The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shapton Stones

I don't see any pics either, but I always assume it's my work filters.

That's weird. I could see it on my phone this morning. Now I can't, and also can't see it on work computer

Very nice! I have looked at a set of chosera stones for sharpening knives but haven’t wanted to swallow that $ pill yet

Nice John!

I have 1k, 5k, 8, and 12k Shapton Pros they have been working for me so far.

I also added an Translucent Arkansas not to long ago. I use it as a finisher and for touch ups.

I'm a little late to this party, but I have the 2k, 5k, and 8k. They are fantastic stones. I'm sure you will be very pleased with them.

Very nice I have the the whole enchilada they are good stones, but after the Coti and Ark, they collect dust I need to start using them again

I tried to hone up a GD and then shave, it wasn't pretty. I was hoping that the stones would grant me magical honing skills.... it didn't!

ell it ia a pretty big jump from from 1500 ( which you can actually set the bevel on ) to 5000 them 8000 you need some middle stones in there IMHO or you will spend WAY too much time on the higher grits. Going from 1500 to 5000 is days on the 5000, again IMHO

ell it ia a pretty big jump from from 1500 ( which you can actually set the bevel on ) to 5000 them 8000 you need some middle stones in there IMHO or you will spend WAY too much time on the higher grits. Going from 1500 to 5000 is days on the 5000, again IMHO

I don't really see a middle stone. They have a 2000 and then it jumps to 5000.

I have no issues with going 2k to 5k on the Shapton pro stones. I actually have the Kuromaku stones, but the only difference is the language and the price.
To me they are extremely efficient. I spend about half the time on those stones as I did on my Naniwa superstones. And they are efficient enough that I use the 2k as my bevel setter.
I was told by my mentor when I got them that the 1500 was actually a bit coarse and that was why he recommended the 2k over it for the bevel setter though, so it may take you a little longer in that step.

What did you finish on? Did you stop at the 8k? Or do you have a finisher? If you stopped at 8k that may be your issue. I think an 8k finish is still harsh. Doesn't have that buttery smooth feel I get from my coti, or that laser sharp feel from my j-nats.

I tried to hone up a GD and then shave, it wasn't pretty. I was hoping that the stones would grant me magical honing skills.... it didn't!
Someone may correct me, but some professional honers refuse to hone Gold Dollars. Might not be the best razor to learn to hone on.

I go from the 1K to 5K with my Shaptons. As long as you spend enough time on the 5K, I don't see a problem. I'm not sure it takes that much more time than if you used a separate "mid" stone.

Back