The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Scuttlesoap’s Whisker Whisking Incident(s): A Love Story

and...... Your video is half the length mine was. o_O

Dang man, I wish I had only half the cologne knowledge you have.

Still need to try out the Ethos soaps. I'm embarrassed to say I have never had anything by Frank...

Great shave man
Thank you my friend - Frank has some very good stuff - and a little for everyone - three different bases! And if you can’t find a scent you like - then you can make one up!

With the colognes - I’m like you and your straight razors- I won’t buy it unless it is a deal - I rarely pay full price - a couple of niche ones and Chanel never is on sale - other than that - all eBay and gray market

Thank you my friend - Frank has some very good stuff - and a little for everyone - three different bases! And if you can’t find a scent you like - then you can make one up!

With the colognes - I’m like you and your straight razors- I won’t buy it unless it is a deal - I rarely pay full price - a couple of niche ones and Chanel never is on sale - other than that - all eBay and gray market
See, I knew there was a way you frag-hounds were getting all these awesome scents without taking out a second mortgage. Are you hunting certain key words or are you just save searching the frag you’re watching for and hoping for a lightly used bottle? I always worry about getting douped by someone selling a doup…

See, I knew there was a way you frag-hounds were getting all these awesome scents without taking out a second mortgage. Are you hunting certain key words or are you just save searching the frag you’re watching for and hoping for a lightly used bottle? I always worry about getting douped by someone selling a doup…
I don’t by used frags - just because it doesn’t seem cost effective. There are some trusted retailers on eBay - PerfumeEmpire, ForeverLux, 1 Perfumes to name a few). There a several things that you can do to save some $$.

(1) Consider buying testers - these have the same “juice” but may or may not come with a cap and usually come in a tester/plain white box. For me - who cares - I just want The stuff in the bottle and testers are usually about 1/2 the price. So if you go to a gray market or eBay which already are discounting the frag - and you find a tester - you’ll save big bucks.

(2) Even with the gray market sites/discount sites - you can find coupon/promo codes that online that are even cheaper than their site. For instance - Frangrancenet.com on their site - usually promotes a 25% discount- but in reality - they always have a 37% coupon code out there. So if you find something on that site you liKe, close out your browser, clear your cache and do a google search for the frag, and click on shopping - you’ll find that same fragrance at a cheaper price (with the 37% discount) from the same site. Sometimes the YT reviewers will post the code as well.

(3) Know which sites are owned by larger companies. For instance, FrangranceX is a discount site - but they also own perfume.com. If I find something on FragranceX, I’ll search for it on Perfume.com which has better prices - same exact company.

(4) There are some sites that have slower shipping - but will have cheaper prices. Fragrancebuy.ca is a Canadian site - they only ship on Mondays - but if you are willing to wait - and why not - buy the fragrance there.

(5) Consider Dupe sites like Dua and Alexandria Fragrances (owned by the same guy) - I know there are those out there that put there nose up - but I look at it as (1) a way to try before I buy and (2) sometimes the prices of the original are so high if all you do is want to smell nice and are not a collector. These sites also have originals as well.

Also - there are shaving artisans like Ginger’s Garden that can make an homage for you as well - kind of like CBL and Ethos doing bespoke scents - GG will do a dupe for you if she knows the scent.

(6) Look on Fragrantica for similar scents. If you think you want something - and don’t want to go to Sephora or a Department store - fragrantica always lists “this fragrance reminds me of” for each frag - so you can see similar scents - sometimes those similar ones are a lot cheaper. For instance - I really thought I wanted Eau Sauvage - and Dior rarely has discounts - so I found Rochas Moustache EdT which was similar - but about 1/4 the price - that helped me determine that getting Eau Sauvage would be worth it.

(7) Buy in small decants - you can go to decantx, luckyscent, eBay) - you can get a 5,10, 30 ml decant which is much cheaper than buying a 100ml bottle.

(8) finally - the Youtube Reviewers usually have a site or two that promotes them - and they will have a 5-10% discount code - not a lot - but
The sites that I frequent are fragrancex, perfume.com, fragrancenet, maxaroma, fragrancebuy,.ca, and donnatella fragrances (though I’m mad at them right now - I bough a bottle of some sweet stuff that was really popular and sold out in a few minutes - and they bumped my purchase lol).

I don’t by used frags - just because it doesn’t seem cost effective. There are some trusted retailers on eBay - PerfumeEmpire, ForeverLux, 1 Perfumes to name a few). There a several things that you can do to save some $$.

(1) Consider buying testers - these have the same “juice” but may or may not come with a cap and usually come in a tester/plain white box. For me - who cares - I just want The stuff in the bottle and testers are usually about 1/2 the price. So if you go to a gray market or eBay which already are discounting the frag - and you find a tester - you’ll save big bucks.

