The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Cowboy Boot Corral

WildWest74

Could be John Wayne
So, 2 years ago I bought my first pair of cowboy boots in Dallas while on a trip with my wife. I wore them daily until I got a second pair that I could rotate, and have since become known as the "Boot Guy" because even people who only know me in passing have gotten used to seeing me in my different boots. If I ever got lazy and wore regular shoes I have gotten questioned on the spot, haha.

I realize that this particular fashion choice may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I wanted to start a thread to celebrate boots and the gentlemen (and ladies) who wear them. I plane to make some posts outlining my current collection, as well as things I have learned about boots and how they are made, how they are supposed to fit, and why they have become my favorite footwear.

Now, some of you may be wondering why it has taken 2 years to begin this thread, and that is valid. I will admit that I have been very busy with my new career as a senior-level Analyst with the U.S. Navy (civilian), but I still keep tabs on all my cadre compadres. But this week I got the perfect kick in the pants to start sharing with y'all.

Some of you may have seen the Tecovas brand advertising on the internet and now on TV. I visited their store in Austin on the same trip where I had already bought the boots in Dallas. They offer a great brand experience (I got to enjoy a complementary glass of bourbon while I was just trying on boots, even though I didn't buy a new pair that day), and their designs are great. My second pair of boots were some caiman belly boots I got from them to celebrate my new job that November. When I was trying on boots in the store I was assured that their sizes were consistent, so the size I fit best in store would translate to my order, and they were correct. Even still, they offer 100% free returns if the sizing is ever off.

The only thing that has kept me from buying another pair from them is the fact that my favorite toe shape, snip-toe, isn't made in their men's line. Also, I have been hankering for a pair of snakeskins, and when Tecovas releases their python boots they sell out within hours.

Well, yesterday I checked my email and followed the link Tecovas sent me, where I found this picture:
Barrett_landing-page_gallery_02_600x.progressive.jpg

These are their new python boots, with their first-ever snip-toe for men! I was so happy to see them, then got sad because my wife and I have paid off ALL our credit cards and promised we would only buy things for which we have the cash saved up. I decided to enjoy the fact that this means Tecovas may release more snip-toe boots in the future, and start saving for my next pair.

I did share the link with my wife, because we had just been talking a couple weeks ago about how I wish Tecovas made a snip-toe. Plus the fact that I am craving snakeskin for my next pair is well-documented. To be fair, she documents everything, LOL.

So, fast forward to last evening, as the wife and I sat down to watch some television on streaming. We picked our show, and the very first commercial to pop up before the show started was a Tecovas ad. "Of course..." I chuckled, because why wouldn't the universe rub it in my face that these limited boots were coming and I had to suck it up? My wife looked over and said, "You really want those boots, don't you?" I replied honestly that, yes, I would love to have them. But I also said that I knew I couldn't get them since I haven't got enough saved up for when they release on Friday, and the last pythons they released sold out in 93 minutes. So, yes, I would love to have them, but I am ok with missing out.

Then my wife, this amazing, beautiful, smart, and most-of-all UNDERSTANDING woman, said, "You should buy them when they come out. They can be your Christmas present."

Floored me. I have spent the last several hours (when I haven't been sleeping) making sure to do the little things that remind her of how much I appreciate her.

So now I wait for the release time on Friday Oct 1. I am more nervous about this drop than I have been about any release by The Holy Black, and y'all KNOW how excited I get about The Holy Black. Wish me luck, cowpokes!

Nice looking Boots. Keep up on that Release and good luck.

"Why is it I always get my best ideas while shaving?" ~ Albert Einstein

I have a few pairs and wear them pretty regularly. I'll get some pics later.

My Double H square toe boots are my fall/winter "sandals" if you will. I can be super lazy and just quickly slip them on/off as I come and go, take out the dog, get the mail, etc.

That is a nice looking pair of boots! My stepdad has an extensive collection that includes exotics. Too bad his foot is smaller than mine. I have a pair of Elk that are super soft. But the ones I miss were mule and tough as nails. Those were my kick around boots until I outgrew them.

I have gotten my shipping confirmation, and I won't be posting photos of my other boots until after I do my regular maintenance on Monday, so I decided to share my thoughts on an important aspect of cowboy boots: proper fitting!

Fitting a cowboy boot is actually pretty straightforward if you remember some key things to look for once they are on your foot.

Start with your normal shoe size and grab a pair of boots that match. I also recommend going with a normal width at first, unless you have had your foot pre-measured on a Brannock device and know for certain you need something wider. When you pull on the boots, you should expect them to be a little tight at the throat (where the shaft turns the corner into the upper), but with the right amount of pull your foot should slip in with a satisfying "thunk". If you don't get that thunk, your boots are too big. Go down a half size and try again.

Once your foot is in the boot, you should experience what feels like a firm handshake around the instep and top of your foot. That's what will keep the boot secure on your foot, so you want no looseness in this part of the boot at all.

Your toes should not feel cramped in the toe box, and you will know right away based on the feel. If you have the perfect amount of firmness around your instep but your toes feel cramped, you might want to consider a different toe shape in the same size, as some toe shapes give more room than others (more on that in another post haha).

Last, let's check your heel. When you are walking in properly fitting new boots, your heel is supposed to slip up by as much as an inch and a half. New leather soles are stiff, and until they break in your heel is going to slip. As long as the fit around your instep is proper your feet will not slide out of the boots. And once you have worn them a few times the heel slip will become less noticeable or even disappear over time. If your heel does not slip in a new pair of boots, they are definitely too small.

Properly fitting boots might also take some effort to remove, so I recommend investing in a boot jack to keep by the front door. Hands-free removal is a blessing.

When fitting your boots you should also consider the possible relaxing of the leather over time. Some leathers like bovine, goat, etc will stretch as they age, so boots that seem perfect at first may feel looser in a few months. Thicker boot socks can help if that happens. On the flip side, a lot of exotic leathers will not stretch as much, so you never want to buy a pair that's a little tight and hope they will stretch out later.

Ok, cowpokes! I hope that helps y'all on your next trip to shop for some fine footwear!

I always wanted a pair of cowboy boots but never felt that I could pull off the look lol. There’s a store in our local mall that always has a few pairs on display in the window (probably not good boots, it’s a trendy fashion store) and I always tell my wife I need the same pair because they’re Lemmy boots. She just rolls her eyes and says keep walking lol.

539D4915-C06A-4F1F-8184-37BAB83B9550.jpeg

Seriously though I would go with something a little less in your face. And I definitely wouldn’t try to pull off the pants tucked in to the boot look 😂😂😂

I always wanted a pair of cowboy boots but never felt that I could pull off the look lol. There’s a store in our local mall that always has a few pairs on display in the window (probably not good boots, it’s a trendy fashion store) and I always tell my wife I need the same pair because they’re Lemmy boots. She just rolls her eyes and says keep walking lol.

View attachment 62592

Seriously though I would go with something a little less in your face. And I definitely wouldn’t try to pull off the pants tucked in to the boot look 😂😂😂
Lemmy boots for the win!

Back