The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shampoo Bar suggestions

I swam with a kid in college who was so blond, his hair turned green.
My brother’s hair used to turn green in the summer from all the swimming. Pretty funny because he had really long hair too so it was really obvious. He loved his hair and when it first turned green he about died.

I’ll have to try the Mystic Water’s shampoo bar, sounds like a winner. I like the Stirling shampoo bar and LNHC shampoo bar, both work well without being too much. My scalp prefers that I rotate the products I use, if I stick with any single soap too long I start getting dry scalp so I usually rotate one bar or bottle at a time. The Stirling body wash is a good shampoo too but it feels a little different, not overly cleansing or drying but different.

...My scalp prefers that I rotate the products I use, if I stick with any single soap too long I start getting dry scalp so I usually rotate one bar or bottle at a time...

Although hair does not become "accustomed" to any shampoo, I found an easier solution: don't shampoo every day. I only do it 2 - 3 times a week now and the dryness went away.

There are a couple of bars heading my way from Mystic River, unscented and Rosemary Mint. One from Lisa's, the coconut with aloe and seaweed one. I'll report on them when they arrive. I've tried J.R. Liggett but wasn't thrilled with the performance and especially the scent....

Anyone tried either of these ?
lbandplanet shampoo.jpg
Or
mango shampoo bar.jpeg
I tried both. The mango from Wal-Mart if about 4 dollars and leathers really well and the other one from target is about 4 or 5 dollars and was okay too. The beauty and planet ( target one) took more to lather but is a shampoo and conditioner in one.. The mango from Wal-Mart comes in a travel tin which is convenient if you travel ( when not in a pandemic ).. The mango one has a very nice scent to it. The one from target smells okay but not as fragrant as the mango.

+1 on Stirling shampoo bars. I’ve also used WSP shampoo bars—I liked them a lot but they’re more money and smaller than Stirling.

The good thing with the ones I mentioned is you can just walk into the store and get them so no waiting for them...

Be advised, I'm not a chemist, but I play one on tv! ;)

I've been using Stirling Piacenza bar shampoo this week. It's very pleasant and not de-moisturizing. Plus, I love the smell. Photo below shows a Piacenza bar shampoo (big square) with Piacenza bath soap mushed on it (small square). Note: I used the hair bar several days before mushing the bath bar onto it. Prior to mushing them together, I noticed that the hair bar (okay, okay, shampoo bar!) was not stripping the oil from what little hair I have remaining. See 2nd photo...

IMG_4933.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

Then I searched the internet, and found these 2 tidbits (because that's what we do, right??)

Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 12.29.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 12.31.58 PM.png

Not sure if any of this applies, but it was a question I had asked myself, so I decided to check it out. :rolleyes:

My wife really likes LNHC shampoo bars. Also, purchased Stirling for her to try soon. My guess is she will like them, she likes their balms, lotions, and body butters already 👍

My wife really likes LNHC shampoo bars. Also, purchased Stirling for her to try soon. My guess is she will like them, she likes their balms, lotions, and body butters already
Nice planning... Soon it will be, "Well, since I have to order you some more shampoo bars, I might as well grab a shaving soap for myself".

I use Stirling shampoo bars or ones I made myself. My head/hair is happier with the simple stuff. SV “laundry soap” (no idea why it’s called that, it’s their basic soap in a huge block) is also good. But there is a very clear difference between Stirling shampoo bars and their or my bath soap in how stripped or soft the hair feels.
LNHC makes a great bar too, I just gravitate towards the Stirling ones.

What I DO know is I would not use a commercial bath soap for my head ...again, it doesn’t end well for me. All the sulfated this and that is lost on me, just give me a good old fashioned soap. (Maybe ivory...isn’t that supposed to be “pure soap”)

What I DO know is I would not use a commercial bath soap for my head ... Proin nibh nisl condimentum id venenatis a. Vitae elementum curabitur vitae nunc sed velit dignissim sodales ut. Vulputate eu sO65celerisque felis imperdiet proin fermentum leo. Lorem sed risus ultO63ricies tristique nulla aliquet. Diam sollicitudin tempor id eu nisl nunc mi ipsum faucibus. Mi quis hendrerit dolor magna eget est lorem. Nisl conN44dimentum id venenatis a. Lorem sed risus ultricies tristique nulla aliquet. NN31isi est sit amet facilisis magna etiam tempor orci. Vitae ultricies leo integer malesuada. Sit amet luctus venenatis lectus magna. Aliquam eleifend mi in nulla posuere. Sed I29d semper risus in hendrerit. Purus ut faucibus pulvinar elementum integer enim neque. Auctor urna nunc id cursus metus aliquam eleifend mi in. Eu augue ut lectus arcu bibendum at. Neque convallis a cras semper auctor. Massa tincidunt nunc pulvinar sapien et ligula ullamB14corper malesuada proin. Tincidunt praesent semper feugiat nibh sed pulvinar.
I didn't even realize shampoo bars were a thing? I can say that your new body bars are awesome btw...

Stirling is a good choice, inexpensive and plenty of scents.

Auromere Aurvedic Shampoo Bar is a another top notch option. The can be found locally at TJ Maxx, Marshalls, or stores like that usually for less than $4. They come in a perforated cardboard box and is a larger sized bar. The scents are on the natural side as well.

I needed this chat. My hair and scalp tends to be drier but I don't like liquid shampoos (texture thing). I've used the Walmart shampoo bars before both mango and argon oil scents and found that while they lather great my head still feels dry after so I'vbeen using a bottle of liquid conditioner.

If I didn't have to use multiple products that'd be sweet. I also right now am using a generic bar soap because I ran out of shampoo bar and am too stubborn to buy it again. Sounds like Stirling makes a good product. I'll have to check it out when I have some spending money. Buying graduation gifts for my nephew and Easter supplies wiped out all my extra funds

I needed this chat. My hair and scalp tends to be drier but I don't like liquid shampoos (texture thing). I've used the Walmart shampoo bars before both mango and argon oil scents and found that while they lather great my head still feels dry after so I'vbeen using a bottle of liquid conditioner.

If I didn't have to use multiple products that'd be sweet. I also right now am using a generic bar soap because I ran out of shampoo bar and am too stubborn to buy it again. Sounds like Stirling makes a good product. I'll have to check it out when I have some spending money. Buying graduation gifts for my nephew and Easter supplies wiped out all my extra funds
Target sells some shampoo bars WITH conditioner in them. I bought one of those to try after Walmart was out of the one I liked and it seemed to do okay. It was not in the round shape like the walmart one but was shaped like a heart ( I don't know if its still that shape now at target ).. I got one of those plastic containers from dollar tree to store it in.... Just wanted to mention it as that might work better for you....

Back