The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Strop Dragging My Journal Around...

Injector - yes!

Locked in a room - yeh, we've got to hear the rest of the story on that one.

Sometimes the rushed shaves are the better ones...though the story afterward is what sounds more interesting!

The doorknob was a real bonehead situation! I think I would have dealt with it in a way more calm and logical manner if the circumstances were different...but I was already pushing it time wise by shaving that morning. So when I went to open the door and found it wouldn't...I was already a tiny bit behind schedule. I could have caught the train I was taking to my brother's...but only just.

So it was a bit of a panic...especially as I was in my room, where I do not have any tools! The doorknob had been loose for some time...and it turned out that it had loosened to the point where the mechanism wasn't coming into contact with the bolt...so, ironically, trying to take it apart with my fingers was the exact opposite thing to do...I should have been tightening the screws instead. If I hadn't been pressed for time, I also would have assessed the situation and taken the actual knob off before doing anything...but as it was, I was trying to undo the screws (with my fingers) while the knob was still on...which created an impasse situation at a certain point.

Long story short, after briefly imagining trying to pop the hinges off without a hammer...I found the release under the knob and got it off so I could take the whole mechanism apart...and then manually pull the bolt. A relaxed, unrushed person would have figured out how to dismantle it immediately...but I was not that person. ?

So, I delayed our timing getting out of the city...which wasn't really that big a deal...but an annoying way to start a "relaxing" weekend away.

With that horrible start to my long weekend out of the way, I had an amazing and fun time with my family camping. I live in a neighbourhood that is very close to the area where eery year on Labour Day weekend, Toronto holds an annual Air Show. It has been the bane of my existence for 15 or so years...the last long weekend of the summer marred by feeling like I'm living in a war zone. Any break from that is worth 20 minutes of stress thinking you won't be able to get out of your room except via the 3rd floor window.... ?

Yes...a far more pleasant noise...

Shave #223

Razor - Premier "Masterpiece"
Brush - vulfix badger
Soap - Henri et Victoria Chestnut L'Orange
After - Stirling Barbershop balm

Well, for the fun of it, I decided to take this razor and give it a few light laps on the 12K Naniwa and then a couple gentle Tomo slurry laps on the JNAT. (The tomo being the upside to a piece of my JNAT coming off...)

After a good stropping, the Premier was in great shape!

This was a very nice shave...but with this recent foray into safety razors, I am aware that a few of the tough stubble areas on my face (particularly those pesky, wirey blonde ones on the edge of my upper lip) need a really sharp blade to get perfectly BBS...and that is not always in my wheelhouse as a honer. Yet.

But despite that, this was a nice shave, and with a bit of the Stirling Barbershop balm afterwards, I felt like a million bucks. Can't complain!

Onward and shaveward...

Nice looking razor. And definitely looks like a nice spot you're in. Enjoy the outdoors!

Back