The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Seaforth reboot

Is it out yet???? What's the status?

What's the opinion of the company making it? Good soaps? Never tried Spearhead.

Comes out October 1st across a plethora of online retailers. I haven't tried their Experimental line but have read good things across the various wet shaving forums / social media.

@Somnos looks like Top of the Chain is indeed going to carry it!

Saw some posts on Instagram and they indicated the post shave "toner" is more of a balm and is alcohol free. Comes in a milk glass bottle too which I think is super cool. Priced at $21.99 for the soap and $13.99 for the toner. A little higher than I'd had hoped on the soap but not enough to deter a purchase for me I don't think.
I will email my guy and ask him. I just put in my order for Leviathan...damn!!! Thanks @Fightingillini22

Heather soap is already sold out. I hate when that happens. It was in my cart and when I went to check out it came back saying it was sold out. I've got the other 3 coming though. And hopefully, this will be restocked.

sea.png

Only the Heather? Figured you'd be in for Both, for sure!
I thought about it, but the spice scents, like Old Spice have been giving me reactions... and not good ones. So, I decided to pass and beg for a sample from one of my brethren, before I spend another $40...

I just went for the Spiced soap from Maggard. I'll pick up the Heather next month if it's available. I'm buying a brush this month so my shaving budget it kind of tight. But I've been looking forward to getting the Simpson Milk Churn for a while, and I'm going to pull the trigger on the 16th.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

i just saw a review on another place about the spiced and i copied it so you guys could see it...

this is what someone said about it.....
SOTD I was given a sample of Seaforth Spiced as long as I promised I wouldn't talk about the scent until release 😂 Thank you Dennis but man it was tough to not say —- haha. To me this is a medium scent strength spice-ish, vanilla-ish, mandarin-ish with a dash of cinnamon, clove and florals. It's one of those scents where not 1 particular note dominates. It is so well balanced and well rounded. What a pleasure. The base is almost impossible to kill with water as I tried today and it took a LOT of water before losing structure and dripping off the brush. Post shave is good as well, I don't have the toner yet but from the soap itself I'm sitting here and can still smell the scent with minimal tightness on the face. It is a crowd pleasing scent and definitely worth picking up. I think it's super cool how Spearhead reimagined a classic scent and made it relevant in 2020. Well done Dennis!

i just saw a review on another place about the spiced and i copied it so you guys could see it...

this is what someone said about it.....
SOTD I was given a sample of Seaforth Spiced as long as I promised I wouldn't talk about the scent until release 😂 Thank you Dennis but man it was tough to not say —- haha. To me this is a medium scent strength spice-ish, vanilla-ish, mandarin-ish with a dash of cinnamon, clove and florals. It's one of those scents where not 1 particular note dominates. It is so well balanced and well rounded. What a pleasure. The base is almost impossible to kill with water as I tried today and it took a LOT of water before losing structure and dripping off the brush. Post shave is good as well, I don't have the toner yet but from the soap itself I'm sitting here and can still smell the scent with minimal tightness on the face. It is a crowd pleasing scent and definitely worth picking up. I think it's super cool how Spearhead reimagined a classic scent and made it relevant in 2020. Well done Dennis!
Man, now I almost want to spice lol. Maybe next month!

First shave this morning with the new Seaforth Spiced and all I can say is WOW! Performance of the soap is absolutely top tier in my book; easy to load, takes a ton of water, and gives an effortlessly smooth shave with a great yogurty lather. I also love the aftershave toner. It definitely falls into a balm category as opposed to a splash, but I find this perfect as the Spiced scent is one I find more appealing in the colder months and a moisturizing balm is perfect for those.

Speaking of scent, I feel like Shawn really knocked this one out of the park. It's definitely sweeter than I was anticipating in a "spiced" profile, but those opening citrus notes quickly settle into some warm cinnamon and vanilla notes. The whole scent package is simply intoxicating and I applaud Dennis for collaborating with Shawn. This is phenomenal all the way around.

I don't think I could convince the wife to let me pick up the Heather set right now, though. Maybe a good Christmas present idea if it's in stock around then.

PXL_20201007_141231441_2.jpg

I received my Seaforth order from WCS yesterday. A full 4 days after receiving my Seaforth order direct from Spearhead. Both ordered minutes apart.

