The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Taping a Knot in a Handle?

Fenster

"O a'u o le ULU Matai"
Concierge
Have you ever taped a knot into a handle?

I have several brush projects that I am going to start soon, I have 2 new handles coming and 2 re-knots to do on handles I have. I have ordered 5 different knots for these (and may order one more), but I am not sure which knots I want to use in which handle. As I was thinking about this I thought “wouldn’t it be nice to be able to test the knots out in the different handles (maybe at different depths too) before permanently affixing them”. So, after a little contemplation I came up with the idea of using 3M VHB tape to temporarily mount them to test out different combinations.

I know some of you are probably thinking that tape will never hold and that I am crazy (you may be correct), but I have seen this stuff hold up very well under extreme conditions in the past. I have used this tape and seen it used for around 20 years in manufacturing, both on equipment and also for consumer products.

A certain American made lighter company (rhymes with Hippo) attaches emblems to their lighters. A number of years ago they tested this tape and found that it outperformed all the other epoxies being tested (3 or 4 different makes) in an 8-foot drop test. If applied correctly, I have a very high confidence level in this tape. So high is my confidence that I am thinking of leaving at least one of the knot/handle combos together with the tape to see how long it hold up. I do have a slight concern about the repeated exposure to water which I am not sure how the tape will cope with.

So, has anyone ever tried to tape a knot in a handle before? Thoughts? Comments?

Have you ever taped a knot into a handle?

I have several brush projects that I am going to start soon, I have 2 new handles coming and 2 re-knots to do on handles I have. I have ordered 5 different knots for these (and may order one more), but I am not sure which knots I want to use in which handle. As I was thinking about this I thought “wouldn’t it be nice to be able to test the knots out in the different handles (maybe at different depths too) before permanently affixing them”. So, after a little contemplation I came up with the idea of using 3M VHB tape to temporarily mount them to test out different combinations.

I know some of you are probably thinking that tape will never hold and that I am crazy (you may be correct), but I have seen this stuff h up very well under extreme conditions in the past. I have used this tape and seen it used for around 20 years in manufacturing, both on equipment and also for consumer products.

A certain American made lighter company (rhymes with Hippo) attaches emblems to their lighters. A number of years ago they tested this tape and found that it outperformed all the other epoxies being tested (3 or 4 different makes) in an 8-foot drop test. If applied correctly, I have a very high confidence level in this tape. So high is my confidence that I am thinking of leaving at least one of the knot/handle combos together with the tape to see how long it hold up. I do have a slight concern about the repeated exposure to water which I am not sure how the tape will cope with.

So, has anyone ever tried to tape a knot in a handle before? Thoughts? Comments?
As a temp fix why not. 3 makes double sided tapes for outdoor use or for attaching auto trim.

That will hold extremely well, maybe too well, experiment some starting with a 1/2" square of tape.

That will hold extremely well, maybe too well, experiment some starting with a 1/2" square of tape.
Yeah you may be correct, better to start small. . Still waiting on knots and handles to arrive, most were scheduled to be here today but USPS has broken my heart once again, lol.

Just use silicone. Super easy to pull the knot out and not ruin anything. Can even lather and make sure knot is at right height etc
yeah I could and I usually do use silicon. At first I guess I was just looking for something quicker and easier to do back to back test lathers in the same handle. But know I am also wondering how long the tape will hold.

Post your results please. I'm curious to know how well it works. I've used 3M double sided tape a few times while making scales, and it can be a nightmare trying to remove that stuff.

Post your results please. I'm curious to know how well it works. I've used 3M double sided tape a few times while making scales, and it can be a nightmare trying to remove that stuff.
Yes that is very true @Smattayu. Yep, I will post my results.

l have also used double sided tape on scales that I have made in the past. I don't think it was VHB tape that I used, I think it was a different type, but at any rate, I had the most luck with using my thumb to roll the tape back on itself to remove it. Trying to peel, pull or scrape it off was difficult and frustrating. Rolling it off worked much better, it was still difficult, but ended up being cleaner and easier.

When I go to separate the knot from the handle, if the tape sticks down in the brush hole rather than staying on the bottom of the knot it may be difficult to remove. We shall see.

Last edited:
Before I read too far, I was thinking about a different route. What about wrapping the bottom of the knot, just the glue part, in masking tape. build it to a thickness that is just wider than the brush opening. I would think you could compress the tape and squeeze it in the brush and it would stay pretty tightly, yet be easy to pull out. ??

Yes that is very true @Smattayu. Yep, I will post my results.

l have also used double sided tape on scales that I have made in the past. I don't think it was VHB tape that I used, I think it was a different type, but at any rate, I had the most luck with using my thumb to roll the tape back on itself to remove it. Trying to peel, pull or scrape it off was difficult and frustrating. Rolling it off worked much better, it was still difficult, but ended up being cleaner and easier.

When I go to separate the knot from the handle, if the tape sticks down in the brush hole rather than staying on the bottom of the knot it may be difficult to remove. We shall see.
Naphtha, like Zippo lighter fluid (not camp fuel!) will remove most double sided tape glue quickly and completely without hurting the handle or the knot, but I've never used it on VHB tape.

Before I read too far, I was thinking about a different route. What about wrapping the bottom of the knot, just the glue part, in masking tape. build it to a thickness that is just wider than the brush opening. I would think you could compress the tape and squeeze it in the brush and it would stay pretty tightly, yet be easy to pull out. ??
Yep, as far as a temporary bond that would probably be the safest, easiest way to mock it up and test different knots and it may very well be where I end up if/when the rest of this does not work well. The more I think about it the less I believe the VHB tape is the best way to go for a temporary mock up (but I am going to try it anyway). I am still curious how well the tape will hold up long term so at least one brushes will be put together with the VHB tape and left that way.

Last edited:
Naphtha, like Zippo lighter fluid (not camp fuel!) will remove most double sided tape glue quickly and completely without hurting the handle or the knot, but I've never used it on VHB tape.
Yep, I think I may have some of that laying around ;). I also have acetone I can use, but acetone is not always as friendly to certain materials.

61nHPIuTjTL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Interesting. Quick change knots??? hmmm. Not sure it would hold the knot secure enough, but interesting idea.

This has turned into a very interesting thread. Now my brain is turning, thinking about ways to temporarily install a knothead.

Haha, same here. Consistency of the bond and ease of removal vs how quickly you can use the brush. I prefer silicone, but what if the knot just showed up in the mail and I want to use it right away?

That shows definite potential for testing multiple lofts before putting a knot in a handle. I could even see turning a larger handle and permanently affixing the outer part in it strictly for aesthetic purposes. Might require a bit of modding, but it should be doable.

I received my tape today. Unfortunately most of my knots are in USPS purgatory still. They arrived at the Distribution Center in Phoenix, AZ on the 17th and are supposedly "in transit to the next facility", but there have been no updates in a week. 😥

20210224_174852[1].jpg

Back