The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Soap Review: Through The Fire Fine Craft, Sue Moore Grapefruit

woodpusher

TSC’s International Man of Meh
Through The Fire Fine Craft, Sue Moore Grapefruit, 5 oz

Ingredients:
Potassium Stearate
Potassium Tallowate
Potassium Cocoate
Water
Glycerin
Citrus Paradisi (Pink Grapefruit)
Essential Oils

I purchased this soap almost 5 years ago (fall of 2015) and it has remained stored in the
basement in my "soap briefcase" until now. Well, minus one or two quick removals for sniff
and pics :p and now it finally has its day in the sun as its turn in my 3017 consumption
has arrived!

Even after 5 years of sitting locked away with the likes or Arko and Tabac (I love both BTW!),
it still retains a nice a crisp grapefruit scent, although probably not as string as when it
first arrived.

Texture-wise, it appears to have been injected into the container via either a spaghetti maker
or a potato ricer. It was originally a soft croap, but water evaporation has hardened it to
the point where I can lightly tap it without picking up product, but it is still remains malleable.

I am looking forward to my first shave with this tomorrow, especially after 3017ing my tin of
Shaving Yeti, Mamacita on the Rocks. :ROFLMAO:

1563717658234.png

Apparently I am not very good at math; it's approx 4 years from fall'15 to now. Good thing that I'm in a job where mistakes in calculations don't count for very much (Accounting). :ROFLMAO:

.... and what's up with a "string" scent? 🤪

I hope it works well for you since you're committed to 3017. My experience with TTFFC soap was tossing the remaining samples I had because the performance was so bad.

Four days in : a quick snapshot so far

I normally face lather and both times I have used the TTFFC Sue Moore Pink Grapefruit in this manner, I have experienced two things:
- tingles while lathering, but not enough to stop using the soap
- A solid pass-1 lather with loads in the brush, followed by dissipating weak lather a minute or so later for pass-2. Strange, but familiar *sigh*

The other two shaves have seen me bowl lather in an attempt to build enough lather for a 2-pass shave. Pass-1 is with a fresh healthy lather; pass-2 sees enough volume but still thin and weak when actually applied. Hardly any tingle this way.

I'm going to try the "Yeti method" for a few days and make a thicker, almost pasty (that PASTY, not TASTY! :p) lather and see how that works out.

In any event, this is another soap that will go on my "Not interested in getting more of this stuff" list. It looks like two dud-ish soaps in a row for me after 2 years of P.160 heaven. The sad part is, this is a full 5oz puck to work through. At least the Yeti was only 4oz. *ugh* 3017ing definitely has its highs and lows.

Yeah man, if you don’t like it, get rid of it. No sense in 3017ing an inferior soap.

Save it for the next time @The Monkey wins bingo.
giphy.gif

I’m kinda with KJ here. You are due for a good soap you don’t have to punish yourself with such soapy goodness I’m sure you hav3 in your stores.

A light version of the Marco Method this morning produced the poorest lather results so far. Tomorrow, I go full blown, sopping wet boar Marco!

Yup...I'm with the rest of the guys...get yourself a better soap. If you don't want to get rid of it...you could always dish it into silicone cupcake molds...stick it into the oven at really low heat to dry it up a bit...and then use it for bath or hand soap.

Awesome 1st-pass lather with the Method this morning, with loads of lather left in the brush for pass-2. Alas, Pass-2 went on very nicely, but in the 30-secs or so between me rinsing my brush to put it to post-shave soak and actually shaving, it went thin once again. Blah.

Going paste-like will be problematic as my injector is getting clogged with it at present. I think I will simply have to re-load between passes, which is not a bad thing as it means that I will use it faster! :p

Me throw away a soap? :ROFLMAO: You boys are funny!
Whoa there sparky.... no one said anything about throwing it away.

Pif it, sell it, or just use it in the shower. If I have a soap that doesn’t perform, I just use it in the shower. If it’s a softer soap, I just let it dry out first.

Whoa there sparky.... no one said anything about throwing it away.

Pif it, sell it, or just use it in the shower. If I have a soap that doesn’t perform, I just use it in the shower. If it’s a softer soap, I just let it dry out first.
THIS!!! I ran out of my usual soap for the shower and I stuck a shave soap that I don't use in a bag designed for making soap last a bit longer. Works great for me!

When it comes to shaving soaps (and creams), they generally fall into one of three "marriage/relationship" categories:
- Love it! ............. This is where I love every moment with my morning shave partner.
- Meh .................. Liveable with moments of joy offsetting the down one. Helps to keep the bills paid and we share some things in common.
- Die already! ... I will not give you the satisfaction of a divorce and let you keep 1/2 of what I worked so hard for. I am more stubborn than smart.

Some examples of each:
- Love it! ............. P.160 (the real stuff!), Tabac, MWF, Speick
- Meh .................. Proraso (have not yet tried their Single Blade creams), Arko
- Die already! ... Pitralon (the soap, not the AS!), Barbus, Yeti, TTFFC, modern Williams, Wilkinson Sword bowls

The experimentation continues!

- Used the stick portion of the TTFFC to apply heavily to face
- loaded the brush well from the puck

Boom! Gobs of lather and a bathtub full still on the brush after applying for pass-1
For pass-2, still loads of lather ready on the brush. Looking good, so I applied and rinsed my brush and got ready to shave only to find dissipating lather once again.

Methinks the process going forward for next week will be:
- Pass-1: shavestick to face, brush load from puck
- Pass-2: shave stick to face, residual lather in brush

Strangely enough, no face tingling this morning.

Back