Anyway, I initially used the Heather soap, but did not have the aftershave to pair with it. It is pretty much a straight up fougere scent. Last night, Dave (barber) had asked me if it was similar to English Fern. It's definitely a similar scent, but it's not as sharp as EF. It's a slightly warmer fougere with rounded off edges. For that reason, this is a fougere that I finally enjoy. Most fougeres in the past that I have smelled are too sharp and crisp for my nose. Of all the scent notes that are in it, I would say that Lavender is the dominant one. Which usually for me is not good, but it still works. I have not used the AS yet, to compare the scent.

Now, this morning I used the Spiced soap and AS combo. A lot of people have been asking if it is an Old Spice-type scent. It is not. The initial note you smell is the mandarin, but it is not bright and crisp, it is a warmer mandarin, which I like. Then you start to get the cinnamon spicey notes. There is a warmness that wraps it all together, which I think is from the vanilla, but I don't smell vanilla per se. Now, when I followed up with the AS, the scent profile was slightly different. The mandarin is still there, but the spice is less pronounced, and the vanilla takes a stand here. Hours later, the vanilla is the dominant note on my skin.

One note about scent strength. Off the tub, both of these are strong. Probably a 4 out of 5. Strong, but not overpowering. And one thing that is great about these scents, is that during lathering, they stay nearly as strong. Some soaps can drop off significantly while lathering, but these do not, which is a pleasure. And after one use, and only a few hours into the day, I'm really enjoying the longevity of the aftershave.

On the quality of the soap. It is great. Produces a nice thick lather, it's easy and quick to get the desired lather. And hold a bunch of water. The one ding I give it, is in a lack of slickness. It does it's job well, but isn't as slick as I prefer. Aside from that, it is stellar.

The aftershave isn't alcohol based, so it doesn't have that familiar bracing sting that some of us enjoy. @Fightingillini22 said "the post shave "toner" is more of a balm and is alcohol free". I would not say it is a balm at all, as it is still a liquid. It falls into what is commonly called a post shave milk. It does have a nice face feel that is very moisturizing. Also, I do not believe it is completely alcohol free. The first ingredient is Witch Hazel, and WH is 14% alcohol. So, while the alcohol percentage is extremely low, it is not free of it. (as an example, if it is made with 50% WH, then the overall alcohol level would be 7%.)

I received my Seaforth order from WCS yesterday. A full 4 days after receiving my Seaforth order direct from Spearhead. Both ordered minutes apart.

Anyway, I initially used the Heather soap, but did not have the aftershave to pair with it. It is pretty much a straight up fougere scent. Last night, Dave (barber) had asked me if it was similar to English Fern. It's definitely a similar scent, but it's not as sharp as EF. It's a slightly warmer fougere with rounded off edges. For that reason, this is a fougere that I finally enjoy. Most fougeres in the past that I have smelled are too sharp and crisp for my nose. Of all the scent notes that are in it, I would say that Lavender is the dominant one. Which usually for me is not good, but it still works. I have not used the AS yet, to compare the scent.

Now, this morning I used the Spiced soap and AS combo. A lot of people have been asking if it is an Old Spice-type scent. It is not. The initial note you smell is the mandarin, but it is not bright and crisp, it is a warmer mandarin, which I like. Then you start to get the cinnamon spicey notes. There is a warmness that wraps it all together, which I think is from the vanilla, but I don't smell vanilla per se. Now, when I followed up with the AS, the scent profile was slightly different. The mandarin is still there, but the spice is less pronounced, and the vanilla takes a stand here. Hours later, the vanilla is the dominant note on my skin.

One note about scent strength. Off the tub, both of these are strong. Probably a 4 out of 5. Strong, but not overpowering. And one thing that is great about these scents, is that during lathering, they stay nearly as strong. Some soaps can drop off significantly while lathering, but these do not, which is a pleasure. And after one use, and only a few hours into the day, I'm really enjoying the longevity of the aftershave.

On the quality of the soap. It is great. Produces a nice thick lather, it's easy and quick to get the desired lather. And hold a bunch of water. The one ding I give it, is in a lack of slickness. It does it's job well, but isn't as slick as I prefer. Aside from that, it is stellar.

The aftershave isn't alcohol based, so it doesn't have that familiar bracing sting that some of us enjoy. @Fightingillini22 said "the post shave "toner" is more of a balm and is alcohol free". I would not say it is a balm at all, as it is still a liquid. It falls into what is commonly called a post shave milk. It does have a nice face feel that is very moisturizing. Also, I do not believe it is completely alcohol free. The first ingredient is Witch Hazel, and WH is 14% alcohol. So, while the alcohol percentage is extremely low, it is not free of it. (as an example, if it is made with 50% WH, then the overall alcohol level would be 7%.)
Excellent review KJ thank you

Back