The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Seaforth reboot

I received my Seaforth order from WCS yesterday. A full 4 days after receiving my Seaforth order direct from Spearhead. Both ordered minutes apart.

Anyway, I initially used the Heather soap, but did not have the aftershave to pair with it. It is pretty much a straight up fougere scent. Last night, Dave (barber) had asked me if it was similar to English Fern. It's definitely a similar scent, but it's not as sharp as EF. It's a slightly warmer fougere with rounded off edges. For that reason, this is a fougere that I finally enjoy. Most fougeres in the past that I have smelled are too sharp and crisp for my nose. Of all the scent notes that are in it, I would say that Lavender is the dominant one. Which usually for me is not good, but it still works. I have not used the AS yet, to compare the scent.

Now, this morning I used the Spiced soap and AS combo. A lot of people have been asking if it is an Old Spice-type scent. It is not. The initial note you smell is the mandarin, but it is not bright and crisp, it is a warmer mandarin, which I like. Then you start to get the cinnamon spicey notes. There is a warmness that wraps it all together, which I think is from the vanilla, but I don't smell vanilla per se. Now, when I followed up with the AS, the scent profile was slightly different. The mandarin is still there, but the spice is less pronounced, and the vanilla takes a stand here. Hours later, the vanilla is the dominant note on my skin.

One note about scent strength. Off the tub, both of these are strong. Probably a 4 out of 5. Strong, but not overpowering. And one thing that is great about these scents, is that during lathering, they stay nearly as strong. Some soaps can drop off significantly while lathering, but these do not, which is a pleasure. And after one use, and only a few hours into the day, I'm really enjoying the longevity of the aftershave.

On the quality of the soap. It is great. Produces a nice thick lather, it's easy and quick to get the desired lather. And hold a bunch of water. The one ding I give it, is in a lack of slickness. It does it's job well, but isn't as slick as I prefer. Aside from that, it is stellar.

The aftershave isn't alcohol based, so it doesn't have that familiar bracing sting that some of us enjoy. @Fightingillini22 said "the post shave "toner" is more of a balm and is alcohol free". I would not say it is a balm at all, as it is still a liquid. It falls into what is commonly called a post shave milk. It does have a nice face feel that is very moisturizing. Also, I do not believe it is completely alcohol free. The first ingredient is Witch Hazel, and WH is 14% alcohol. So, while the alcohol percentage is extremely low, it is not free of it. (as an example, if it is made with 50% WH, then the overall alcohol level would be 7%.)
Brilliant review KJ! This is better than the review I would have written, if I had the motivation and time to write one this week! 😂
After a second shave, I would have to agree on the lacking slickness. I shaved with Williams Tonsorial this morning after just using Seaforth Heather yesterday and you can definitely tell the slickness is no comparison. You’re right on the Aftershave “milk” it definitely has a slight tingle to it, I thought it must have a tiny amount of alcohol in it. I also love the scent of the Heather, it’s a very rounded and long lasting scent. I’d like to try the Spice, but I’m afraid of a reaction, maybe I’ll pass for now just to be safe....

Great Job!!

Lol. Now you sound like my kids.

Time to move my comment to the Dad Jokes forum? [emoji6]
I know the feeling my son still tells me that and he is 34 yrs old LOL and just fyi i call them flavors as if the olfactory nerve is working correctly it sends a signal and you can taste the fragrance. LOL. Bon Apetit

Thanks for the review, KJ. Like many of you, I have the toner for both on the way (W. Coast S shipping is taking a long time on this order) and received the Heather soap direct from Spearhead a couple of days ago. I didn't order the spice scented soap because I recently picked up the PAA version of the spice scent they call Diver Down. Has anyone smelled both versions and offer a comparison?

Thanks for the review, KJ. Like many of you, I have the toner for both on the way (W. Coast S shipping is taking a long time on this order) and received the Heather soap direct from Spearhead a couple of days ago. I didn't order the spice scented soap because I recently picked up the PAA version of the spice scent they call Diver Down. Has anyone smelled both versions and offer a comparison?
I have the Diver Down soap/splash as well and was wondering the same thing.

Well..... some of you have Seaforth, and done have Diver Down, but nobody has both...... sounds like those who are curious should do a sample swap, and report your findings!
Great Idea, KJ. I'm happy to send anyone with a tub of the Spice a sample of Diver Down to compare and would love to give their sample of Spice a try.

Just saw that Spearhead is going to be introducing "Sea Spice Lime" in both the soap and toner later in Q2... :love:

sea_spice_lime_3_1296x.jpg

Back