The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Sports Report

Scuttlesoap

TSC Yoda
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
Just thought I start a post for us to share sports stories and little fun interest pieces. While I don’t follow my teams and sports as intensely when I was a young man or when my kids were younger - I still very much enjoy the reprieve sports give us from the day to day grind. Personally - my sports in rank are: Hockey, Baseball, Football, and Olympic-types (swimming, curling). I do watch the occasional Box Lacrosse games. The teams I follow are: Philadelphia Flyers, Toronto Maple Leafs, Philadelphia Phillies, New York Yankees (because my youngest son loves them - yes I failed in that area), Penn State, US Military Academy, Pittsburgh Steelers……

While hockey is my favorite sport - I didn’t get a streaming package this year (I don’t have cable so I usually get streaming for hockey and baseball). Hockey decided to do some kind of sordid deal with ESPN - which even when I spoke to the customer service reps - neither she nor I could determine whether or not I would be able to watch the teams I wanted)

I do get the baseball package - IMO it’s the best sports streaming service out there - they do put forward their A game. I am also looking forward to going to a few local farm team games. My local team got dropped from their MLB association (for cost purposes) - it’s a bummer because my kids and I were able to see some players that made the Majors - as well as some established players doing rehab stints. But since there is another team at the same level about 45 minutes down the road - I understand the reason. Luckily they are going to continue as a development league team.

Anyway here are a couple of sports interest stories.

Because the Evil Empire will continue to get everything (my youngest son laughs maniacally in the background)…..

I really enjoy non professional sports and also minor leagues.

NCAA football basketball and baseball
Minor league baseball
Minor league hockey

Professional:
UFC
Boxing
PGA

I used to really enjoy NFL and NBA

This is the first season for NBA that I haven't watched any games.

And for NFL it's been maybe 4 years and at least 3 seasons that I haven't watched the super bowl.

And I also haven't watched the last two Olympics and used to love the Olympics.

Since the demise of Women’s Roller Derby, I lost interest in professional sports. I was a pretty rabid Big East basketball follower in the early eighties.
I think there are still some leagues around. I was listening to TWIT TV - MacBrEau weekly and one of the commentators said she participated - I don’t know if it was a rec league or not

Oh my goodness - she’s part Canadian too! The world is going to hell in a hand basket 😂

I think there are still some leagues around. I was listening to TWIT TV - MacBrEau weekly and one of the commentators said she participated - I don’t know if it was a rec league or not
Cool.

Gone are the days of three dollar admission in the old War Memorial Coliseum, where it took a week for the lingering smells of the Ringling Bros Circus to waft away. But the show must go on.

I was exclusively a Baseball only fan for nearly 50 years. My team being the Dodgers. I lived and died with the team each season (more die than live during the 90's) and then I moved to Las Vegas in the early 2000's and then we got a hockey team in 2017. Been a hard core Golden Knights fan since the first puck drop. Now we have the Raiders....still trying to get 100% behind the team...I'm at about 85%. It helps that there's a player with the same last name as me (Crosby) on the team. I can only hope that he doesn't do something very Raider-y and get arrested or sued for bad behavior and ruin the family name.

I'm also a NASCAR fan and I also like the English Premier league (Arsenal.....go, you Gunners) and I really enjoy going to the minor league baseball and minor league hockey here in Vegas.

I was exclusively a Baseball only fan for nearly 50 years. My team being the Dodgers. I lived and died with the team each season (more die than live during the 90's) and then I moved to Las Vegas in the early 2000's and then we got a hockey team in 2017. Been a hard core Golden Knights fan since the first puck drop. Now we have the Raiders....still trying to get 100% behind the team...I'm at about 85%. It helps that there's a player with the same last name as me (Crosby) on the team. I can only hope that he doesn't do something very Raider-y and get arrested or sued for bad behavior and ruin the family name.

I'm also a NASCAR fan and I also like the English Premier league (Arsenal.....go, you Gunners) and I really enjoy going to the minor league baseball and minor league hockey here in Vegas.
How did I forget about the Gunners! We have that in common!

So to start off - a little bit of sport history for 09 April-

(1) 1913: The MIGHTY PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES smashed the Brooklyn Superbas 1-0, in the first professional baseball game at Ebbets Field (not counting exhibition games). The Superbas were so humiliated by the loss that they changed their name to the Dodgers (I’m not sure if it was because they just realized that Superbas was a stupid name for a sports team or if it was because they lost to the Phillies, coin toss).

(2) 1932: The MAGNFICENTLY TERRIFIC TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS swept the New York Rangers for their first Stanley Cup championship. The Rangers however did not change their name and are still one of the most hated teams in hockey by anyone who considers themselves a true fan of the sport. They were briefly replaced as the most hated team in sports by the Islanders (also from New York) in 1980 because of their defeat of the most beloved Philadelphia Flyers in the Stanley Cup Finals. True Story.

- Yesterday

(1) The Philadelphia Phillies won their season debut against the Oakland A’s 9-4. The Philadelphia Phillies have changed their past strategy of having a balanced roster because their stupid bullpen seems to be hellbent on setting records for blown saves (34 last year), by acquiring every hitter over the offseason. The new strategy is to just score as many run as possible and just hope to heck their mediocre defense can hold on for the win. They are 1-0 now - so the strategy must be working.

(2) My youngest son’s favorite team, the New York Yankees, won their season debut against the Boston Red Sox, 6-5. This proves two things: (1) no amount of good parenting can prevent a child from making bad decisions on what sports team for which to root, and (2) given most baseball fans’ ambivalence to the the victory by the formerly most Hated Evil Empire, it proves that the Red Sox have collectively said “Hold My Beer - we can make people hate us more.” This is true, of course, unless you are the Houston Astros who are still reeling from MLB decision to allow electronic signal calling - which prevents them from stealing signs and cheating. Not to be discouraged - they’ll probably go back to better, proven ways to cheat where infractions go unpunished - Steroids.

Have a great sports day!

Last edited:
I know we have sports and stuff going on here because the oldest is going to a Giants game later today. We were into them when they were on their roll of winning the World Series every other year. Now all I can tell you is the stadium has a beautiful view of the bay so you have a nice time regardless of how the game is going and they have really good nachos on the club level.

Good food fare is one of the best reasons to go to a game!

I hope your daughter has a great time at the game today!

I know we have sports and stuff going on here because the oldest is going to a Giants game later today. We were into them when they were on their roll of winning the World Series every other year. Now all I can tell you is the stadium has a beautiful view of the bay so you have a nice time regardless of how the game is going and they have really good nachos on the club level.
Always bring a windbreaker.

Back