The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shampoo Bar suggestions

mrdoug

"TSC's Shave Sales Deal Finder"
Ok, twist my arm... I'll start a new thread in the brand new General Grooming section.

As I mentioned in the Soap / Shampoo / Breath Mint of-the-day thread: I am boring. I use only Nivea 3-in-1 Max Hydration body wash.

After seeing all of the posts, I decided to try a sample I recently got, as a shower soap. Boom: Stirling Gentleman bar soap was used. It was good for a body soap, but I have dry skin and a very dry scalp. Since I won't use a separate shampoo (I keep my hair short year round), this just won't do.

Now, a lot of soaps are billed as Shampoo bars. Problem is, I don't know if their great for hydration. I don't want to feel that squeaky, no oils left feeling, most hand / body soaps will give.

Anyone have a good suggestion for a bar that's very hydrating, but offered in some good scents? Thanks.

Ok, twist my arm... I'll start a new thread in the brand new General Grooming section.

As I mentioned in the Soap / Shampoo / Breath Mint of-the-day thread: I am boring. I use only Nivea 3-in-1 Max Hydration body wash.

After seeing all of the posts, I decided to try a sample I recently got, as a shower soap. Boom: Stirling Gentleman bar soap was used. It was good for a body soap, but I have dry skin and a very dry scalp. Since I won't use a separate shampoo (I keep my hair short year round), this just won't do.

Now, a lot of soaps are billed as Shampoo bars. Problem is, I don't know if their great for hydration. I don't want to feel that squeaky, no oils left feeling, most hand / body soaps will give.

Anyone have a good suggestion for a bar that's very hydrating, but offered in some good scents? Thanks.

I use this soap for Head & Body. I’ve even Shaved with it a couple of times.
Pretty Good soap. I’ve Purchased it at TJ Max & Marshals. A little Expensive on line.
9a8db2bcc991bcfd669890e06eb0f0b5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been using these from Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations @LNHC and I have to say that they are amazing! It leaves my hair feeling really clean and not dry. I have relatively short hair and this seems to work better for me than any store bought shampoo and conditioner.

The Conditioner is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! And I likely won't be using another type of conditioner either. A little goes a very long way wit it also.

Not sure if these fit the bill or not, because I am not sure you want to use them as an all body soap...though...I don't think it would hurt.

I have used J.R. Liggett and Lush in the past. The first is good and the second incredible, but expensive. Walmart is now selling bar (disc) shampoos made in China that actually lather incredibly and smell great as well.

I’ve used Stirling’s shampoo bars for several months now and really like them. Just ordered some of Phoenix Shaving’s shampoo & conditioning bars to try.
Thanks @MarkB . Same as below, how does Stirling leave your hair... Moisturized or de-oiled and squeeky clean?

Also, please let us know what you think of Phoenix? I have my eye on a brush there... Might put in an order if I find other goodies and can't maintain restraint. Lol.

I have used J.R. Liggett and Lush in the past. The first is good and the second incredible, but expensive. Walmart is now selling bar (disc) shampoos made in China that actually lather incredibly and smell great as well.

Awesome, thanks @Bogeyman ! I will check them out. Since Walmarts are everywhere, I'll probably give theirs a try soon. It's an easy attainable impulse buy, lol.

Question for you: Do any / all leave your hair feeling "squeeky clean" or do they add moisturizing. I see a LOT of talk about shampoo bars really cleaning the hair, which I presume means stripping oil. Great for those prone to greasy hair, but bad for those of us with dry hair and scalp.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and reviews.

Thanks @MarkB . Same as below, how does Stirling leave your hair... Moisturized or de-oiled and squeeky clean?

Also, please let us know what you think of Phoenix? I have my eye on a brush there... Might put in an order if I find other goodies and can't maintain restraint. Lol.
I guess from my experience it would be the latter; de-oiled and squeaky clean. I'll let you know about the Phoenix bars. They're labeled as "Conditioning Shampoo pucks" so I'm very curious how they perform.

I like the Sterling shampoo bars better than the Phoenix ones, personally. The one Phoenix bar that I tried became mushy a lot faster than the rest.

Another brand that I've used and like is Chagrin Valley Soaps and Salves. And there's a brand available at our Whole Foods called Sunleaf Naturals that performs well. It's from Minnesota, but I don't know if they have national distribution or not.

For the most part, I've found that just about all the bars I've tried have similar performance. These days I mostly look at scent and price to make my choice.

Having used the Phoenix Shaving shampoo bar for several days now I find I like it better than the Stirling. The Phoenix bars are more conditioning and my hair feels more moisturized.

I also got a tube of their antiperspirant / deodorant which I like as well.

I have gotten great success with Chagrin Valley shampoo bars. They have a ton of an assortment specifically designed for your specific needs and they do sell sample bars of each which are large enough to last a month and so you can really feel the effect. I am slowly working through my second order of samples (8 bars), with about three more on my wish list, but I have found some that I will probably order a large bar of sometime after I sample my next batch.

It needs to be. The chlorine binds to your hair and after awhile, it becomes a straw-textures mess. I use a specific chlorine removing shampoo after swimming.

For shampoo bars, I’m a big fan of Mystic Water, Tea Tree and Blue Gum in particular.
So you're saying that swimming in a chlorinated pool will thicken up my ultra-fine hair? :unsure:

Back