The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Spider’s Motorcycle Adventures

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
So, I’ve had quite an adventure trying to ride my motorcycle again. I’ve been unable to ride for a month and a half. I had my kids for two weeks, then I had surgery on my hand, then once I recovered enough, I got my kids for another two weeks. So my bike has been neglected and sad.

About a week ago, I needed to mow the lawn, so I had to pull the bike out to get my mower out. I started the bike up and pulled it out in the driveway to park while I mowed. Four hours later, I finished mowing and went to pick my bike away, and it wouldn’t start. The battery was completely dead. Some idiot left the key in the bike, in the on position....

Well, I wasn’t reall sure how to jump a motorcycle battery, so YouTube to the rescue. That evening after a little charging I was able to start it up. I didn’t know how long it would take to charge, so I left it running for about 10 minutes. I was just going to run it up the road and back real quick, but made a mistake and put it in first, with the kickstand still down and it stalled. I could not restart it. So it hadn’t charged enough to start on its own yet. I didn’t want to go through all of that again, because my kids were still home and I knew I wasn’t going to be able to get it out on the road to properly recharge it.

So, it sat, fully drained for almost a week. Until today. After work, I immediately got to work again trying to jump start it off m car battery. This time, for some reason, I wasn’t having any luck getting it started.

Sometime while trying, I knocked the battery cover off my bike, and the bolt that holds it on went flying, but I didn’t see where it went, and it was in the grass somewhere. Geez, this just keeps getting worse! So I went into the house to get a strong magnet that I use for magnet fishing, and proceeded to drag it though the grass, for about 10 minutes until I finally found it.

I attempted to start the bike again, with no luck. I had read that motorcycle batteries don’t like being discharged for long and that can wreck them, so I thought it was toast. I decided to take the battery out, and I’d just take it to the cycle shop tomorrow and have them check it out, and if dead, I’d just buy a new one. Well, as I started to disconnect the negative terminal to the battery, I heard some clicking. This was more than I heard while trying to jump it, so I decided to hook it back up and try to jump it one more time..... and it worked! Finally got it started.

I drove it up the driveway to my house, and left it running while I got my jacket, helmet, and gloves on. I went outside to get ready to ride, and I don’t remember exactly what happened, but I think I let the clutch out too fast as I was trying to turn around and it stalled.... you’ve got to be freaking kidding me!!!

Luckily, I when i hit the starter, it started right up. Finally, a good sign! So I took it out for a nice evening ride through the country and did 90 miles round trip. It felt really good to get back on the road, and that was my longest ride to date. (I’m still a beginner rider). When I got it back home, I turned it off, and attempted to restart it, and it started right up, so I think the riding did it’s job of recharging my battery. I’ll find out for sure when I go to start it tomorrow.

It was a beautiful evening, slightly cool and overcast. This was my view for a good portion of the ride:

And no, I wasn’t riding down that dirt road, I just pulled off to take the pic.

Also, while going through one of the small towns I came across this:

With so many Daves on the site, I figured someone would like it!

Now, I’m back home, relaxing with a glass of whiskey. Need to go to bed soon. I need to get to work extra early tomorrow!

Always good to get the wind in your face, congrats on getting a ride in! Glad you finally got it running. If you’ve got a Harbor Freight around there you can pick up a battery charger for about $20.

Sorry for the hassles but glad you caught some wind finally. That kinda therapy is priceless for sure. Better then a charger is a battery tender. The full size or even the Battery Tender Jr. I have this one but used the Jr for my bike till I let it go with the bike. I use the full size for my trolling motor battery now
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Maintain-Damaging/dp/B00068XCQU/ref=pd_cp_263_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=fcaa6d12-8b2b-4ad7-b277-864b2da79f6e&pf_rd_r=VD027R65CRK935JRQKC2&pd_rd_wg=n5dC1&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=EdDG5&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=54d08d59-9492-11e8-97d0-034648083ec9&pd_rd_i=B00068XCQU&psc=1&refRID=VD027R65CRK935JRQKC2

Moral of the story...If you love to do something...persevere when all goes wrong!

And what is this...a country market where you can purchase Daves? I posted this in the bingo thread but I think it is appropriate now:

That's right gentlemen, come on down to Dave's for our 4 day sale and some of the best shredded cheese around!

2nd the batter tender. Will be useful through the winter months as well.

Thanks for the tips on the Battery Tender. I don't have a real garage, and where I park my bike has no power, so I don't think it's something I can keep plugged in 24/7, but it will be good to use to recharge as needed. Think I'll look into getting the Jr. for now.

