The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shapton Stones

I have no issues with going 2k to 5k on the Shapton pro stones. I actually have the Kuromaku stones, but the only difference is the language and the price.
To me they are extremely efficient. I spend about half the time on those stones as I did on my Naniwa superstones. And they are efficient enough that I use the 2k as my bevel setter.
I was told by my mentor when I got them that the 1500 was actually a bit coarse and that was why he recommended the 2k over it for the bevel setter though, so it may take you a little longer in that step.

What did you finish on? Did you stop at the 8k? Or do you have a finisher? If you stopped at 8k that may be your issue. I think an 8k finish is still harsh. Doesn't have that buttery smooth feel I get from my coti, or that laser sharp feel from my j-nats.
I finished on a Naniwa 12K super stone.

I finished on a Naniwa 12K super stone.

OK. That should give you a good finish.
Is it a stock GD? Sometimes the bevel angle is off a bit making a shave feel rough also. The spine is usually too thick making too steep of an angle. If you have calipers check the spine thickness vs the blade width from the apex to the hone line. (Not the back of the spine, but where the stone makes contact.) The width should be 3.6 times the thickness to give a good bevel angle.

Back