The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Synth Brushes, Please Help.

Wait, did they change it? The synth used to be available in both. I think.

Wait, did they change it? The synth used to be available in both. I think.
Yes so he has a black Boar and getting a green Synthetic...........I have a black synthetic and getting a black boar(But wish it was green for variety but not available in boar) TRY TO KEEP UP BOSS respectfully 🤪

Last edited:
Yes so he has a black Boar and getting a green Synthetic...........I have a black synthetic and getting a black boar(But wish it was green for variety but not available in boar) TRY TO KEEP UP BOSS respectfully 🤪
Oooooooooh

If you're talking about the AP Shave brushes they are a great value, and the handles are also very good, even though the selection is limited. But a lot of synthetics are using similar if not the same knot, so if you've got some already in handles you like, it doesn't make a lot of sense. But for a first synth, APShave is were I'd send anyone who asks.

@Brew you really can't go wrong with any choice, for what they cost I'd steer you to the SynBad and either the Tuxedo or SilkSmoke, that gives you a good sense of the options. They are so reasonable that just trying both in your preferred size is the way to go.

I will say that vs a badger I find synths of the same diameter feel relatively smaller for some reason. So don't fear going bigger with one.
I concur, SynBad is freaking awesome!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

@Brew , prepare to be amazed. That Stirling Christmas Eve is awesome! I've used it a few times already, and I just got it a week or two ago (I think). Heck, I might not need another soap until after Xmas.

I decided to go with a Stirling brush for the following reasons, in no particular order: I like the Stirling boar. Stirling is a TSC vendor. Some well-respected thumbs up here.
The Sterling Tuxedo is my favorite of all the synthetics that I've tried. The funny thing is that the guy I got it from didn't like it because of its springiness. Springiness doesn't bother me as my second favorite synthetic is the Omega S-brush, which I've seen described as a 'springy broom from hell'. Using these without lather fling just seemed intuitive to me and they've never cased me grief.

Best of luck with your new brush, Larry. I have a Muhle STF too, but don't have the issue you have described. I do vaguely remember making some adjustments in technique when I started using it, but cannot specifically recall what they may have been. I am a believer in modern synths - they are easy to use and seemingly last for years.

Back