Ok, now that my bike is back up and running, moving forward this will be a thread about my adventures.

First of all my bike:

A 2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic 650. It had 13,438 miles on it when I bought is this past March.

And of course I have a Spider-Man helmet! (A Spider-Man jacket is next on my list).

Jeeze KJ.... You sound like me trying to get something done in the shop. Every time I get something almost ready or almost done, something else goes wrong.

Nice looking ride though, and glad you finally got to make it down the road.

So, today was another nice day, a little warmer than yesterday, but still nice. It was 85 when I left and 75 when I got back home.

I had had such a great ride yesterday, that I was itching to get back out there today. So after work I got ready and headed down to Warsaw, MO, which is about 50 miles away. I stopped at a small park and sat on the bank of the Lake of the Ozarks.

On the way back home, I drove through the town of Tightwad, MO.

And of course, they have a bank!

And I returned home to this:

All in all it was a great ride. I put about 130 miles on my bike today.

I’m getting used to longer rides, and sort of figuring out how to sit comfortably. And I’m super excited to get out on the smaller highways and county roads and explore some of the small towns in my area.

Also going on these longer rides has definitely taught me something about the capabilities of my bike and got me more comfortable with cornering at faster speeds. I definitely have more confidence on my bike now.

Dude...that is a sweet bike!
Thanks. It’s my first bike, and I love it. Always wanted a motorcycle, and it had to be a cruiser. This bike is just me! I’m just sad I waited so long to get one!

Every time I get something almost ready or almost done, something else goes wrong.

Nice looking ride though, and glad you finally got to make it down the road.
Yeah, it definitely felt that way, but in my case it was all self induced through carelessness. Oh well, it all worked out in the end and I learned a few things in the process. So, it was really, a valuable experience!

And Thanks!

Some really awesome pics KJ! Really enjoying your rides!
Thanks, my goal is to take at least a couple pics when I go out exploring. Hoping to share some of the Missouri countryside with y’all as I explore it myself.

Those Vstars are the real deal. Great lines, low center of gravity and great handling/performance.

Oh the sorrow of not being able to ride, I feel your pain.

It it has been two years since I sold my last bike and I missed the therapeutic rides, especially on a summer evening.

My brides prescription, a new ride.

Oh the sorrow of not being able to ride, I feel your pain.

It it has been two years since I sold my last bike and I missed the therapeutic rides, especially on a summer evening.

My brides prescription, a new ride.
Nice Drifter !!! 800 or 1500 ?

You know what I love most about riding my motorcycle out on the open road? It's not the freedom, the speed, the thrill, the acceleration, the adventure, the performance, the maneuverability, the gas savings, the tranquility, the "me time", the wind in my face, or the heightened senses. I mean, sure it's all that and more, but what I love the most...... is the smells.

On a bike, you smell everything! Because your senses are already heightened, so is your sense of smell. On top of that, you have a large volume of air being forced, more or less, directly at you. All this adds up to smells being intensified. You take the bad with the good, because it's all an experience. And it is so much different than what you smell from a car, even with the windows down. When you ride a bike you discover smells from the open road that you never realized were there before.

One of my favorite smells is when I'm riding next to a forest or a full field of crops and I just smell "green". You know, that delicious green smell that every good Fougère is trying to be. The only downside to that smell, it that it seems to be there and then gone in an instant. Rarely do I smell it for any noticeable distance. Maybe I'm just smelling it at a transition period and then my nose gets used to or goes "blind" to it. Not sure, but it is amazing. Also when you can smell flowers, that is really great and peaceful. Most of them trigger some sort of scent memory for me, that while good or bad, takes me somewhere.

But you know even the bad smells aren't so bad. Arguably one of the worst smells you can get from the road is a half decayed animal carcass. But every time I smell that, it takes me back to my deployment in Africa (2009). In our down time there, some of us volunteered at a Cheetah Refuge. And on the road to the refuge, there were always dead animals. So as nasty as the smell is, every time I smell it, I'm taken back to Africa and it triggers some good memory I have of that place.

Really, most of the time, there is nothing to smell, except the inside of my helmet, lol. But when something does smell, it's like a rush and a flood to the senses and emotions.

I have to agree. I was thinking "smells" when you were going through you list. There was one dip in the road on my way home from work in Oregon were I'd get just one whiff of blackberry bushes. Good stuff.

Back