The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Synth Brushes, Please Help.

Brew

Shave Enthusiast
I only have one. It's a Muhle, "silvertip fibre," it says on bottom. The brush is easy enough to use, in that it bowl lathers just fine and dries in nothing flat, but when put to my face, the fibres "snap to," flinging small flecks of lather as they turn over. The brush is a couple of years old now and gets little use because. Do newer synth brushes' fibers snap-to like this, or was this just a Muhle-thing?

Will you please recommend a newer synthetic brush for me to try? FYI, I like all kinds of boar brushes, if that helps/matters. Thanks in advance.

Larry, I assume (I know, I shouldn't) You're "snap too" is referring to a strong backbone that snaps back t place quickly. If that's the case my softest and least likely to have that attribute is my Razorock BC Plissoft Silvertip and Techichi Tech Hive but even these have that to a slight degree......................I know, I'm no help. Hopefully other will chime in including @beginish as he is adamant about his Synthetic Simpson I believe (I forget which) but unsure of what he prefers about it.

That was my previous experience with synths as well, Larry. Then I picked up a Simpsons Chubby 2 on the BST here and it's a different beast; soft but firm and I "break" the knot on my chin point to "scrubby lather" before paintbrushing. I also have a Yaqi Sadara which is pure joy to use and something I would strongly recommend. Lather flingers are almost as bad as lather hogs in my book.

My favorite, and I exclusively use synthetic brushes, is the AP Shave Co SynBad (synthetic badger). .I have it in 30 mm and 26 mm. Super soft (one guy called it a Wall of Softness). I use these two for probably 95% of my shaves. The other brushes I like are the Razorock BC Silvertip @Dave in KY mentioned and a Yaqi Tuxedo. Hope that helps!
Eric

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dave is right in the regard that all synthetics are going to have a certain degree of backbone. I have an Asylum Brush Works synthetic that has more backbone of any brush I have ever used...natural, synthetic, or otherwise. It doesn't get the love that it should because of that. I have some synthetics that Eric @Smattayu has placed into some brushes for me and while they have a presence of backbone...they tend to be a tad more..."floppy"...for the lack of a better way of saying it. These are pretty awesome for either bowl or face lathering. I think he uses the AP Shave Co. knots. I have a RazorRock synthetic and it is pretty good. Similar to the AP Shave Company. But to be honest...my favorite synthetic are the Stirling synthetics. It might be a little stiffer than you like...but I wouldn't call it stiff at all. Maybe Rod with Stirling @Joe Hackett can explain his brushes the next time he stops by! Not sure if any of this really helps.

I agree, you're going to find some springy backbone in all synths to some degree. There are some out there that have less.

I had a WCS Tortoiseshell Black Synthetic I got last Christmas that was about as floppy as they come. Maybe I had a defective brush, but I swear this thing needed viagara just to reach the level of floppy. I threw it away, rather than plaguing anyone else's den with it.

Might be worth inquiring with them... Perhaps it is a low backbone brush?

Good luck!
4e84f321093f883f9fd0a6c135e9d59f.jpg

My first brush was a Muhle Synth that I put up with for a long time because I didn't know better. I know all about the Fling you are talking about, I would call it backbone since goes from flat to upright with no in-between. I'd call it spring like.

My 2nd was an AP Shave Co Silk Smoke, and from the first use the experience was SOOOOO much better. Synths do fling soap more easily but the new breed is nothing like the Muhle type. I've got Silk Smoke and SynBad brushes and both are good. The SanBad feel like the Muhle should feel and the Silk Smoke feels more plush and almost sponge like (in a good way)

Hope that helps.

Stink, now I'm checking out their brushes and they look like a great value...... I need NO more brushes....

If you're talking about the AP Shave brushes they are a great value, and the handles are also very good, even though the selection is limited. But a lot of synthetics are using similar if not the same knot, so if you've got some already in handles you like, it doesn't make a lot of sense. But for a first synth, APShave is were I'd send anyone who asks.

@Brew you really can't go wrong with any choice, for what they cost I'd steer you to the SynBad and either the Tuxedo or SilkSmoke, that gives you a good sense of the options. They are so reasonable that just trying both in your preferred size is the way to go.

I will say that vs a badger I find synths of the same diameter feel relatively smaller for some reason. So don't fear going bigger with one.

Just as a general rule, everyone should own at least one Stirling synthetic brush
I couldn’t agree more. Everyone I meet that has never used a brush before gets one of these. I gave one to my dad (after giving him a couple very nice badger brushes, one of which he left in a hotel) and his life changed for the better. I can’t say there’s no spring in its step but you shouldn’t be painting the bathroom while lathering.
Other than Stirling I say let’s asks @Techichi what he thinks since he’s been buying and selling synths and might know more about what’s out there these days.

Synthetics have come a long way. You almost can’t go wrong these days. I really like the tuxedo, cashmere, and Timberwolf knots. They are all nice and soft feeling... better than badger actually. And have the perfect amount of splay/backbone.

A lot of makers use these knots or ones similar. I have a bunch from Oz Shaving Co, and that is what I use most of the time, when I’m not using badger. Check out brushes from Stirling, Maggards, and WCS. There are many that you can get for under $20. I just got this one from Maggards for $9 on their Black Friday sale (they still have some left too.) This is the Timberwolf knot.

341F1E45-125B-4238-BB5E-3C696F7FB7F5.jpeg

These fibers are all stiffer than the natural fibers, and the brush makers compensate through combos of density and loft. For me (like @woodpusher), the Simpson Chubby 2 synth is the finest brush I have used. That said, I get outstanding performance from the high-lofted, low density Plisson synth made for L’Occitane. If you’re concerned about the stiff, lather flinging synths, go with one of the low density, inexpensive versions from Razorock or Stirling.

I decided to go with a Stirling brush for the following reasons, in no particular order: I like the Stirling boar. Stirling is a TSC vendor. Some well-respected thumbs up here.

Thanks TSC, I appreciate your help.
Black or green. Just curious.

Back