot companies made them, I had to have em.

Best of all, the fit on these bad boys was PERFECT right out of the box. No real surprise, as they usually keep their sizing pretty consistent across all their models. I just need to wear them around the house for a few days to break in the sole, and then I plan to debut them in public at the upcoming Orville Peck show ok the 21st.

Does this technique add to the labor & costs of making them? They are beautiful
I don't think the labor is much more intensive, but the hides themselves are more scarce, so these are going to run a bit more than cowhide, for sure. But not as expensive as my caiman skins.

A good thing about Tecovas is they are hand-making their boots in the oldest bootmaking city in the world, in Mexico, and they can afford to pass savings on to the customer. So this boot would be twice the cost from another maker. And their pricing has been the same for all the different python boots they have released over the years, so I kinda knew what they would cost before they got released.

So umm, what style of boots will go with the shorts I wear 90% of the time I'm not at work?
boot-sandals8.jpg

My sister in law has owned/worked with race horses since she was a kid and naturally spends a lot of time wearing boots. She swears by Arriat boots. Does anyone have any experience with or opinions on the brand?

My sister in law has owned/worked with race horses since she was a kid and naturally spends a lot of time wearing boots. She swears by Arriat boots. Does anyone have any experience with or opinions on the brand?
I came close to buying some Ariat boots, but I didn't pull the trigger, only because I ended up finding another brand that was a bit more what I was looking for.

They make most of their boots in Asia, and they are factory made, so they will usually be pretty consistent. Some of the finer fit and finish things just weren't my cup of tea. I prefer leather insoles to the kind of foam or fabric that Ariat uses. But you will spend less out the gate.

The main reason Ariat are so good as working/riding is they are less expensive, and you won't worry about knocking them around like you would with some like the ones I have gotten.

I came close to buying some Ariat boots, but I didn't pull the trigger, only because I ended up finding another brand that was a bit more what I was looking for.

They make most of their boots in Asia, and they are factory made, so they will usually be pretty consistent. Some of the finer fit and finish things just weren't my cup of tea. I prefer leather insoles to the kind of foam or fabric that Ariat uses. But you will spend less out the gate.

The main reason Ariat are so good as working/riding is they are less expensive, and you won't worry about knocking them around like you would with some like the ones I have gotten.
This makes sense. I was thinking about a pair for work, and since I spend a lot of time in the yard they might be the way to go. It’s either extremely dusty when dry, or a mud puddle when it rains lol.

I have had a couple of pairs of Arriat boots. There Well made and priced good. My last pair lasted 5 years and I was working Construction then.

"Why is it I always get my best ideas while shaving?" ~ Albert Einstein

I have had a couple of pairs of Arriat boots. There Well made and priced good. My last pair lasted 5 years and I was working Construction then.

"Why is it I always get my best ideas while shaving?" ~ Albert Einstein
Sounds like the way to go for me then. They probably won’t nearly the amount of abuse that you put yours through lol

Back