The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Taping a Knot in a Handle?

So after 10 days I finally got an update from USPS on my package, looks like I will get it early next week and I can finally start working on my knot projects.

So my package from Shave Forge with my knots finally arrived today.

Trial #1 is a 2nd anniversary TSC brush re-knotted with a “Synthetic Gray and Black Shaving Brush Knot (24mm x 68mm)” from Shave Forge. It is set to a loft of 57mm. In order to get it to this loft I had to use a spacer (3 washers) that totaled approximately 5mm (0.200”). 3M VHB tape was used to secure the knot in the handle.

Trial #2 is my new Knothead Brush Works handle with a “22mm Black Synthetic MAG-KNOT-BLACK-22” from Maggard Razors. It is set to a loft of 54mm. No spacer was used. 3M VHB tape was used to secure the knot in the handle.

I have a couple more handles and knots to put together but I want to test these ones first. I will pick one of these and give it a test drive tomorrow and keep you updated.

20210301_173639[1].jpg 20210301_173758[1].jpg

20210302_132358.jpg
Here is the picture of the first shave with the newly re-knotted 2nd anniversary TSC brush and a new soap base and scent from @CBLSoap.com.

Last edited:
Quick update: each brush has 3 shaves plus 1 extra hand lather on it, for a total of 4 uses each. Both knots are still tight in the handles and there have been no issues.

I am up to 6 uses on each brush with no sign of either of them loosening up. I know myself well enough to know that it will not be very long before I lose track of how many uses are on each of these brushes. So this may be it for specific number updates on these ones unless something changes, like the knot falling out, lol.

I have some other knot/handle combos that I want to try and I have actually been considering pulling the knot out of the red handled brush. I really like the knot but it is just a touch floppy and it could stand to be set slightly lower, unfortunately I can not mount it lower in this handle without drilling the handle deeper, which I would rather not do at this time. Also, if I pull it out it may give me a better idea as to how temporary this tape is.

That's funny @GearNoir , I chuckled out loud. I have never used Gorilla dots before so I don't know much about then. From the little bit that I have read it sounds like they are similar to the VHB. Cartoon is still funny though, thanks, I needed a laugh this morning.

Back