(2) Even with the gray market sites/discount sites - you can find coupon/promo codes that online that are even cheaper than their site. For instance - Frangrancenet.com on their site - usually promotes a 25% discount- but in reality - they always have a 37% coupon code out there. So if you find something on that site you liKe, close out your browser, clear your cache and do a google search for the frag, and click on shopping - you’ll find that same fragrance at a cheaper price (with the 37% discount) from the same site. Sometimes the YT reviewers will post the code as well.

(3) Know which sites are owned by larger companies. For instance, FrangranceX is a discount site - but they also own perfume.com. If I find something on FragranceX, I’ll search for it on Perfume.com which has better prices - same exact company.

(4) There are some sites that have slower shipping - but will have cheaper prices. Fragrancebuy.ca is a Canadian site - they only ship on Mondays - but if you are willing to wait - and why not - buy the fragrance there.

(5) Consider Dupe sites like Dua and Alexandria Fragrances (owned by the same guy) - I know there are those out there that put there nose up - but I look at it as (1) a way to try before I buy and (2) sometimes the prices of the original are so high if all you do is want to smell nice and are not a collector. These sites also have originals as well.

Also - there are shaving artisans like Ginger’s Garden that can make an homage for you as well - kind of like CBL and Ethos doing bespoke scents - GG will do a dupe for you if she knows the scent.

(6) Look on Fragrantica for similar scents. If you think you want something - and don’t want to go to Sephora or a Department store - fragrantica always lists “this fragrance reminds me of” for each frag - so you can see similar scents - sometimes those similar ones are a lot cheaper. For instance - I really thought I wanted Eau Sauvage - and Dior rarely has discounts - so I found Rochas Moustache EdT which was similar - but about 1/4 the price - that helped me determine that getting Eau Sauvage would be worth it.

(7) Buy in small decants - you can go to decantx, luckyscent, eBay) - you can get a 5,10, 30 ml decant which is much cheaper than buying a 100ml bottle.

(8) finally - the Youtube Reviewers usually have a site or two that promotes them - and they will have a 5-10% discount code - not a lot - but
The sites that I frequent are fragrancex, perfume.com, fragrancenet, maxaroma, fragrancebuy,.ca, and donnatella fragrances (though I’m mad at them right now - I bough a bottle of some sweet stuff that was really popular and sold out in a few minutes - and they bumped my purchase lol).
This info deserves its own thread! Make it so!

Awesome info, thanks!

Proud of you boy! Excellent technique and a great 1st shave with the Heljestrand! I forgot to mention the edge on that is a complete coticule edge from bevel to stick and then finished on a black Arkansas so dilucot/ diluark. Great beginning to your next wallet emptying AD

Muahahahaha

DUDE!…….

What a stellar production and performance!

• 1st true straight shave with a stealthy Heljestrand
• complete 3 passes in 15 minutes
• includes high risk cross neck maneuver
• knows what to call a carbonated soft drink
• deliberately draws blood for the fan base, (I couldn’t see it though)

🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩
👏👍💈

Proud of you boy! Excellent technique and a great 1st shave with the Heljestrand! I forgot to mention the edge on that is a complete coticule edge from bevel to stick and then finished on a black Arkansas so dilucot/ diluark. Great beginning to your next wallet emptying AD

Muahahahaha
It was such an awesome experience and I thank you my friend!

And like I need to put another hole in my wallet 😂

DUDE!…….

What a stellar production and performance!

• 1st true straight shave with a stealthy Heljestrand
• complete 3 passes in 15 minutes
• includes high risk cross neck maneuver
• knows what to call a carbonated soft drink
• deliberately draws blood for the fan base, (I couldn’t see it though)

🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩
👏👍💈
LOL - thank you my friend - other than I couldn’t pronounce the name of the razor - all around - I felt proud - and just a tiny bit of blood - because chicks dig a manly man 😂

Very well done! Your muscle memory will soon be built and you will be amazed at the shaves you’re going to start getting. Your experience will vary slightly, depending on your shave options, but you will get to the point of not worrying if you’re going to cut yourself. That’s because, you’ll KNOW you won’t. Granted some razors are definitely more high risk than others, like @BarberDave & @Majorrich’s last shaves, but you should build your confidence quickly!
Keep at it and don’t forget to strop right after your shave. You’ve got this!

Very well done! Your muscle memory will soon be built and you will be amazed at the shaves you’re going to start getting. Your experience will vary slightly, depending on your shave options, but you will get to the point of not worrying if you’re going to cut yourself. That’s because, you’ll KNOW you won’t. Granted some razors are definitely more high risk than others, like @BarberDave & @Majorrich’s last shaves, but you should build your confidence quickly!
Keep at it and don’t forget to strop right after your shave. You’ve got this!
Thank you! I’ll keep watching everyone’s videos to better understand the techniques involved! I appreciate your confidence!

Back