The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Suggest a starter set?

Spider said:
I want to get into this as well, but never found the time to start. I did start collecting some stones. I have a Norton 4/8 and a bunch of barber hones. I have a set of films, but never got the piece of marble for it. I went to Lowes once, but didn't know what I was looking for. Eventually I'll get into this, but it's been forever since I've even used a straight.

KJ,
Any flat smooth piece of ceramic or marble tile will work. And you just get a size that you want or have them cut a large piece into small ones as Eric mentioned.

Great info guys, thanks!

I’ve also avoided honing to this point. The Feather system has a tight grip on me though, like Chad. It’s just so easy and smooth! Definitely hard to make a comparison between that and my beater vintage SR.

Sounds way too complicated for me. Unlike Chris, I prefer my beater vintage SR to the Feather SS, but I don't want to have to do any honing at all.

For now I am content with sending off my razors to be honed by people who have already learned how to do it properly. I'm in the mode of trying to keep an edge keen for as long as possible between honings by improving my stropping and occasional refreshing on balsa with CrOx.

Good luck to you if you step into this particular rabbit hole.

I am currently using lapping film as an entry into honing. Nothing wrong with stones, but this was a bit more budget friendly for me. As a bonus, I can get consistent results.

Items needed:

4x12” marble tile (2 pack - $8 @ HD)
Lapping Film ($18 on ebay)
Loupe ($15 on Amazon)
1/4” Balsa wood (3"x36"x1.4" - $5 @ Hobby Lobby)
.3u Chromium Oxide / .1u Iron Oxide (I had bought this with my poorman’s strop)
Leather strop
spray bottle of water ($1)

Here is the process I follow:

My progression:
600 grit WD sandpaper (if needed for chips)
1000 grit WD sandpaper (bevel set)
Bevel set with the burr method
Lapping film- 9u, 5u, 3u & 1u (40-60 laps on each film)
Pasted balsa- .3u & .1u (Chromium/Iron Oxide)

Coming Soon-
Pasted balsa- .5u, .25u, .1u (diamond paste to replace the Oxide strops)
50 laps on each

Maintenance:
50 laps .1u balsa after shaving. 12 laps on leather. Then 20 on leather before shaving again.

I actually recently bought the exact same tile at HD. I just have to procure some film at this point.

Lapping film and balsa are great ways to keep the blades in tip top shape. When I first started I was able to get decent results with film but I longed for the feel and durability of a real stone. Since getting the right film (or getting actual FILM rather than paper) is important, if anyone finds a reliable place to get the proper film it would be nice to have a link here.

Not sure where to get the film, but the quality of it does make a difference. I haven't used it since very early on though.

For a not very expensive stone that will probably be the last stone you ever buy, the Kuromaku ceramic stones are very hard to beat. They are the Shapton Pro stones, but branded for overseas sales and half the price. A 1K stone can be had with a nice storage case for under $40. I actually use the 2K as my bevel setter because they are so efficient.

I've done the lapping film, Naniwa water stones, cheap water stones, slates.... The Kuromaku far far surpasses them all. I've honed my own as well as for others and haven't even started to wear them. I don't finish on them as I have some Jnats and a coti for finishers, but the 2K, 5K, and 8K I can vouch for. If you want actual "stones" at a reasonable price, I can't recommend them enough.

Lapping film and balsa are great ways to keep the blades in tip top shape. When I first started I was able to get decent results with film but I longed for the feel and durability of a real stone. Since getting the right film (or getting actual FILM rather than paper) is important, if anyone finds a reliable place to get the proper film it would be nice to have a link here.

Back